5.0 out of 5 stars Hearts Blood
Published on May 24 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Heart's Blood
This book is definitely not one of my favorites but it is still okay. I had a bit of trouble understanding the politics parts of the story. All in all, I suggest that young children who want to read this book, wait till they're older and will understand the point of the story more.
Published on Jan. 9 2000 by DeeDee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Heart's Blood, Jan. 9 2000
DeeDee (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearts Blood, May 24 2004
By A Customer
I think Jane Yolen out did herself and hit a homerun, with Hearts Blood, an extraordinary book. In this vivid storyline, a boy named Jakkin risks his life, his dragon Hearts Blood's life, and his dragons hatchlings life, to save his love Akki. The risk was being involved with the rebels who are against the republic and the republic send people down to the colony to keep everything in order but then the rebels exploded the side of the Major dragon pit called in the city of Rokk. The people from the republic think Akki and Jakkin did it so they flee. Will the republic find them or not, what will happen to Jakkin and Akki? read Hearts Blood to find out. I've read the whole series, and many of her other books such as; Devils Arithmetic, The rest of the Pit Dragon trilogy, Merlin, and Armageddon Summer. Her word choice was great because she uses words that you wouldn't normally know the meaning to, but when she uses them you do; such as, "Myriad of colors", and she is very imaginative in the ways she described the dragons.
I highly recommend this book to all young adults.

2.0 out of 5 stars The first one was deffinently better! From SF, Jan. 11 2003
By A Customer
When I read the first one I was very intrigued. The first one was filled with adventure and action fitting in some humor. I could never put it down. The second was a disapointment. I found myself wishing for the chapter to be over. The humor was sarcastic and the characters have lost there flavor. Of course,it just is a quincedence that the dragon survive a venemous bite and then dies from a shot from a pistol. The only good thing about it was the action with the scene with the guns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart's Blood, Sept. 12 2002
Heart's Blood
I am reading the fantastic book Heart's Blood, by Jane Yolen. The book is the second book in a trilogy called The Pit Dragon Trilogy. I think the book is absolutely awesome. First of all, it is creative, dramatic, and very interesting. It starts off very fast so you don't get bored. One of my favorite parts is when Heart's Blood the dragon fights against a large black dragon. It was such a good scene, that the night I was reading it, I couldn't put the book down! Also, Jane Yolen wrote other great books like Dragon Boy, and Here There Be Dragons.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book, Dec 5 2001
"rosebuddy11" (Wanship, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This book was one of the best books I have ever read. I read alot, I mean reading is basiclly my whole life! My family and I were in the book store one day and said she would buy us all one book. One book? How was it possible to choose? There were so many! I started to scan the sci-fi/fantasy section(my personal favorite genre) when I came to a book called Dragon's Blood. I love fantasy, adventure, mid-evil, dragons kind of stuff so I stopped to read the back. When I finished, I was certain this was the right book to choose. I took it home and read it in 2-3 days. I couldn't put it down. The word choice was excellent, because even though I'm only 13, I understood everything. I couldn't stop thinking and talking about it so my older sister read it. She loved it too. (...) I knew there were more books after Dragon's Blood. This was my chance to use it! I can't wait for my new books to come in the mail! If you are reading this and havn't read these books, I seriously recomend you do a.s.a.p. All books have effects on your life, this one made me wonder if there really is another planet with dragons!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of thee best book's i've ever read, Nov. 10 2001
i think the whole trilogy was very amazing.suspenceful and very well wrote. My hat goes off to the auther, Jane Yolen. once you start reading it, you'll never want to put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, Feb. 27 2001
Fifteen year old Jakkin Stewart lives on the planet Austar IV. The planet was settled by convicts and guards sent from earth in 2303. Several generations later, a system was developed. To be a master, you must be free. To stay free, you must have money. You do this by training dragons to fight in the pit. Jakkin is a bond slave of Master Sarkkhan. He plans to steal a dragon egg. Although stealing a dragon is an act of theft, stealing a dragon egg is more accepted. This is because of the small chance that there will actually be a baby dragon inside. When Jakkin is hurt and sent to the hospital, he misses the dragon hatching. His hope of training the best dragon in the fighting pits is gone. One night, he sneaks into the hatchling barn. While looking over the hatchlings, he discovers that one dragon has been overlooked. After debating with himself, he takes the dragon to his secret place. He names the dragon, "Heart's Blood." He then begins the task of training the dragon in spite of his small amount of experience. Although the author did a wonderful job creating a completely different world, the story line was slow paced.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST, May 25 2000
This book (along with its companions) are one of the best books I have ever read in my life! The expression and feel of the wording makes it come to life inside a persons mind and makes what is just a dream come alive. My congrats to the author (Jane Yolen, who has written WONDERFUL books in the past and hopefully more to come [especially books about mythical creatures such as this]!). I also wish to say that any one who likes to read should, read this book as it teaches lessons in life, as well as in imagination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still makes me cry...., March 29 2000
By A Customer
I read this series when I was much younger, but still enjoy it. Heart's blood, the second in the series, is not as good as the first or third, but still a good read. The politics were slightly confusing, but not too bad. Out of all the books I've read over and over, this is one of the few whose ending still makes me cry...and cry, and cry. If you're as avid a dragon-lover as I, it will probably affect you the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, Feb. 29 2000
By A Customer
This book was about a boy who hears that the girl he loves isin danger, and decides he must go save her, even though his beloveddragon heart's blood has just given birth to 5 baby dragons. This is a wonderful book that I think any lover of dragons should read. You can really get into it, and feel the story, cry and laugh. This book kept me riveted, and I couldn't wait to get the next book in the series: A Sending of Dragons.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon's Blood: a Fantasy
Dragon's Blood: a Fantasy by Jane Yolen (Paperback - Jan. 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.29