5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pleasure
Before i cooked anything from this cookbook, i was fascinated that it reads more like a lifestyle manual than a typical cookbook. Reading it i could almost hear Nigella saying the words in my head.
Published on Oct. 31 2002 by - Kasia S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Use common sense with the oven temps here!
I just made the lamb shoulder (425 degrees for 30 mins per pound??) Needless to say, my kitchen was smoke filled after 15 mins and dinner was ruined. I live in the US, and wonder if there was a mistake in the metric translation. Browsing the other recipes, I discovered most of the oven temps seemed awfully high - especially for braising (400 degrees F)!
Please use...
Published on May 26 2002 by skye-dog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pleasure, Oct. 31 2002
- Kasia S. (New York City) - See all my reviews
The recipies are fun and well thought of, her Macaronie and Cheese is fabulous, and soo easy! I enjoy laying around the house, sipping tea and reading between the recipies, because that girl has a talent for words. I love this book, she did a great job, as usual.

4.0 out of 5 stars No pictures!!!!!!, Oct. 29 2009
I like Nigella Lawson and love her TV show but if you need pictures to see the results of the recipes, please choose another cookbook of hers because this one has none! Her writting style his fun, but this book is more like a novel including recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent advice, great food. Nigella is cool!, Oct. 18 2002
By A Customer
Please let me say first off that I adore Nigella. She is like the cool sister you never had. She offers up recipes for just about anything you would ever want to cook, as well as her opinions in a certain way that makes me look to her a bit like one would a mentor. It's because she knows a lot about food, and has a great deal of life experience, from travelling and working as a restaurant reviewer, to share. For example, she's firm in her belief that a salad should be green or red. Choose. Either make it with lettuces or make a beautiful tomato salad -- better yet, set the ripe tomatoes in the center of the table with a knife, and let your guest have at it. It's something I'd never thought about before, and now that I have, I agree.
I consult this book for inspiration, comfort, advice, and sometimes just to fantasize about a proper British Sunday meal or some other menu. The book is interesting and fun to read, and does inspire confidence. My latest success related to this book came after consulting it for my four-year-old's birthday party. The crowning jewel was a brilliant-green Jurassic cake laden with miniature plastic toy dinosaurs and a palm tree -- it was a huge hit. (Cheese biscuit "W"s too.) I appreciate how Nigella stresses that her recipes and suggestions are meant to serve as guidelines, not rules written in stone. In fact, some of the recipes I would change and have, tweaking and improving upon them for my tastes. It's more about the approach to food and eating. Nigella is smart, smart, smart, and truly a breath of fresh air.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little rougher than expected, April 8 2013
This review is from: How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food (Paperback)
Arrived promptly but I had to wipe it down as it was quite grimy. Other than the dirty worn cover a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Culinary Coup, Oct. 14 2002
By A Customer
How to Eat is what a cookbook should be, just like Nigella Lawson's cooking show redefines all cooking shows. The recipes are divine and organized cleverly into useful chapters like "Quick and Easy Dinners After Work." The "Cooking for Children" section is also really useful. I've made several dozen meals from her cookbook and so far, all are winners. Her Basic Roast Chicken is divine--the best I've ever eaten, much less made. She is passionate about food, but in a down-to-earth, healthy way. She's also not afraid of fat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Both fun to read and cook from, Sept. 24 2002
"jj6407" (Downers Grove, IL United States) - See all my reviews
An excellent cookbook - but to use the word "cookbook" to describe it is almost an injustice because it is so much more. This is an exploration of food and the pleasures of both preparing food and eating it. This is more a novel with intricate plot twists than a boring cookbook with stodgy lists of recipes and ingredients. Indeed, the best thing about this book is the way you can pick it up and just read it - just like your favorite novel. The author is cheeky and delightful and my favorite part is her treatise on low fat cooking - how it is (at least for many people, me included) a reflection of vanity. The recipes are simple to follow and the writing that accompanies the recipes inspires confidence and joy as well as the compelling urge to prepare what she is writing about right then and there, no matter what time it is. The desserts are killer - the sticky chocolate pudding cake is easy to prepare and the results are fantastic - both gooey and rich and I am ashamed to say that I ate enough of it for at least three people. But in all honesty, I think that the author would approve of my gluttony. I tried the golden vegetable root stew and although apprehensive when first preparing it, I served it to my friends and it was a hit, it tasted exotic and complex. However, I was perplexed as to why she added zucchini to the recipe since the zucchini had turned to an urecognizable sickly yellow mush by the time the other vegetables were tender. But it did give the stew a nice (although unintended) thickness. The chocolate raspberry cake was also quite good although not nearly sweet enough for my tastes (but then again, I love cavity-inducing sweetness). An excellent book and I recommend it for anyone who loves to eat and also for people who don't because you will learn to love to eat once you are done reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A groovy new take on classic kitchen tricks!, Jan. 12 2004
Kenneth McDaniel "Urban cocktail-culture magu... (third stone from the sun) - See all my reviews
Ms. Lawson's seductive nature transfers beautifully to the page in this unusual, yet utilitarian cookbook. Classic, homey dishes are given a new 21st. century spin without losing their basic, innate goodness. The "unpesto" is a favorite of mine, and I am wating asparagus season with much anticipation! Damn the calories, full feed ahead!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book., Sept. 13 2002
By A Customer
This author makes cooking comfortable. Her book explains things in a very simplistic and pleasant manner. Her approach gives the reader a sense of calm. All in all, it makes the reader feel at ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook for people who like to cook and entertain, Aug. 12 2002
Amanda Moss (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This is a great book. I love watching her TV show and am always looking for new ideas and parties to throw with new foods. I think this is a great book for people who know some about cooking and it really explains it step by step. If you have two left feet in the kitchen you may want to start out with a small menu before you go to a larger party menu. This is a great cookbook with an eclectic offering of menu choices from comfort foods to fine dining. Hope you enjoy this book as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant !, July 31 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book (as well as How to be a domestic goddess) after watching Nigella Bites because I really liked her informal style and the fact that she could throw together such amazing meals whilst running after 2 kids. I've always harboured ambitions of throwing impromptu dinner parties whilst looking after my 10-mth old and was inspired watching her show! The book is really easy reading and the recipes are organised into menus for weekend lunches, dinners for 8 or dinners for one/two as well as recipes for kids. I am not a serious cook and before this book, I rarely baked. But even I can whip up pretty impressive dinner party fare using Nigella's recipes. Her 10-minute chocolate pudding really is 10-minutes and tastes/looks great! I couldn't do Martha Stewart but with this book I've yet to find a dish that I can mess up!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbfe2300c)

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food by Nigella Lawson (Paperback - March 14 2000)
CDN$ 39.95 CDN$ 25.17