5.0 out of 5 stars Hearts Blood

Published on Feb. 26 2001 by A reader in San Diego

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearts Blood, May 24 2004
By A Customer
I think Jane Yolen out did herself and hit a homerun, with Hearts Blood, an extraordinary book. In this vivid storyline, a boy named Jakkin risks his life, his dragon Hearts Blood's life, and his dragons hatchlings life, to save his love Akki. The risk was being involved with the rebels who are against the republic and the republic send people down to the colony to keep everything in order but then the rebels exploded the side of the Major dragon pit called in the city of Rokk. The people from the republic think Akki and Jakkin did it so they flee. Will the republic find them or not, what will happen to Jakkin and Akki? read Hearts Blood to find out. I've read the whole series, and many of her other books such as; Devils Arithmetic, The rest of the Pit Dragon trilogy, Merlin, and Armageddon Summer. Her word choice was great because she uses words that you wouldn't normally know the meaning to, but when she uses them you do; such as, "Myriad of colors", and she is very imaginative in the ways she described the dragons.
I highly recommend this book to all young adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book, Dec 4 2001
"rosebuddy11" (Wanship, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This book was one of the best books I have ever read. I read alot, I mean reading is basiclly my whole life! My family and I were in the book store one day and said she would buy us all one book. One book? How was it possible to choose? There were so many! I started to scan the sci-fi/fantasy section(my personal favorite genre) when I came to a book called Dragon's Blood. I love fantasy, adventure, mid-evil, dragons kind of stuff so I stopped to read the back. When I finished, I was certain this was the right book to choose. I took it home and read it in 2-3 days. I couldn't put it down. The word choice was excellent, because even though I'm only 13, I understood everything. I couldn't stop thinking and talking about it so my older sister read it. She loved it too. (...) I knew there were more books after Dragon's Blood. This was my chance to use it! I can't wait for my new books to come in the mail! If you are reading this and havn't read these books, I seriously recomend you do a.s.a.p. All books have effects on your life, this one made me wonder if there really is another planet with dragons!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, Feb. 26 2001
Fifteen year old Jakkin Stewart lives on the planet Austar IV. The planet was settled by convicts and guards sent from earth in 2303. Several generations later, a system was developed. To be a master, you must be free. To stay free, you must have money. You do this by training dragons to fight in the pit. Jakkin is a bond slave of Master Sarkkhan. He plans to steal a dragon egg. Although stealing a dragon is an act of theft, stealing a dragon egg is more accepted. This is because of the small chance that there will actually be a baby dragon inside. When Jakkin is hurt and sent to the hospital, he misses the dragon hatching. His hope of training the best dragon in the fighting pits is gone. One night, he sneaks into the hatchling barn. While looking over the hatchlings, he discovers that one dragon has been overlooked. After debating with himself, he takes the dragon to his secret place. He names the dragon, "Heart's Blood." He then begins the task of training the dragon in spite of his small amount of experience. Although the author did a wonderful job creating a completely different world, the story line was slow paced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart's Blood, Dec 8 1999
This is the longest, and probably the most intricate story in the Pit Dragons trilogy. It takes us out of the small confines of the dragon nursery, and into the complex and dangerous world of the wider Austarian society and its relationship with the Galaxian Federation.
Having freed himself from the bond-slave caste, Jakkin goes in search of his beloved Akki, who has become involved in the dangerous power-struggles of the planet, through her association with the enigmatic Senator Golden. Jakkin and his dragon, Heart's Blood (who has just had five hatchlings), go to the planet's capital - Rokk Major, where Akki has been spying on a group of rebels who oppose the caste system. He eventually finds her, but by this time they are both trapped in the middle of a terrifying plot that threatens the entire society of the dragon planet.
As with the other two books, it conveys empathy for the characters which is powerful and unique. The ending of this book is perhaps the most deeply moving and touching part of the whole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart's Blood: What spurred a young girl to write., Dec 15 1997
By A Customer
In sixth grade I had a wonderful teacher. She encouraged my love of reading and my fanciful imagination wich I could often coax down onto paper. She and I had a book trading deal, wich mostly consisted of me lending a book from her. She lent this book to me and she and this wonderful book helped me to decide that I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. Jane Yolen has a powerful reality to all her books, but this was one of the best. I will never forget the way it moved me when I finished it. I hop that I will write as vividly as Jane Yolen does. I have worked hard, but eventually finished my first novel. My sixth grade teacher says that there is so much of every single author of books she had lent me in that thirty page story. I felt proud that this group included Jane Yolen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, and exciting. A true Classic, May 4 1999
By A Customer
In Fourth Grade I had a very special teacher, who wanted us to read more than anything else. She would read to us, and help us find good books that suited our likes and dislikes. One day, my beloved teacher, went to a book convention; promising to bring each of us back a book we would love. Lovingly, she handed me Heart's Blood. Carefully opening it, there were two small messages. The first was from the authoress herself. The second message was from my teacher. I read that book, savoringevery word, and reliving the spirit of Mrs. Gibbons, for now we live in two different states, and I am in 6th grade. If you receive this book as a ift, treasure it, for that person really cares, if they give you such a great piece of Literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart's Blood, Sept. 12 2002
Heart's Blood
I am reading the fantastic book Heart's Blood, by Jane Yolen. The book is the second book in a trilogy called The Pit Dragon Trilogy. I think the book is absolutely awesome. First of all, it is creative, dramatic, and very interesting. It starts off very fast so you don't get bored. One of my favorite parts is when Heart's Blood the dragon fights against a large black dragon. It was such a good scene, that the night I was reading it, I couldn't put the book down! Also, Jane Yolen wrote other great books like Dragon Boy, and Here There Be Dragons.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST, May 24 2000
This book (along with its companions) are one of the best books I have ever read in my life! The expression and feel of the wording makes it come to life inside a persons mind and makes what is just a dream come alive. My congrats to the author (Jane Yolen, who has written WONDERFUL books in the past and hopefully more to come [especially books about mythical creatures such as this]!). I also wish to say that any one who likes to read should, read this book as it teaches lessons in life, as well as in imagination.

2.0 out of 5 stars The first one was deffinently better! From SF, Jan. 11 2003
By A Customer
When I read the first one I was very intrigued. The first one was filled with adventure and action fitting in some humor. I could never put it down. The second was a disapointment. I found myself wishing for the chapter to be over. The humor was sarcastic and the characters have lost there flavor. Of course,it just is a quincedence that the dragon survive a venemous bite and then dies from a shot from a pistol. The only good thing about it was the action with the scene with the guns.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, Dec 11 1999
I though that the first book of the trilogy was pretty good, but this one did not live up to it's predecessor at all. It was all politics and kind of boring. It was OK if you like the subject but I was really expecting something completely different after the first one. You should read it if you liked the first one, and want to read the third. However if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind reading books out of order then you might as well just skip it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon's Blood: a Fantasy
Dragon's Blood: a Fantasy by Jane Yolen (Paperback - Jan. 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.31