4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, a lttle technical, Nov. 22 2003
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I don't have a biology background but was (am) very interested in learning more about amphibians since we're setting up a neat frog pond in the back yard. So this was a book I came across and its pretty good for the lay person like me but it does get a bit technical in parts (so its probably better for beginner biology student or someone with the basics already under their belt). There are some really neat drawings in here - like those that show the different toe shapes of different salamanders and then go on to describe the different modes of locomotion. There's interesting behavioral info like territorialism in salamanders (I had no idea! they always seem so mellow!) And there's a fascinating chapter (short unfortunately) on homing and migration. There are lots of neat chapters, those are just a few items that spring to mind. I'm still looking for more books that will give me a good basic understanding of the life and times of amphibians but this was certainly a great start. I highly recommend it since it does have so much info and for the lay person like myself it gave me a chance to expand my knowledge. I'm fascinated by vernal pools and the whole migration/reproduction cycles but this was a good start.

4.0 out of 5 stars well-written and easy to read, June 25 2001
Jodi (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This book is intended for a general audience and is great for anyone who wants to know more about frogs, toads, salamanders, and caecilians. Despite this fact, I'm sure that even professional herpetologists will find this book interesting and learn something that they do not know. Chapters include: skin, breathing, food habits, voice, reproduction and declining amphibians. Overall, an interesting and highly informative book. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book detailing Amphibians, Jan. 9 2010
A. Smith "A.smith" (BC) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy this book, A Natural History of Amphibians offers the basic foundation of amphibian fundamentals. This book is a very good starting point for biology students or advancing hobbyists. this book covers a great deal of information in very little text (not completely in depth but a very good over view) gives information on skin, breathing, locomotion, nose, eyes, vision, food habits, ears, voice, temperature, water regulation, protection against predators, home range, territorial behavior, (a very good chapter and sub-chapters on) reproduction, and about 40 pgs on declining amphibians and the contributions of amphibians to human welfare (with obvious sub categories of all). I am giving this book *4 stars* and I am starting to lean to 3.5 only becouse of its age, this book is now apx. 15 years old (from first print) and there is a lot of new text and findings that could make this and other books like it extremely beneficial. "A++ one to get you started"

A Natural History of Amphibians
A Natural History of Amphibians by Nathan W. Cohen (Hardcover - Nov. 5 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 21.67