4.0 out of 5 stars good for all teens and older
got this set for my daughters, was a easy read for me and I expect they will enjoy it. good for all teens, some of the later books in this series deal with feelings and ideas better suited for 15yrs and older, but this one is ok for the slightly younger readers too.
Published 1 month ago by rynne

2.0 out of 5 stars T''was Okay...I suppose
Published on May 20 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars good for all teens and older, March 10 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars need to get my hands on the second book, Feb. 26 2012
Fantasys Ink (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've heard a great deal about Tamora Pierce and being a lover of both fantasy and YA, I decided to give her first series a try. In Alanna: The First Adventure, Alanna doesn't want to be a lady but rather a knight and switches places with her brother, Thom, who wishes to be a sorcerer instead of being a knight. Although it didn't sound like the most original story, I still went ahead and gave the book a try.

The writing was very simple, nothing too detailed, and a lot of dialogue. Still, I found myself enjoying Alanna: The First Adventure. It was a very fast and easy read for me and I managed to finish it all in one sitting. I think it's a great book to get children into reading. I also believe older readers would enjoy the book as a light read.

The story and the world might not have been anything I haven't already seen, but I still appreciated the time Pierce spent on her characters and introducing us to the world. The book starts off when Alanna is ten and goes on until she is fourteen. Obviously, we saw a great deal of Alanna growing up. I'm guessing we'll continue to see her growth throughout the rest of the series, as it is mentioned that in order to get knighted, one must go through a trial when they reach the age of eighteen.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and seeing more of Alanna and her growth as a character. This is a wonderful book to get kids into reading and a fun quick read for those that love fantasy or just YA/Middle Grade books in general. Now I just need to get my hands on the second book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most awesome book ever!, June 8 2004
By A Customer
I would know that there are many good books out there. But there is one that rules above them all. When Alanna first hatches a plan to switch places with her twin brother, she has no idea what's coming her way. They decide that she, a girl, will go to be a knight, while her brother learns to be a sorcerer. The plan is put into action secretly, and all seems to go according to plan. But when Alanna arrives at the castle training school, she realizes that it's no piece of cake. Her muscles ache, her head throbbs, and she has piles of homework, but she toughs through it, her ambition to be the first woman knight never stifled. Some try to squash her, while others cheer her on. With the help of her friends, who, along with the rest of the world, still have no idea she's a girl, she keeps trying her best.As she slowly morphs into a knight, visions of dark towers begin to haunt her dreams. What does this mean? Why is this happening? Alanna doesn't know, but she means to find out.
This amazing action, adventure, fantasy and romance will draw you in for the time of your life. Struggle along with Alanna as she juggles friends, knighthood, love, school, and her crazy visions. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because it captures you, and you can't stop reading. The time it takes to turn the page is to long, and SSR is to short. So if you want super action, suspense, and adventure, read this rockin' book! :)

2.0 out of 5 stars T''was Okay...I suppose, May 20 2002
By A Customer
It was an alright book, for a bit of light reading. I'm twelve and I like fantasy novels, but this one didn't really do what it could have done. It had a lot of potential, but hasn't done anything about it. Hopefully the 2nd, 3rd and if I could be bothered by then 4th book will have more of a storyline. I would DEFINATELY reccomend this book if you are prepared to read the other books in the series before you get a storyline. So, really, it was a great introductory book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!!, Dec 29 2009
K. Edwards (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alanna: The First Adventure (Mass Market Paperback)
Alanna of Tortall and her twin brother Thom are about to be sent to school. Because he is a boy, Thom will be trained as a knight. As a girl, Alanna is expected to study at the convent. However, Thom would rather learn sorcery, and Alanna dreams of fighting for the king.

So Alanna chops off her hair and switches places with her brother. She travels to the palace of King Roald, where she will be trained as a knight.

But how can she hold her own against the dark and powerful Duke Roger, who is strangely suspicious of her? And how long can she lie to her friends, who now include both the crown prince and the prince of thieves?

This is book 1 in the "Song of the Lioness" quartet (Book 2: In the Hand of the Goddess; Book 3: The Woman Who Rides Like a Man; Book 4: Lioness Rampant).

Pierce is a master of fantasy, and this is one of my favourite series ever. It's excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Fav Fantasy, April 7 2009
This review is from: Alanna: The First Adventure (Mass Market Paperback)
This was one of the first fantasy novels I had ever read, I think I first picked it up when I was 12ish. I fell in love with all of the characters. I still love reading this book even though I am now 24. I love the strong female characters that Tamora Pierce writes about, and even though it does have a female lead I still think that guys would enjoy these adventures too, there is enough action to keep anyone all ages entertained. It's an easy read, and fairly short, the books do get longer as they go, and if you continue to read novels set in Tamora Pierce's Tortall her books get longer and even more adventure packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love those books!, Jan. 6 2008
This review is from: Alanna: The First Adventure (Mass Market Paperback)
Hey!I LOVE Tamora Peirce's books!I have 12 of them i just finished The Song of The Lioness quartet!They were VERY good!I think Alanna is a very good charater i also like the fact she got away with pretending to be a boy!If you ask wich one was my fave i would say all of them if you have read the hole series i sugest you read The Immortals quartet about a girl Verildaine (Daine) who has Wild Magic anyway I wont say any more but ..... if you are looking for something to read I highly sugest this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, Sept. 8 2005
This review is from: Alanna: The First Adventure (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is the first in a quartet. The story follows the life of a young woman named Alanna who switches places with her twin Thom, to learn to become a knight of Tortall. Throughout the story, the reader follows Alannas successes and failures keeping you captivated throughout. Tamora Pierce really makes you feel like Tortall could be a real place, and gives younger readers a strong heroine they can really look up to, without her being completely unrealistic (i.e. superwoman). Tamora really gives her characters life in this novel, and the story is sophisticated enough that even older readers can enjoy it, although I would not suggest the novel for younger readers. I myself have enjoyed this particular book (and series) as well as many of her other works many times over, ever since I read one of her books a few years ago. This is one of the most enjoyable books I've read; a definite must read for teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic!, Sept. 3 2005
Lin Snow (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alanna: The First Adventure (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book late in highschool as a distraction from my studies. After finishing it, I read the rest of the series as well as some other (though not as great) series by Tamora Pierce.
Characters are realistic and well-written. This would grip any intelligent and imaginitive child, and would also appear to young adults.
Strong female characters are very important to present to young women especially, and this is just the book (and series!) to do that with.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a book to treasure, Sept. 12 2004
Katt (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the best fantasy book I have ever read, I read it for the very first time about six years ago and I still love it! Alanna is my favourite book although the whole quartet is superb. Tamora Pierce brings her world of Tortall to life, when you read the books you are truly there, when the book ends you are left wondering what you are doing in your world rather than Alanna's. The characters are alive, you cry through their sorrows and laugh with their joys. This is a book to treasure, if you haven't read it already take the time, your experience will last a lifetime.

ARRAY(0xb43c7360)

Alanna: The First Adventure
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 2005)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49