5.0 out of 5 stars Very gentle and calming
Published on March 23 2004 by Ginger Meggs

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do it for us
Just a basic farm book like many others. Doesn't really do it for my kids. We own a lot of board books and none of mine ever attached to this one. They prefer Boynton books.
Published on May 11 2004 by Holly Rose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do it for us, May 11 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Very gentle and calming, March 23 2004
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
If your child enjoys Goodnight Moon, then they should enjoy this book - it has a similar rhythm and very appealing illustrations. Like the mouse that you can look for in Goodnight Moon, this book has a butterfly that appears on many of the pages. It also shows beautifully the change in the light as the sun sets and day turns to night, and the animals going from active to asleep.
I did find it quite difficult to get a good reading rhythm until I had read through it several times. The rhymes are not exact (not like Dr Seuss, say) - it is more subtle and textured than that. I found some of the lines that work well together require turning over to the next page, and personally I think it sounds better when 3 of the lines are left out completely ("meow meow", "yeow yeow" and "bow wow").
My son (21 months) really enjoys it, and it's a book that you can read every day without going too crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, Jan. 26 2004
"mrscrafty" (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
My son loves this book! We've been reading it to him since he was 4-5 months old and he turns 1 next week and he still wants us to read this to him every day. I could probably recite the book word-for-word by memory from reading it so much, but the illustrations are so cute and it makes my son happy, so I will probably never get tired of it. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Read, Must-Have Book, Jan. 1 2004
Barbara J. French "mom2donnyandmeghan" (Cortlandt Manor, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
This is one story that both my children adore. They each have their own set of favorites, but this is one story that gets read to both of them each night before going to bed. It's a delightful tale with adorable illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddlers Love It!, Dec 18 2003
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
As a teacher of infants and toddlers, I must say this book is THE BEST! It is one of the few books an entire classroom of toddlers will sit down and listen to all the way through. My kids request this book nearly every day ("Barn book! Barn book!"). I love reading it to my own children (ages 3 months, 2 years, and 5 years) as well. Starts out bright and cheerful and winds down to quiet and calm...great for bedtime!

5.0 out of 5 stars A tried and true favorite!, Oct. 20 2003
J. K. Freedman (Omaha, NE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
I was given this book as a gift because it has been a favorite of many a child in our family. I like Brown's writing and this story has a rhythm that both parent and child find soothing. The illustrations go very well with the story and its not a book that you will become tired of reading. My eight-month old daugher loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorites, June 9 2003
"seesill" (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
This is one of our favorites. The words are such an easy flow and the pictures bring the whole story together in a beautifully poetic way. We absolutely love this story at bedtime. My toddler and I can't get enough of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful, April 17 2003
A Reader (Evanston, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
Goodnight Moon gets all the hype, but I like Big Red Barn even better. This is a simple story about all the animals who live on a farm and the things they do during the day. No humans are anywhere to be found in this tale. The illustrations are simple and sweet. My 8 month old daughter just loves this book! It's very soothing for bedtime, especially because at the end of the story, all the animals go to sleep in the barn. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars her very favorite, April 14 2003
K L Peterson (Hagerstown, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
My 10 month old daughter loves this book. Do I need to say much more? She pays attention when I read it to her. That's saying something. And, oh, yes, she loves it when the Mooing page comes.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's sopo-RIFFIC!, Feb. 11 2003
This review is from: Big Red Barn (Board book)
This book works on so many levels. It's a simple board book for even the youngest readers, but its soothing messages about farm life will resonate well into the 2's and 3's, and maybe even into the early-reading years. We came back to this book again and again when my kids were little and it's still on the shelf... and I keep thinking, "maybe someday, I'll be lucky enough to have a little one to read it to again."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa2431bc)

Big Red Barn
Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown (Board book - Jan. 5 1995)
CDN$ 9.75 CDN$ 9.26