4.0 out of 5 stars The frindle is mightier than the sword
Published on July 6 2004 by E. R. Bird

3.0 out of 5 stars Frindle
The book frindle takes place in Lanuage arts in 5th grade.The teacher is Mrs. Granger and Nick is a trouble maker in school.Then outside Nick found pen and called it a frindle.The book is funny beacuse of Nick and Mrs. Granger andthe word war.
Published on Feb. 11 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars The frindle is mightier than the sword, July 6 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
At long last! An early reader chapter book designed to give full all-encompassing glory to language itself! Sort of. I first heard about "Frindle" some five years ago when it was burning up the bookshelves across the country. Kids couldn't get enough of the semi-raucous tale of one boy's attempt to make a contribution to the English language. Cleverly, author Andrew Clements has created a book that doesn't fall back into the old good vs. bad/teacher vs. student riff we all know so well. Though a book that is written with fairly young readers in mind, it successfully renders huge themes in bite size portions.

Nick Allen is used to getting great ideas. Who could forget his fabulous third grade attempts to turn his classroom into a sunny tropical isle in the dead of winter? Or his successful utilization of bird calls to annoy a fourth grade prof? But now Nick has come across a real challenge and her name is Granger. Mrs. Granger. As the woman in charge of the elementary school's language arts, Mrs. Granger is a true aficionado of the wonders of the dictionary. After tangling, and losing, with the clever teacher, Nick springs upon a brilliant idea. Why not add his own little word to the world's vocabulary? The idea comes to him in a flash, and before you know it he's grabbed the nearest pen and renamed it "frindle". As Mrs. Granger retaliates, defending (what in her mind is) the perfectly serviceable and already existing word "pen", frindle's popularity and publicity grows and grows. Yet in the end, it seems as though Nick was playing into Mrs. Granger's plans all along.

Accompanied by the really well wrought and beautifully designed illustrations of Brian Selznick, the book is just a low-key amusing look at how words affect people. Clements includes an array of interesting facts and ideas, some of which even adults will find themselves astounded by. For example, the book states that in 1791 a Dublin theater manager made up the word, "quiz" on a bet and that this word was (until the creation of "frindle") the only word in the English language made up for no particular reason. I tried to ascertain if this was true by glancing through my impossibly old Webster's Third New International Dictionary. When I looked up "quiz" I hit the following sentence: Unknown origin. That's proof enough for me, though I'm sure a glance through the OED would clear everything up. And how many books written with middle readers in mind give you such clever facts couched in an interesting story? I was delighted with the characters in this book. From clever Nick and his ideas to Mrs. Granger, an adult who is truly an intelligent match. Any villainy this book presents later turns out to be no more than a clever ruse. So kudos for giving teachers the credit they deserve at last! Kudos indeed.

A good pairing of books of this reading level with similar protagonists would be "Frindle" and the slightly more recent Lois Lowry offering "Gooney Bird Greene". Both books observe the use of language and how it affects us and both have clever red headed protagonists that defy all expectations. I doubt you could find two better books to present to kids with the hopes of getting them involved in reading. I give "Frindle" an especially warm recommendation and I am sure kids will be inspired by it. Go! Read! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Frindle review, July 9 2008
Helga Tamagi "book dork" (Canada,Calgary,Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
Frindle was a good book. It had lots of interesting words in it especially the word Frindle. It takes place in a school drops a pen and Nick picks it up for her and said "Here is your Frindle." So if you like reading books about school stuff then Frindle is a book I highly recommend.So put away your Frindle and start reading now!

5.0 out of 5 stars CO000000000000OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooool Book Ever Writen!!, June 11 2004
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
I love this book! I like the chacters and the teachers and children! I never seen or read a book better than this! I think EVERYONE will enjoy this book! Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Frindle, June 10 2004
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
I read Frindle by Andrew Clements. I gave Frindle 4 out of 5 stars rating. I thought Frindle was a good book. Its pretty cool how Nick makes up a word and its heard all around the world. I like how Nick is smart and he is a trouble maker. It's funny how Nick's mom and Nick's principal argue. The teachers at Nick's school said that anyone who said the word Frindle has to stay after school and write this sentence one hundred times: Iam writting this punishment with a pen. That made everyone want to use the word even more. I don't really understand that. Its awesome how Nick was on t.v. I wish I was Nick because he became rich because the word Frindle was on merchandise. The word Frindle was also put in the new dictionary. Nick must have felt great knowing that his word was in the dictionary. I recommend that you read this book. All in all, Frindle is an overall good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frindle By Andrew Clements, June 9 2004
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
I liked Frindle because it was funny. I thought it was funny because making up words is fun.I also like to make up words like Nick.It was kind of weird because making up a word and putting it in the dictionary!!!The story was funny,serious, game like, and a little surprising.The story is interesting how a little word can go a long way.Nick Allen he made up a word and then, boom, the whole school is using it. Then the whole state is using it. Then the whole United States of America is using Frindle it!!!! This is my book reveiw by Christina Staniszewski

5.0 out of 5 stars frindle, May 17 2004
magen (beebe Ar USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
It is about a boy named Nick and he gets tired of the word pen . His teacher has alwaystold him that he can make a new word. one day he was with his friend were on a coner and he had found a pen. He picked it up and told his friend that he has found a frindle. When he got to school the next day he had told everyone that he had made a new word.Sothey thought it was cool.They started to use frindle instad of pen .The teachers got tired of the word used every second,so Mrs.granger started to make them stay after school and write a 100 setences every time they said it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, April 28 2004
Booklover (Burnaby, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
This book is great.Okay this boy Nick he says Frindle instead of pen.It starts off his teacher mad at him for not saying pen but soon everybody is saying frindle and he can't leave his house without millions of reporters taking pictures of him and asking him questions about frindle. After I read this book I tried making up new words like frindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Ever, March 12 2004
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
Every page of this book is funny and exciting.
As my teacher said, "Frindle is my all time favorite book"
It's very true. I LOVE it. You can read this book in a snap.
I'm a really slow reader and i don't really enjoy reading books but i just couldn't stop reading this book.I've never been so interested in a book before. This book is about a boy named Nick, and his teacher Ms. Granger.Nick started to use his new word..Frindle..and then....I shouldn't say the whole story...you have to read it and find it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books EVER!!!!, March 6 2004
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
This is a story about a boy named Nick, who kids at his school know him for his stalling questions to get out of homework assignments. But one day, Nick & his friend, Janet are walking home from school. Nick decides that he should make a new word. So he said "Here's your Frindle." This sets off a chain reaction that soon, the world is using his word. My favorite part is at the end when his old teacher, Mrs. Granger (Who he thought hated the word Frindle) sent him a package with a dictionary. And the dictionary has Frindle in it!! This is a wonderful story that will make you want to sit down for hours at a time reading it. I know I did. This is probably the best book I have ever read! I hope you like it also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frindle, March 2 2004
This review is from: Frindle (Paperback)
The book Frindle, by Andrew Clements, is a very good book. If you like this book then you'll love, The Landry News, A School Story, and A Week in the Woods, also by Andrew Clements. I hope you enjoy Frindle as much as I do.
Nick is a boy at school in 5th grade. Sometimes he has crazy ideas. One time he turned his classroom into a tropical paradise! But wait until you hear about his latest idea: the frindle!
I could never put the book down! Andrew Clements chose to write about something that could actually happen. It made me think a little more about what kids can do. This story is filled with some amazing facts!
Andrew Clements could have made the story a little longer. It kind of got confusing and jumped around.
Frindle's message is that just because you're a kid doesn't mean that you have limited possibilities. Also, you can make up things if you believe in them. Frindle is a great book!

Frindle
Frindle by Andrew Clements (Hardcover - Oct. 1 1996)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.59