5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in the world!!!
Anne Rice's book The Vampire Lestat is just as riveting as Interview with the Vampire. In this book Lestat is an arrogant vampire who loves pissing off the elder vampires, as well as the fledglings (young vampires); he just doesn't follow the rules. Now you would think that being a vampire means you would be free, that's not how Rice describes immortality, Lestat is the...
Published on Jan. 30 2004 by Bear

2.0 out of 5 stars Bless her heart
My girlfriend wanted me to read this, and i wanted to like it. Let me give the uninitiated a brief glimpse of the book; it goes something like this:-
Start: Exciting, swift, entertaining........starts to go on a bit.......long periods of yawning and feeling guilty for skim reading page after page.......gets better again :End
There it is, no more no less. Not a...
Published on Oct. 5 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Bless her heart, Oct. 5 2003
By A Customer
There it is, no more no less. Not a great masterpiece of literature as some believe (If you'd ever read one you'd probably know). Average, long winded. I could try and tell you why, but the book has left me so exhausted that i am not going to waste any more effort on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A major let down, Oct. 16 1999
By A Customer
I loved Interview With the Vampire and I really liked Lestats character a lot so I was surprised by how Anne Rice potrays him in this book.He goes from being a complex evil character to a whiney, childesh idiot! Am I the only one that winces when he is called the "brat prince?" She made him cute, cuddley and mischievius in a little boy sort of way, a major difference from the Lestat in Interview. That lestat was more mysterious, although he loved being a vampire and accepted it(unlike Louis) you get the feeling that there is more going on in his mind than Louis can see. His character in The Vampire Lestat on the other hand is silly and can really got on your nerves.There is nothing at all disturbing or dark about him, you know he will never really do anything totally evil, hes too sweet and adorable too. Its not really that this book is so bad(compared to Menoch its a masterpiece)its just that if she wanted to write a book about a charming,charismatic vampire why did she use Lestat?

1.0 out of 5 stars Yea!! I actually finished it!!!!, Aug. 28 1998
I cannot believe how many people love this book. The first paragraph was excellent! The last 20 pages were awesome!!! The rest of the book was so tedious to get through. I am actually celebrating that I survived it!!! OK, this is a little sarcastic, sorry Anne. When she does dialog between people, her writing is fantastic. When she goes into telling background situations, I've never read anything more borring. It's like writing about some guy walking over to a tree and taking five pages to describe every detail and every thought that went through his mind. Geeze, I'm really bummed. I thought I'd love this series. Interview With the Vampire was fabulous. I love Lestat. He is a great character. I just wish The Vampire Lestat, was more about Lestat. For some reason the way she wrote the other characters, I could not have cared less about them. Sorry, I have to disagree with the majority on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you've read Interview With A Vampire, stop there!, Oct. 19 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Vampire Lestat (Paperback)
I wonder if Anne Rice has actually read Interview With A Vampire. There were so many inconsistencies between the two books that I sincerely doubt it! Vampire Lestat was a tedious waste of my time. I skipped ahead many chapters and wasn't lost. I was wholeheartedly disappointed, since after reading Interview with a Vampire, I was looking forward to the series. Like a bad relationship, I'm glad it's over.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Lestat was Mundane, Sept. 29 2001
While at first engrossing, I found that the rising action, not to mention climax and resolution of this story to be severely lacking. Characterization was intriguing at first, but lost its luster the farther into the story I progressed. I read this at school during Health class, and it took me almost two months to finish it! Anne Rice needs to learn how to write shorter books for people like me.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, Dec 28 1999
R. Miller "NY Techno Guy" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampire Lestat (Hardcover)
I read this immediately after the first Vampire book and it was a complete repeat. Nothing new. In depth, boring explainations of humans becoming vampires and the rules of vampire culture. Just like the first book. I guess Anne stuck by this formula for the next 3 or more books about these now familiar vampire characters, but I'll never know because I will read no further...

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much History, Aug. 10 2002
Ja'Maul Redmond (Charlotte, N.C.) - See all my reviews
This one read like a lead up to another book. With exception to the 150 pages of Gabrielle's creation and the 100 pages or so Of marius's story , the book dragged on and on about the past. Take out 300 pages and this would be a good book. This is the second book I've read of the Vampire Chronicles and to me it's No where near the first and I hope the rest are better.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book!, June 14 2004
By A Customer
I loved this book, it was just as good as Interview with the Vampire but I did read them in the wrong order.
So when I read interview with the vampire I was very defensive over Lestat because in this book he explains why he couldn't teach Louis everything because his own maker (Magnus)died before he taught Lestat anything about being a vampire so he went looking for answers and finally found a vampire called Marius (the oldest vampire in the world and Armands maker who Armand fought to be dead.) who answered some of Lestats un-answered questions. (just like when Louis and Claudia went looking for anwsers and found Armand.)
Also we find out why he hated his father so much and what his father meant in interview with the vampire when he said 'sorry, please forgive me' before he died.
The book is writen from Lestats point of view and is kind of like his biography.
My favourate part must be the ending when Louis comes back to Lestat after reading Lestats book and understanding Lestat was like he was.

2.0 out of 5 stars just pointless, March 15 2004
By A Customer
This does not come close to Interview. It's probbaly one of the worst structured books Ive ever read. Its made up as it goes alng. Die hard fans would give 5 stars for anything Rice wrote so dont follow those reviews. I just dont understand how a book about vampires does not fit into horror, action, adventure, drama? It was just a story. It could have been summed up in 100 pages but instead it dragged on and on. The biggest reason I give this 2 stars is because it is narrated the exact same way Louis narrated in Interview. And it's almost like Rice picked up on this as well because over half way through it's like, "oh by the way, Im a loving emotional guy too." Huh? Its Louis writing as Lestat!
Now I have the next book which continues the story and its twice as long. I only wish I could read as fast as Lestat, but then again I only had to read every other page in this book to know what was going on. I just skipped over the 5 paragraphs it takes for Anne to desribe a grain of sand.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Heart Revealed., Feb. 11 2004
The Vampire Lestat book by Anne Rice was the first book i ever read that was more then 200 pages. After the mesmerizing tale, i could not help but love Lestat. After that book, i collected all the chronicles that was ever written by anne rice!! i loved each and everyone of them, from blood and gold to blackwood farm and tale of the body thief.
These books gave me a world to escape into. A world that i envy very much because i want it. The book was written in such a way, that no one can distinguish whether it is real or not. that is how i feel. The books gave me a new way of thinking. i am certainly one of Lestat's biggest fans! i have his pictures every where in my room and i drive my friends crazy about how i want a guy like him. The character Lestat is someone whom every one will grow to love no matter what because he is someone a person can look upto, to be inspired by, to love without getting hurt. that is what is so special about him and the books. they are so real that after a few days you will be thinking in such a way as if they do exist. well, i wish they did!! i could read this book over and over again without getting tired or bored of it. These books are truely the work of a talent and great personality. A big thumbs up to anne rice and lestat along with Marius,Quinn, and Armand.

Vampire Lestat
Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (Paperback - Nov. 7 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01