Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Board bookChange

on July 1, 2001
Hippos Go Beserk is a humorous story of what happens when a lonely hippo decides to call some friends for a party. The text is beautifully rhythmic and melodic and the pictures are bright and cute. The story involves counting up to nine and then backwards from nine to one again. The theme had potential to be monotonous as it involves a series of pages with one more (or less) hippo on each page, but Boynton did a good job of varying the illustrations and what the hippos are doing on each page so it is enjoyable and humorous.
This is one of my 14 month old daughter's very favorite books. She carries it around the house with her. She LOVES the middle page (the climax of the story), where "all the hippos go beserk" and has caught on to the change in the rhythm of the story and the change in my voice when I read it. She thumbs through the book and when she gets to that page she shrieks and grins and bounces up and down. Overall it's well-written and well-illustrated.
I have also found that this is one of the few toddler books that "speaks to" me personally. I really enjoy the cute story and the rhythm of the prose, but I also find that when I read the story it leaves me reflective. Parenthood can be lonely at times, and I'm inspired by the lonely hippo at the beginning of the story who takes the initiative to call some friends and throw a party. Whenever I read this book I am left feeling more lighthearted and inspired to call a few friends myself.
on August 15, 2003
A wondrous counting book that tells of a lonely hippo who calls two others on the phone. Then larger and larger groups keep arriving (three though nine) until all 45 hippos and the beast (a guest of one of the groups) go berserk and party all through the hippo night. But at the hippo break of day, they all begin to go away (nine through two) until all that is left is the original one.
Most counting books only count in one direction. This fun book counts up and then back down again (although it doesn't use zero). It even makes mention of how many they add up to.
Typical Boynton illustrations add to the fun of this book.
on July 4, 2001
This book has all the elements of fun--one author, who obviously loves to write children's books, one subject (HIPPOS) and counting and you have the ingredients for a fun book. My 6 year old loves Hippos Go Berserk! and is learning to read it. She loves the counting as well. This book is in our Boynton collection (we must have the "Boynton Memorial Library" by now!) and it gets read weekly. We have to rotate through all the other Boynton books we have. It's a very good book and I recommend it, for children of ALL ages.
on May 15, 2003
My 18 month old son LOVES this book! All I need to say is..."One hippo all alone, calls two hippos on the phone" (First lines from book), and my son will search the house for the book until he finds it! It is a great book, the illustrations are top notch. He has about 30 other board books, but this is by far his favorite. Since I read it to him at least 5 times a day, I know it by heart! I can't wait to get more of Sandra Boynton's books. Since it is a board book, it is very durable! Go Berserk! You won't regret it!
on March 26, 2002
Sandra Boynton's use of perfect rhyming draws the young and old in to a tale that is more fun than any other counting I've ever done. You aren't even aware that the goal is to learn to count. It is definitely the most memorable of all of the counting books I have shared with my daughters. It is fun sentimental and wonderfully illustrated. I have actually worn out a paper copy of this book. I highly reccomnend the more sturdy board book version for this reason.
on November 28, 2000
This is a delightful book! I bought it for my 6 month old son, who has a limited attention span for stories but LOVES this one. I also gave it to my 2 year old niece who, according to my sister-in-law, asks to have "Hippos Go Zerk!" read at least 16 times per day.
Boynton also adds some humorous touches that Mom and Dad can appreciate. Look for the Hippo Whistler's Mother!
on March 27, 2003
This is a terrific book. It is my favorite to read and my baby loves it. The illustrations are wonderful: simple for the small baby, but with wonderful comic detail for new discoveries at every read. The final page brings ideal closure to the story. This is an excellent book for your child's library.
on January 10, 2002
This is my absolute favorite little person's book, and it's been so for 18 years. The child likes the drawings and learning to count and the parent so enjoys building up to the overflowing party where the hippos really let loose (in a very tame way). It's a "must" gift for new parents.
on April 7, 1998
"Hippos Go Berzerk" was one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. The way numbers of hippos were used to teach basic math skills with fun and exitement, along with a little suspense, was amazing. I love this book so much, that it has been decreed the Official Book of The SSG.
on February 21, 2000
This is an excellent book for early readers and pre-school teachers alike (I'm of the latter category) A great transition book, steady build up, allow your kids a few seconds to go beserk, then a countdown to quietness. SO simple and delightful, a must for every teachers table !