5.0 out of 5 stars One of Anne Rice's best
I have a long time love affair with this author. Anne Rice is a master at getting me immersed in her world. I love this novel and all of her other works of art
Published 12 months ago by Krystale

2.0 out of 5 stars Bless her heart
My girlfriend wanted me to read this, and i wanted to like it. Let me give the uninitiated a brief glimpse of the book; it goes something like this:-
Start: Exciting, swift, entertaining........starts to go on a bit.......long periods of yawning and feeling guilty for skim reading page after page.......gets better again :End
There it is, no more no less. Not a...
Published on Oct. 5 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Bless her heart, Oct. 5 2003
By A Customer
There it is, no more no less. Not a great masterpiece of literature as some believe (If you'd ever read one you'd probably know). Average, long winded. I could try and tell you why, but the book has left me so exhausted that i am not going to waste any more effort on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Second best Anne Rice book, May 24 2006
It is, according to me the second best book Anne Rice wrote. The best one being Interview with the Vampire. It can't be qualified as an horror book, merely a fantasy book. You can't possibly be afraid of those character, you can love them, hate them or pity them but never fear them. It is a good second book, but all the other books in this serie past Queen of the Damned isn't even worth reading. I read them and most admit that the three first one in the chronicle of the vampires are the bests. I would recommend it if you liked Interview, but I'd recommend that someone that never read Anne Rice's book start with Interview instead of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars $14 one not a true hardcover, March 21 2014
This review is from: The Vampire Lestat (Hardcover)
I love this book and already own it in paperback. I wanted to start collecting the series in hardcover so ordered this thinking it would be a true Hardcover. Imagine my surprise when I received it and it is a "Turtleback" edition. Paperback size with horrible paper and hard cover to it. I wish they would have described it as such so I would not have ordered it. I hope the Prince Lestat I pre-ordered for October isn't the same type.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Anne Rice's best, Aug. 6 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars SO COOL !!, July 12 2013
This book has always been a great read. I plan to read it many more times. Great delivery time, great service, will be using you in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unreliable Vampire, Feb. 18 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Anne Rice tells the story of Lestat de Lioncourt, an eighteenth-century French aristocrat who becomes a vampire. We follow Lestat's early years on the dark side as he struggles and inevitably fails to stay connected with his family, friends and former life. Most of the book traces Lestat's quest to understand his dark nature and come to terms with it. This involves meeting and hearing the stories of several older vampires. And finally deciding how he will exist in the world of humans.

The book offers a sophisticated view of vampires and their history. It is more similar to historical fiction than to most vampire tales. In the spirit of carefully researched nonfiction, it presents history as a series of oral biographies delivered by its main characters. As their stories contradict each other, the reader sees the layers of history pealed back and learns more than most of the characters themselves are aware of. Lestat retells the story of Louis, the protagonist of Rice's previous book in the series, Interview with the Vampire, and corrects his errors, sometimes self-servingly. Having readjusted our perspective as readers, we do it twice more as Lestat tells what he learned from the older vampires Armand and Marius. These interlocking and contradictory tales are well-written and well-worth reading.

Lestat's tale can be read independently of the first Vampire Chronicles book, but is necessary to understanding the events of The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief and subsequent books in the series. This book is easily the best of the series and a reasonable place to begin reading it. The author's skilled use of the unreliable narrator technique to present history makes the book worthwhile to anyone who appreciates good writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!... Do it!!!, July 24 2010
Stephanie Johnson (B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vampire Lestat (Paperback)
Now THIS is a vampire book! No fluff, no teen romance or corny skin sparkles. (i make fun but i do like Twilight. lol)
I read this book many years ago and LOVED it and now have read it again and my opinion has not changed. I fell in love with all of the complex characters, the plot and this world that Anne Rice pulls you into. Wow that woman can write. Lestat is by far one of the BEST characters I have ever had the pleasure of reading. One thing I love about Rice's writing is how her writing is so romantic and sexy without actually always being about romance or sex. If you haven't read this series, and are into the whole vampire thing, READ THESE. The first one is Interview With the Vampire and will also not dissapoint.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much History, Aug. 10 2002
Ja'Maul Redmond (Charlotte, N.C.) - See all my reviews
This one read like a lead up to another book. With exception to the 150 pages of Gabrielle's creation and the 100 pages or so Of marius's story , the book dragged on and on about the past. Take out 300 pages and this would be a good book. This is the second book I've read of the Vampire Chronicles and to me it's No where near the first and I hope the rest are better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Lestat was Mundane, Sept. 29 2001
While at first engrossing, I found that the rising action, not to mention climax and resolution of this story to be severely lacking. Characterization was intriguing at first, but lost its luster the farther into the story I progressed. I read this at school during Health class, and it took me almost two months to finish it! Anne Rice needs to learn how to write shorter books for people like me.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, Dec 28 1999
R. Miller "NY Techno Guy" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampire Lestat (Hardcover)
I read this immediately after the first Vampire book and it was a complete repeat. Nothing new. In depth, boring explainations of humans becoming vampires and the rules of vampire culture. Just like the first book. I guess Anne stuck by this formula for the next 3 or more books about these now familiar vampire characters, but I'll never know because I will read no further...

Vampire Lestat
Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice (Paperback - Nov. 7 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01