5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, don't hesitate, read this book, Oct. 28 2003
NK "NK" (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Paperback)
As parents, bibliophiles, and teachers, we are always on the lookout for good children's books and books with positive girl characters are always needed. This one is fabulous. Treva is smart, creative, courageous, loving, strong, competent and clever. This is exactly the kind of child that we would want our 2 1/2 year old son to be exposed to. It's a fun adventure story that shows how a child can be creative and use their imagination and other intellectual abilities to problem solve and come up with a plan in a tough situation (without resorting to physical force) and then use their physical and creative skills in executing their plan. The last few sentences of the book also add a more abstract, creative idea that expands the depth of the book depending on the age and abilities of the child who's hearing the story. The illustrations are well done - they're good and easy to follow and help the child to understand the story, They also provide additional details and threads for the child to explore. And, something I'm always on the lookout for, it was a great alternative troll story. On the chance that most of his fellow schoolmates would be talking about pirates, superheroes, fairy tale characters and such, I didn't want my son to have no idea what others were referring to simply because we tended to avoid such stories because they tend to be completely objectionable in terms of their values and characters. So, I'm always on the lookout for good alternatives, and this was a very positive way to introduce him to a troll. (As a side note, a good alternative for superheroes is "Max" by Bob Grahm; for pirates try "Pirate Pete", "Edward and the Pirates" and "Pirate Pink"; and there are many fractured fairy tales which are clear winners over the traditional sexist, violent, etc fairy tales, e.g. "The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig", "Wolf" by Becky Bloom, "The Big Bad Wolf is Good", "The Emperor [Penguin] has no clothes", and on video - CinderElmo - where Elmo goes to the Princesses ball). This was my first exposure to Jan Brett and I'm looking forward to more books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Jan Brett classic, Sept. 3 2001
A. Cargile (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Paperback)
My 3-year-old daughter and 4-year-old-son adore this book. As with any Jan Brett book, the illustrations are fantastic. This story is solid, too, and shows "girl power" at its simplest and sweetest. The heroine, Treva, outwits trolls who want to steal her dog and keep him. My daughter, who looks like a younger version of the herione, Treva, tells me, "Treva is smart!" Treva can also ski well, too. I still prefer Jan Brett's "Annie and the Wild Animals", but this is right up there with "Annie" and "The Mitten" as one of our favorite books to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightefull tale of an adventurous hike, Oct. 7 2003
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Paperback)
Treva, a girl in Norway wants to go visit her cousin on the other side of a mountain near her home so off she goes with her dog, and her skis straped to her back. Her little hike soon meets with excitement when a troll tries to kidnap her dog! She comes up with a clever scheme to trick this troll, and several more trolls afterwards. At the end, she manages to trick all the trolls again at once, and gets back her mittens, gloves, hat, sweater, skis and of course, her dog!
The illustrations are absoutely beautiful, and really bring life to the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Stories in One!, Nov. 10 2001
Birgit Nazaryan (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Hardcover)
My preschool daughter and I absolutely LOVE this book! The illustrations are gorgeous and there is a second storyline with a mischievous hedgehog raiding the trolls den on the bottom of the page - it is like two stories in one! The story is simple, amusing, well written and the clever protagonist, a Norwegian (?) girl, Treva is very charming. As soon as I discovered Jan Brett's books I started collecting several others - they are such a treat to read and look at!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble with trolls, Oct. 30 2002
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Paperback)
This book Trouble With Trolls is a great book for both readers young and old. It is about a girl named Treva who decides to take a hike over a mountain to see her cousin. On the way up the mountain Treva runs into some trolls who want her dog,but she tricks them by giving them her boots and things like that. In the end she gets away with her dog and all her stuff back. I enjoyed this book alot myself and if you have kids I'm sure they would enjoy it to.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the author, July 30 2001
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Hardcover)
My young niece Addy likes this book because (dictated) it has a story going on below as well as up above. It is actually two stories. I don't think the trolls were that nice. They weren't scary, though. They take her mittens and then her hat. They want her dog. They also take her sweater and her boots. She must be very cold. I recommend this book. It is one of the best books I have seen but it isn't the very best book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble With Trolls, April 27 2000
Patricia Ameling (Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Paperback)
My 4 year-old daughter and I love this book. Treva, the main character, really knows how to use her noodle to outwit the trolls she encounters on her way over Mount Baldy. This book is beautifully illustrated (as you would expect from Jan Brett), the story is captivating and it promotes a positive view of girls who can think for themselves and overcome life's obstacles! My family highly recommends this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable for child of all ages, March 23 1998
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Hardcover)
Our grandsons(11/2 and 3) and I really enjoy this book not only for the beautiful pictures but for the subplot going on in the margin.Sometime we will only read the hedgehog story instead of the main story. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love The Trouble With Trolls, Oct. 11 2000
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Paperback)
This is one our favorite books. Not only is the story clever and suspenseful for kids, it is beautifully illustrated. Our family, which consists of 3 boys, thoroughly enjoys reading this book together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Children's book, June 26 2014
This review is from: Trouble with Trolls (Hardcover)
Purchased as a baby shower gift and was a hit! Grew up with this book; it has amazing artwork inside.
A classic.

Trouble with Trolls
Trouble with Trolls by Jan Brett (Paperback - Jan. 11 2002)
CDN$ 8.50 CDN$ 8.08