5.0 out of 5 stars Acupuncture without Needles

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad writing, Bad Diagrams, No Background Information
Published on Sept. 22 2000 by Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Acupuncture without Needles, May 31 2000
This review is from: Acupuncture Without Needles (Paperback)
First - I'm not Gail, I'm her husband, Bill. I got my first issue of this book in 1981 and have not been without it since. To say that the information is dated is true, but Chinese medicine is thousands of years old and still widely used throughout the the world. The pressure points and ailments have not changed as humanity has evolved, therefore being "dated" does not truely apply to this book. Every time I use the ABC program I am amazed. I've mainly used it on my wife for lower back problems and a bi-polar disorder, but over the years we have used it for many ailments. It's even more astonishing that my fingers can accomplish what medical chemistry does - but without the side effect. However we still do as the book suggests - about always consulting your family doctor. This book is as much a part of my first aid kit or medicine cabinet as a bandaid or asprin. I have read and purchased several books on acupressure, many are very good but I always come back to this one as my standard. The copy I have now is worn and torn, time to buy a new one. Thanks Amazon for having it on your list.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad writing, Bad Diagrams, No Background Information, Sept. 22 2000
Steve (Takoma Park, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acupuncture Without Needles (Paperback)
I agree with the second reviewer. The writing style is that of hukstar snake oil health food advertisement. It is also explains things poorly. The diagrams are labeled with handwritten notes making them hard to read. The diagrams don't match the descriptions. Hardly any background information is given to "why" you are doing one thing as opposed to another. The directions suck. You don't have an easy sense of knowing what you are doing

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy writing, poor diagrams, and lack of background, Sept. 22 2000
Steve (Takoma Park, Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acupuncture Without Needles (Paperback)
I agree with the second reviewer about the writing style. It reads like a huckster miracle food ad pamphlet. The diagrams are labeled with handwritten notes that are hard to read. The descriptions of the diagrams don't match the diagrams. You are never sure if you are doing things correctly. Next to no background is given why you are doing what you are doing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Might have some good information, but very dated, April 27 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Acupuncture Without Needles (Paperback)
The good thing about this book is the abundance of very detailed illustrations to help you locate the pressure points. But the style is very, very goofy and dated. The text is written in a breathless style that brings the word "huckster" to mind. It is full of all kinds of far-fetched claims about the wonders of "Acupressure USA!" and supposed case histories of stars that are too big to name, and at least one ridiculous profile of a successful lady ad exec who knocks out skeptical clients with her "huge breasts, long legs and peaches-and-cream complexion". There are also lots of exclamation marks! Then there's the illustration of acupressure techniques to increase your breast size -- ha, ha! Acupressure is a useful technique, but there's too much hype in this book to take it seriously.

Acupuncture Without Needles
Acupuncture Without Needles by J. V. Cerney (Paperback - Jan. 29 2003)
CDN$ 19.50 CDN$ 14.08