5.0 out of 5 stars my childhood as a book!
Published on Oct. 1 2003 by amycurls

3.0 out of 5 stars Reacuring Nightmares
Published on April 8 2002 by discumbobulated

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and realistic view of farm life, Oct. 20 2009
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm (Paperback)
A few years from now, we plan on moving from the city to the country, and so in the interim I am trying to teach my children something of farm life. I bought Our Animal Friends and Maple Hill Farm to read with my 4 year-old son. I was not disappointed in this book.

The water colour illustrations are not the most attractive I've seen--which is why I gave four stars only--but other than that, the book is a delight. The authors go into great detail describing all the different animals on their farm, explaining their individual quirks and personalities. Reading this book, a child will get the idea that animals, like people, are all unique.

My son enjoys reading this book, and to my surprise has already memorized parts of it after only reading it with me a few times. He seems especially fascinated by the page describing the dogs which were accidentally killed or purposely put down for various reasons. I like that the book shows a realistic view of farm life which sometimes includes death. It does not show a romanticized view of friendly animals frolicking together in the green meadow, like you sometimes see in children's books. Those books are nice, too--but I wanted to show my son something of what farm life is really like, and I think this book does this adequately.

I would recommend this book for children aged 4-10 who are interested in farm animals or farm life.

5.0 out of 5 stars my childhood as a book!, Oct. 1 2003
"amycurls" (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm (Paperback)
This was my all-time-favorite book growing up as a child--I literally read it until it was falling apart at the seams. I loved the wry humor of it and they way that it didn't "talk down" to kids, like a lot of other children's books in the seventies (as I remember them, anyway). When my mother and I learned it was going out of print (this was probably the late eighties), my mom bought all the copies she could find, and kept them in her closet to give to the young children her nieces and nephews kept having. And I think there is still the last copy hidded away in that closet for my as-yet-unborn child. I searched for it here on a lark, and I am so happy to see it back in print for a whole other generation to enjoy!! I definitely be buying copies for all the children of my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book for 20 something years.....now my son's too, Feb. 8 2003
Christina (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm (Paperback)
I was 3 years or so when my mom starting reading me this book. It's one of the most memorable events of my childhood. Now my book is falling apart but my son, who is almost 4, can say every line with me. It is so charming and funny. Tonight I sat down to try and find a replacement for my old book and was delighted to find it on Amazon. All my friends want it for their children too. I hope Alice and Martin know who much it means to all of us. Thanks and keep it for generations

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS BOOK!!, June 6 2002
Sharon Estes (Charlottesville, va United States) - See all my reviews
I checked this book out so many times from the school library when I was little, that the librarian asked my parents to buy me a copy so that other kids could have a chance to check it out. The cats , by far, were my favorite part, especially MAX! If you know a child that likes animals, this is the book to get them!! It's fun, has great pictures, great humor, and is just my all around favorite book of my childhood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fondest Childhood Memories-Mine and Passed Down, April 12 2002
Lisa Dames (Albany, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This is the most memorable book of my childhood and adult life. I read it countless times as a child, and kept it safe until I was able to share this wonderful creation with my niece, Phylicia, and nephew, Mark. As a child, living in the country, books were all I had, and this one kept me content for hours. In turn, Fee and Mark grew to love it as it covered every animal they had been exposed to in their short lives. It gave them insight into the animal's personalities, how to treat them, how to care for them. They got to imagine having these types of pets of their own, and it made for many creative days for the three of us, reading and learning together.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reacuring Nightmares, April 8 2002
discumbobulated (Anaheim, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This was my absolute favorite book as a young girl. I must have spent thousands of hours just looking over each characteristic of each animal. I used to have the same nightmare over and over as a child. It involved a mean, bad..., billy goat with red eyes. I haven't looked at this book for 5 minuets and 11 years. I just realized where my nightmares came from. It has been a phsycological breakthrough. Sam the Billy Goat. As I went on reading the book, now a full grown adult, there is some questions that raised about the evil characteristics of some of the animals. All I can say is beware...childrens books are powerful...ex: Where the Wild things are...enough rambling...

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay!!!, Feb. 7 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm (Paperback)
I am so happy to see this book back in print. This was a favorite book of mine in childhood, and I am looking forward to sharing it with my children. I have my old copy, but it is worn with love (I used to read it over and over again) and have been looking for another copy so that I can keep one safe for future generations. Judging from the price of the original addition on the used book market, I am not alone in recognizing what a treasure this book is!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Started My Love And Curiousity of Animals, Feb. 6 2002
This review is from: Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm (Paperback)
I still have my original - it's a book near and dear to my heart. The illustrations are rich, varied and colorful while the story is enjoyable and down to earth.
I always found the last few pages to be kind of sad, especially the spot about the lonely secton of the woods where the old dogs are buried. (I still get a little twinge of sadness when I see the illustration!) If you've ever lived on a farm you will relate to the items in the story. While some people may feel some of the items are a little harsh (i.e the "bad dogs" section), DO NOT let that steer you away from picking this book up. It's a wonderful book that has been appreciated by many people for many years and will continue to be appreciated for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm, Dec 20 2001
By A Customer
I have an original hardcover copy of this book and have been looking for a new copy for 4 years. I am very happy to see the book back in print, however I would like to see a hardcover edition again. My copy is almost 28 years old and the cover is not in very good condition. I have recommended this story to several friends and they are excited that it is available again. This is a great story of farm life, and very true to the habbits of animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars We need a reissue, April 4 2000
Andrew Sherman (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Great 70s books that needs a reissue. We borrowed this from the library and it is a dense slice of farm life.

ARRAY(0xb2b09f00)

Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm by Martin Provensen (Paperback - Dec 1 2001)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89