4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough slow cooking for larger groups
Published on Aug. 21 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
The recipes in this book were just ok. I wanted a book on slow cooking and there are several chapters on cooking without the slow cooker. I have better recipes for things like that. I guess I will continue my search for a good slow cooker cookbook.
Published on March 19 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough slow cooking for larger groups, Aug. 21 2003
By A Customer
This is a beautifully presented book with a multitude of delicious-sounding, well-crafted recipes. They seem satisfying and are done in enough of a gourmet style that you'll be proud of yourself at the next dinner party, but the recipes are not intimidating or difficult to make because of ingredients that seem impossible to find. I like that very much. I also like the bonus section which gives wonderful recipes (many quick and easy) for more traditional cooking (stovetop and oven). My concern is that I have a 3 quart slow cooker. The recipes list the size of slow cooker needed for each recipe (that's very clever) and the smallest listed is always 3 1/2 quart. Most recipes in this book are meant for much bigger slow cookers. So now I'll have to take my chances with my cooker, or scale down the recipes. Readers should just be aware that the authors had families in mind, not single people with small slow cookers. That's a bit irritating, I must say.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 19 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars What the?!?, July 16 2003
By A Customer
Well, the reader from Texas was quite right to expect recipes for slow cookers, given the title of the book and the picture on the cover. I just received it as a gift and I haven't cooked from it, but I've read it cover to cover (that's just what I do with new cookbooks). I was pretty dismayed when I turned to the one-dish dinner chapter to see that none of the recipes involved a crock pot in any way. I actually thought it was a printer's error or something, but now I'm thinking they just threw it in to live up to their claim to be the "biggest."
When you've read and used as many cookbooks as I have, you can almost taste the recipes just by reading through them. There doesn't seem to be anything special about them - they're not interesting or authentic enough for me, but I'm sure they would be perfect for a hard-to-please group. I do plan to try some of them and I could envision these types of recipes to come in handy when I don't feel like doing anything special or the pantry is getting bare.
On the plus side, I thought they did a good job with the little hints at the top of each page, usually suggestions on what to serve with the dish. That's something I wish more cookbooks would do.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is AWESOME!, Dec 27 2003
By A Customer
I can't believe people would write a review of this book without trying any recipes or even after just attempting one or two. My children and I are cooking our way through this book - we plan on trying every recipe and we are having a wonderful time! Each recipe is voted on and given a 1-5 star rating, and so far almost every recipe has 4 or 5 stars, with the exception of a few 3's. There are several recipes that have become family favorites such as the Spiced Beef Brisket, Brisket in Ale and the Mushroom Sauce Pork Chops. In my opinion this is the easiest and best slow cooker cookbook on the market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like processed foods, I guess., April 16 2004
By A Customer
I recently bought this because I was looking for slow cooker recipes and the reviews for this book seemed very favorable. Our family has disliked 4 out of 4 recipes we've tried so far. They all tast very 'processed', almost canned or from a jar. We usually cook all our meals from scratch (not fancy or anything though), so if you're used to frozen meals or canned or pre-processed foods, maybe you'd like it more. All three of my kids had trouble getting through the dinners, for what it's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have found yet for crock pots, May 14 2004
This is a good book. Not exceptional, but good. The book covers all the meats, veggies, and even some deserts as well as good tips here and there. It's one of the better ones I have seen to date for crock pots. If you are loooking for an all around slow cooker book, pick this one up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been Using this book quite a bit, May 10 2003
By A Customer
I use this book quite a bit and have enjoyed the recipies. I particularly like the veggie-friendly stew types of dishes and have made several of them. They work well even with the old slow cooker (it's avocado green if that's a clue to it's age :-)) that I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!, May 10 2003
What can I say, I just love this book!
First of all, I must admit that I am NOT a gourmet food eater! I just want normal, everyday foods to feed my family. The kids are incredibly picky, but they actually eat things from this cookbook! That is a TOTAL miracle! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good All-Around Slow-Cooker Cookbook, March 8 2003
Rachel Sincere "ladyveg" (Baraboo, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This cookbook is my favorite slow-cooker cookbook. The recipe selection is varied, and the recipes are neither too difficult/strange, nor too simple. I appreciate that each recipe tells you what size cooker it is for, and there are enough different recipes for each size of cooker to keep you busy no matter what size cooker you have. I have a 5-quart, and some of the recipes for the 3-1/2 quart cookers look so good that I am considering buying a smaller cooker as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideas are great, recipes are not..., Feb. 16 2003
By A Customer
I have yet to find a great crockery cookbook, and I've tried many. I had high hopes for this one, but so far I've tried 3 recipes and they all have fallen flat.
The first recipe I tried was for carmelized onions & potatoes. It sounded great, but the end result was really bland. The second recipe was for a main dish - chicken with wine. My husband, who loves chicken, didn't finish it and said it wasn't very good. I tried it and while it wasn't inedible, it wasn't anything I'd make again. My last try was for a raisin pudding cake that sounded delicious. We had friends over and while they said it was good, both my husband and I thought it was way too sweet, and ended up throwing the rest away (and there was a lot).
While I have found many cookbooks that have wonderful recipes for cooking using the stovetop or oven, my search continues for a slow-cooker/crockery book that delivers recipes for delicious (or even "make this again") meals.

ARRAY(0xacfb0f00)

Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes
Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes by Better Homes & Gardens (Plastic Comb - Aug. 1 2003)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 16.26