5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book then, my favorite book now
Published on Dec 3 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but much to young to be consideded a preschool book
This is a cute book with a nice story. I bought it for my 2 year-old and knew immediately that it was too young a book for her. This really seems more appropriate for reading to a 0-12 month old.
Published on Sept. 25 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book then, my favorite book now, Dec 3 2003
By A Customer
My parents gave me the paperback version of this book as a child many years ago (which I still have), and I recall reading it over and over and over during my formative years. My mom bought me the hardback version again when I graduated from high school. I am nearly 30 years old now, and I still gravitate toward the very simple yet profound message it teaches all of us: have a quiet childlike faith, trust, persist, persevere and you will be richly rewarded. Today, I run a $2.5 million a year professional organization, and we recently completed a large corporate visioning project for the next several years. I read Krauss' book at the close of the first phase of our vision meeting. My colleagues--with a cumulative total of nearly 75 years of professional business experience--spontaneously applauded at the end of the book, no joke! I also purchased several copies of the book to give to my team as a reminder of the core values it espouses--simple, yet profound values that will guide us and lead us to the next level. It is a book of timeless value that touches my heart each time I read it--and one that you, your child, your family, your peers, or your colleagues will treasure for years to come. Buy it and share it with others, if you haven't done so already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a little kid? Need this one!, May 15 2003
Sandi Jones (Cincinnati, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
Don't be misled by the teachings that small children only like bright colored books. Trust me, I am a mother of 4, and this book is on the top 10 most read list with my boys. It is a story of faith, hope and perseverance. It is a great quick read. It is perfect when you are too tired to get through a long book.
A long time ago, BC, Before Children, I never would have considered "Horton Hears a Who" a long book, but after trying to read it, tired, to a 2 year old, I found out how long some of the classics are.
If you have little ones, forget the long books, find short treasures like "The Carrot Seed", "Harold and the Purple Crayon", "Are you My Mother?", and the Sandra Boynton books. You'll have time later for the longer books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet without being overwhelming, Jan. 10 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
When the New York Public Library announced its "100 Children's Picture Books Everyone Should Know" for 2003, I had never heard of "The Carrot Seed". It isn't as if the author and illustrator are unknown. After all, illustrator Crockett Johnson welded the pen that created "Harold's Purple Crayon". Yet the book recommended on this list is certainly one of his lesser known titles.
"The Carrot Seed" is a simple story of a boy and his burgeoning carrot. Informed by his family members, one by one, that his carrot will not grow and that any actions to help it are useless, he ignores them bravely. Initially when I looked at this book I was certain that its protagonist sported a yarmulke. This is not the case. I believe it is more of a jaunty cap. The book itself is very straightforward, with accompanying pictures of relative simplicity. Additionally, the payoff at the end is sweet and funny, but not particularly unexpected. You're not going to find any real surprises in this book and, admittedly, I'm a little amazed that it's so well remembered. Much of its popularity stems, I'm sure, from the lesson learned. This is a book about the benefits of perseverance. If that's your cup of tea, so be it. But if you'd like to delve into some of Crockett's better works, check out "Harold's Purple Crayon" or his little known (but lovely) comic strip "Barnaby".

5.0 out of 5 stars The granddaddy of all picture books in America, Jan. 19 2000
Steven M. Stedman (BELLINGHAM WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
In his essay "Ruth Krauss and Me," author Maurice Sendak says "that perfect picture book, The Carrot Seed, the granddaddy of all picture books in America, a small revolution of a book that permanently transformed the face of children's book publishing. The Carrot Seed, with not a word or a picture out of place, is dramatic, vivid, precise, concise in every detail. It springs fresh from the real world of children."
This is a timeless classic that has been known and loved by children and parents for years.
A young boy is told by his parents, competition and his big brother that his carrot will not grow. After a long time of pulling weeds, watering and patience the carrot finally grows, and it is huge.
The author Ruth Krauss was born in 1901 is also the author of A Hole Is To Dig; I'll Be You and You Be Me; Charlotte and the White Horse; and many other childrens classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, moral story for beginning readers, Sept. 27 2001
T. W. Fuller (Wheeling, IL. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
"The Carrot Seed" tells the story of a little boy who plants a carrot seed, then waits patiently for it to grow. Everyday he cares and tends to it; and every day the adults around him shake their head and tell him it will not grow, until one day, to the adults amazement - it does.
"The Carrot Seed" is perfect for beginning readers around the age of three. It is as short as the words used to write the story, and will help children learn to read. It will also provide a moral lesson for the reader, the adult included, which teaches that patience is indeed a virtue; and that hard work and determination can make a world of difference. It also teaches us that just because an adult tells a child something cannot be accomplished, does not always make it so.
I recommend this story not only for children, but for adults; for adults can still learn this moral lesson, along with their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in persistence paying off, Nov. 29 2001
Neal Stublen (Leawood, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
Though the story is simple, the message is grand. If you want to teach your children the value of persistence, this would be a very nice book to add to your children's library.
As the little boy is repeatedly told his efforts are in vain, he quietly goes about his business and, in the end, he is rewarded for his labor. You can use this story to help your children overcome the naysayers they are sure to encounter in life. (Of course, they will also need to learn the value of listening to and heeding wise advice - but that can always be taught from another story.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for kids of all ages, April 16 1998
By A Customer
"The Carrot Seed" is a highly recommended book and if your kids don't read it in school, then ask the teacher why? With the same magic as "Harold and the Purple Crayon", this book is a great way to start kids thinking and using their imagination. You can also use it to start a science experiment and let them watch their own carrot seed grow. If you have an older child at home as well as a younger child, the kids can do this together and they will have something to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, yet profound, Dec 4 1999
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
This is one of my 2 year old son's favorite books. He "reads" it over and over (he has every word memorized.) It's so simple, and yet the message is so profound. It's a message that many children don't get from other sources- one of faith and perserverance. At first, I was not impressed with the brown and yellow illustrations, but my son seems to prefer them over other more colorfully illustrated books. The simple pictures mirror the simple message of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help your kids believe in themselves!!, May 15 2001
My two year old falls asleep with this one! Every time I read "The Carrot Seed" to my 2 and 4-year old they cheer the ending. As each family member tells the little boy, "It won't come up." my kids reply, "Que pasa, what's up with that?"; learning that though mommy, daddy, and big brother may be older, they are not always correct. A classic that every parent should have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Naysayers, June 18 2004
This review is from: Carrot Seed (Board book)
I do not feel the important lesson from this book is simple perserverance (as others have said). Nor do I feel it is about blind faith. The lesson I take from it is perseverance in the face of all the naysayers in life who would bring you down with them. Dare to dream big, work hard, and have faith in oneself in the face of adversity. This is the only children's book I have seen with such a theme.

Carrot Seed
Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss (Board book - May 13 1993)
CDN$ 8.50 CDN$ 8.08