5.0 out of 5 stars A classic document on the I Ching
Published on Oct. 29 2002 by N. Mentor

3.0 out of 5 stars Showing its age
In the days when the only available English translations of the Changes were Wilhelm/Baynes and Legge, Wilhelm/Baynes was the gold standard.
Published on May 18 2000 by porthos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic document on the I Ching, Oct. 29 2002
N. Mentor "imanisaida" (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
This book is my first exposure to I Ching divination. Mr. Wilhelm went through a lot of detail except he forgot to mention just how does one use it... but no matter. The information like "9th line in the second place... can be found on the internet). This book is so detailed that it's not something I'd recommend sitting down and reading, you'd get lost (or bored). It's more like an unfinished sculpture that you keep chipping at mentally. Armed with the basics, 3 pennies, and the book, you can start divining immediately. I must say that the book's answers are uncanny. You can ask questions on the past, present and future (even other people...:-)) And somehow the hexagrams line up exactly to answer your question. The language is a bit old-fashioned and it takes some intuition to figure out what the I Ching is telling you based on Wilhem's explanation alone. This translation should be on your shelf as a reference, even you eventually get a simpler breakdown of the I Ching. I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Showing its age, May 18 2000
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
It remains, however, an English translation of a German translation of an ancient Chinese manuscript. Undoubtedly, Richard Wilhelm, as a Christian missionary in China many decades ago, added a particular color to this book, which may not be wholly appropriate to say the least. This translation is far from being flawless, particularly when compared to some of the better ones which have become available.
The Wilhelm/Baynes translation is still worthy of examination, and many of us have a certain fondness for it, since it was our first, but the serious student should also refer to other sources. Richard John Lynn's and Greg Whincup's translations spring to mind. Even Kwok's edition has something to offer, since it includes an untranslated Chinese text. Even a casual perusal of that text with a Chinese-English dictionary casts doubt on many portions of the Wilhelm/Baynes.
Treasure this work if it has sentimental value for you, but be advised that beneath its tidy appearance is an ideal case study of translation difficulties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, Jan. 26 2014
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
This book was delivered rapidly and in excellent condition, like new altough I purchased a used version. This is a perfect buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Already knew, March 13 2013
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
This book but I wanted my own copy. It is considered by many I Ching afficionados to be the definitive version for I Ching readings in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humble Experience, Nov. 5 2002
Dudeman (where ever you are) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
Have you ever wondered how the duality of exhistance ought to be? Why society seems so profoundly different from the oddness of our predetermined day? Indulge in this great read. There is no other - that can compete with well over six thousand years of tried and true universal truths. You know, the unspoken beauty that eminates from our event horizon. Not quite following me? Get the book, read it, love it and just be. Raise your conscience to a more universal level.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to read it to get anything out of it., April 13 2004
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
The pages written by Dr. Jung alone are worth reading. I've gotten very amazing answers using the oracle. The answers that were incomprehensible may have had something to do with my less than perfect "Ling". Also, the Instructions for consulting the oracle are in the back of the book. (Look in the table of contents)

5.0 out of 5 stars My 7th copy of this great book., Oct. 3 2002
Athaenara "Athaenara" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Like C.G. Jung, I consider my I Ching, along with the Bible
and the Koran, one of the most important books I own. It is
a holy book, and the Wilhelm/Baynes translation is the best.
I recommend it unreservedly to anyone seriously interested
in the ancient yet timeless Chinese view of the cosmos.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good edition, March 16 2002
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
The i ching has fascinated me for some years now, yet, i had been unable to find a good edition of it. Most of them were incomplet, most clouded on wastern thought after the translation, or simply non fullfiling. THis one edition, though, is good enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, March 16 2002
Steve Austin "jivemutha" (PDX, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
The I Ching is arguably the most important of the ancient Chinese classics--certainly it has become that for us Americans. The Wilhelm/Baynes translation is almost universally accepted to be the most important of the many translations into English. It requires patience and many uses before it begins to move slowly from humorous diversion to friend to spiritual counselor to guru. As noted psychiatrist Carl Jung (an I Ching user) said, it's best not to try to understand how it works--an action that goes nowhere and only causes lost sleep. 'Better just to use it. It has a special benefit for perfectionists--a gospel without the taint of organized religion, the I Ching and everything about it is always pure. There are no scandals, no crusades, no inquisitions. Try to misuse it and you'll get goblydygook instead of a meaningful answer, so it remains pure under any circumstances. This fact can be of great comfort to the spiritual seeker put off by the the problems of organized religion. This has been the most important book in my life for 37 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Standard by which the Others are Measured, Nov. 9 2001
Thomas F. Ogara (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Ching or Book of Changes (Hardcover)
There are a considerable number of translations of the Yi Jing on the market. For my money, this is still the benchmark. It is true that it is old, and it was a translation of a German version, but such things are not all that unusual in the world of translating; to date, the best all-around Arabic-English Dictionary - the Wehr-Cowan - is a German translation.
People use this version for divination, but I feel that Wilhelm's translation is primarily a text for studying and meditation, and I find the depth of his version still surpasses any other that I have seen. If you consider the Yi Jing to be a serious book, you should obtain this translation, if only to supplement your understanding of the matter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb5a857c8)

The I Ching or Book of Changes
The I Ching or Book of Changes by Hellmut Wilhelm (Hardcover - Oct. 21 1967)
CDN$ 28.04 CDN$ 16.62