5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Fantasy!`
This is going on my list of books for kids who want more fantasy once they have finished Harry Potter. Like Harry and the Artemis Fowl books, Downer has created a world of magic within our own. The Boston background is fun. I have decided there cannot be too many books about dragons. I think my students are going to love this book!
Published on Sept. 29 2003 by LonestarReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat entertaining
If you're between the ages of 9 and 12, then this book isn't so bad. But if you're a little older then you'll see all the holes in this story. A lot of the most important events are a little too convenient. Some things are too random or illogical. But if you don't really care about that, then it's okay. Worth reading if you're bored and have nothing else.
Published on June 28 2003 by Smokey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Fantasy!`, Sept. 29 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat entertaining, June 28 2003
Smokey (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fantasy read, May 7 2003
Mary (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hatching Magic (Hardcover)
I took this with me on a quick vacation to Cancun and loved it. There is plenty of subtle humor for grownups mixed in(kind of like Sesame Street does) and the local Boston color is excellent. The ending is a definite page-turner--I had to go back and read it over again so I could enjoy it the second time. The first time I just could not wait to see what happened and sped through it! As the mother of four daughters, I appreciate the fact that the heroine is a girl, but I think boys will enjoy it just as much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, just bad, Dec 3 2004
This review is from: Hatching Magic (Paperback)
This book was boring from beginning to end. You were always waiting for something to happen. It was really to fall asleep on! The girl had absolutley nothing to do in the whole book and was just a sideline to give it some kind of interest. SHe doesn't really spend the whole book takeing care of the egg she has it for about 5 pages. Her description of dragons is horrific. She said that the dragon was too big to get through a normal door, she then goes on to saying that baby dragons are big, they are a third of the size of a full grown yet the offspring that she found could fit in a cat cage? A cat times three is still smaller then a human! There's no other word to describe it but bad. I seriously don't recomend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ranting and raving over how stupid this book was...., Aug. 7 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Hatching Magic (Paperback)
I don't think I will delve into detail about the book...you know, summarizing it and giving a description because what is the point? It was a terrible book and I don't think anybody should waste their time reading it. I am a huge fan of fantasy -- Harry potter, artemis fowl, bartimaeus trilogy...everything!....exceopt this book. The writing was flat and boring, the plot was predictable and the girl had nothing to do with the book. There weren't any feelings in the book...the demon wanted to be good, but that was just about all the author said...he didn't elaborate or say why or whatever. I know i sound really B*T*Hy, but i honestly did not like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, dramatic, magical (of course...), April 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hatching Magic (Hardcover)
I loved this book! Funny, innovative even in this Here and Now that is overflowing with books on magic and wizards. A good read for grownups and children alike. Adults (well, women) can identify with poor Febrys, with aching feet jammed into uncomfortable shoes, and the younger population will appreciate Theodora's strength and spunk, and will surely identify with her.

Hatching Magic
Hatching Magic by Ann Downer (Hardcover - May 1 2003)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 19.96