5.0 out of 5 stars The First Part last
Published on May 16 2004 by Shanique Daley

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle Like Hendrix's review of The First Part Last
Looking on Amazon.ca under Teen-Social Issues-Teen Pregnancy, I saw THE FIRST PART LAST. And so I bought it.

Like the way I KNOW IT'S OVER shows teen pregnancy from a male POV, THE FIRST PART LAST shows a male POV of teen parenthood.

Published on June 22 2009 by C. Dey

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Part last, May 16 2004
Shanique Daley (Lake Worth, Fl , USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
This book shares with us the life of a 16 year old boy, who has just had the responsibilities of parenthood put in his hands. He has to put up with sleepless nights, and multiple errands of picking up and dropping off Feather (his daughter)while still going to school. Throughout the book you are left wondering why Bobby is taking care of the baby practically by himself, and why he refers to his girlfriend Nia as if she is gone. Well by the end of the book Angela Johnson finally hits us with a bit of vital information. It turns out that after having the baby, Nia was placed in an Irreversible vegetative coma.
Angela Johnson creatively webs the book together by smoothly traveling through chapters entitled "now" and "then" in which Bobby (the teen father)talks about the good old days that he, Nia,and his two best friends K-boy and J.L, use to share. And when it switches over to "now" he shares with us the hardship of being a parent. Yet through all of this is, he has this unconditional love for his daughter,and this love was so strong that when it was time for him to sign the adoption papers, he decided that he should be a man and handle the responsibilities of being a father, even though he is unsure of exactly what it is he is suppose to do.
This book will have you glued till the end for there is never a dull moment, where you don't want to find out what's going to happen next. And no matter what kind of person you are, your heart will definatly have been touched by the end of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle Like Hendrix's review of The First Part Last, June 22 2009
C. Dey "HandleLikeHendrix" (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Part Last (Mass Market Paperback)

The style of this book was similar to the prose of WAKE-- simplistic with short chapters. The chapters in this book either titled 'then' and 'now' for the most part.

THE FIRST PART LAST was really short-- 132 pages. That said, it was sweet and sad but also lacked well developed characters and background information (asides from the chapters titled 'then').

Bobby was a fairly likable protagonist. He was a pretty good father, I thought and he seemed to take the situation -- and responsibility-- seriously.

I think it would have been a better book if it and Bobby would have had a bit more humor. It doesn't have to be alot, just enough to lessen the somber tone that carries throughout this novel(la).

Also, this book was predictable in the sense that, as I read this book, I was not suprised by any of the experiances that Bobby faced. They were all things that I had assumed and knew prior.

However, the ending was quite interesting and unique-- I found.

But I felt that because THE FIRST PART LAST was so short, it had less time to make a good impression and wholey satisfy the reader. And in my case, it didn't.

If you want a male POV on teen parenthood, then this would be a good book to read. Until you find a another book similar, but better.

Reviewed by Callie at Handle Like Hendrix

5.0 out of 5 stars the first part last, May 31 2007
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
The first part last was a book that effected all the human emotions. It not only saddened you by the tragic events but it also causes you joy with its display of father daughter love. Bobby and Nia, a teenage couple who are soon to be parents, have a serious decison to make. Wheater or not to keep there baby girl. They both decied not to until complications occur during labor and Nia may no longer be around. What will Bobby do? Will he keep the baby and raise her as a single teenage father or will he give her up to someone more "fit" to raise a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars One that you won't want to miss..., July 14 2004
Lori Hudson "llhcat" (Chattanooga, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
I chose to read this book for a literature class this summer. I found it hard to put down and I was sorry when it was over. It is the story of a 16 year old boy who chooses to raise his baby daughter instead of putting her up for adoption. I think every teenager (boys and girls) should read this book. It has a great message and I believe all teenagers could relate to the characters in the book. This is the first Angela Johnson book I have read, but I can't wait to put my hands on her other books!
(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Now and Then, May 23 2004
Boop "caramelchocolate" (Aiken, South Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
This was the first book I read about teenage pregnancy from the male perspective. This book was educational and enlightening.
In reading the book I noticed how the author barely talked about the mother in the present tense. It made me wonder what she was feeling and thinking, but as I read on I understood why.
When the author spoke in Bobby's voice it was very honest and poignant. I loved when Bobby realized Nia's (the mother) fate and stepped up to the plate and decided to be a single father, which is very rare in this day and age. The author also made the reader realize what a single mother goes through on a day to day basis. Very interesting book, I am going to pass this one off to my son's also.
Later...

5.0 out of 5 stars be true to your self, May 13 2004
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
This book will allow young readers to enter the life of their peer. THis is a must have on every teens bookshelf. Written in poetic, smooth verses, you will feel as if you know the character and wish you could help him. This book will deter some young minds from entering the world of adulthood too early. It will make you sad, angry, and hopeful. The characters are genuine and there is so much emotion in this book. I adored it and you will read it over and over again. Buy one for every teenager you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bobby's interior world is an important point of view, April 27 2004
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
Bobby, sixteen years old, is catapulted into single parenthood. Feather, his baby daughter, is completely his responsibility after her mother, Nia, suffers brain damage. The story switches between the pregnancy and "now". Bobby is both believable and beautiful. He can be raw and tender at the same time. After reading what it was like for Bobby to hold his baby girl on his stomach and kiss the top of her head, what it is to live every day as a young guy parenting on his own, I can't think stereotypically or blanketly about teenaged parents. Without being an "issues book", Johnson's is a book that cuts to the core. This is a marvelous book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The First Part Last, April 12 2004
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
The First Part Last, by Angela Johnson!I would give this book 4 stars. Its about a 16 year old urban boy by the name of Bobby, who is suddenly a single parent after the death of his baby mother Nia! Bobby then faces a hard choice of either giving his new baby (Feather) up for adoption or taking on the responibility of being a father to young Feather. Overall this book is great, I just wish it was longer! I read this 131 page book in about 2 1/2 hours! Trust me this book is worth buying!!Best of Luck with The first Part Last! And I hope I have helped you! (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, March 25 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
My daughter (6th grade) brought this book home from her school library, and while reading it made a couple comments to me regarding the book which piqued my interest. I picked it up one evening after she went to bed and read the entire book in one sitting. I would recommend this for mature young-adults. It is extremely well-written and contains, in my opinion, an exceptionally emotional ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Awaited Perspective-Teenage Fatherhood, March 3 2004
This review is from: The First Part Last (Hardcover)
Bobby describes "Just Frank", a man from his neighborhood who always asks when Bobby is going to be a man, as a joke. When "Just Frank" dies saving a young girl, Bobby begins to respect "Just Frank" and understand what it would take for him to be a responsible young father.
Bobby quickly learns that parenting is not an easy job. Angela Johnson gives a clear and accurate description of how totally exhausted new parents get. Bobby is on his own with no one making his experience easier for him.
Bobby is by no means perfect, but he grows as his experiences as a new father change and change him every day.
There is nothing false in this book. Bobby's life is not an easy one, and at times he wants to run away from the stress his situation is causing him.
All in all, Bobby unselfishly makes choices to do what is right for the baby. At times, he does consider just running away from it all, as all new parents do.
This book is worthy of its accolades and I can't say enough good things about it. Read this book and suggest it to others. Anyone can enjoy this truthful look at the ability of one small baby to completely change your life, your goals, your perspectives, and your sleep schedule.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could live our lives backward and experience the first part last? I think it would.

The First Part Last
The First Part Last by Angela Johnson (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 2005)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 7.59