5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for any level

Published on Jan. 4 2004 by Imtiazur Syed

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for any level, July 1 2004
Khalil Virji "Khalil V, NY" (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
I have been working with SQL Server for the last five years and about two years ago when I was in a dilemma about transactions I purchased this book. It totally cleared all my concepts and I was able to not only resolve transaction problems that I was having but also become an expert within my firm. The book helped me gain a lot of respect with my fellow collegues. If you are looking to really become a SQL Server black belt and get a great understanding of what happens INSIDE then this is a highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with info you can't find elsewhere, June 26 2004
Adam Machanic "Data Dude" (Melrose, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
This book is a must-have for DBAs or developers who want an inside view of SQL Server's architecture. It contains very little content duplicated from Books Online and delves much deeper than the majority of SQL Server books available.
Delaney shows everything from how data is actually stored on disc to the internals of the query optimizer. I find her writing style to be smooth and easy to digest, and I had no problem reading this book cover-to-cover.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, May 29 2004
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
We recently moved from Informix to Sql 2K and found this book very useful. Thanks to this and Henderson's book we were able to make the migration in 6 months. We actually unplugged the Informix server yesterday.
This book teaches how Sql works inside. The product docs don't even tell half the story, so a book like this can help fill in the gaps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 26 2004
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
I usually prefer the Sybex books than the Microsoft books. But this book is really good. It is the best complement for the Self Paced Book. I wasn't ready for the exam until I finished this book. This book contains information useful not only for the exam but also for the real life.
I passed the exam two days ago and passed with 893.
I recommend this book for guys with SQL intermediate skills. Advanced user may find more useful the BOL, but maybe some samples will be useful. Beginners won't understand some sections.
This book uses examples to explain the theory (I love to learn using this way).
This book complements the SELF PACED training kit book in the following areas :
Transactions
Accessing to data
Retrieve, filter, group, summarize, and modify data by using Transact-SQL.
Manage result sets by using cursors and Transact-SQL. Considerations include locking models and appropriate usage.
Analyze the query execution plan. Considerations include query processor operations and steps.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of three "must have" resources for SQL Server, April 8 2004
Kenneth J. Powers "wyatt70" (Bayside, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
If you want to be a SQL Server DBA, there are really only three resources you need in order to gain a solid foundation of knowledge. Your first resource is Books Online, which is part of the SQL Server software. Next, read Ken England's book on Performance Optimization (ISBN 1-55558-241-9). When you finish those, read this book.
What I like about this book is that the author explains WHY SQL Server does things in a particular way. The book goes into great detail about SQL Server's architecture and internal processes. For this reason, the book is a great ally to have when you're working with a developer who doesn't understand database concepts. Yet, at the same time, it is easy to read.
This book is especially ideal for those who need to get a thorough understanding of transactions, locking and performance tuning.
When you're ready to become an expert in SQL Server, read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate but sloppy, Jan. 22 2004
Jaewoo Kim "OB-Wan" (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
The book is probably the best out there (the author works for Microsoft SQL Development) for understanding the underlying SQL architecture (index, transaction logs, locks, data placement on disks etc). This is not a book for the beginners but for those who seek more than superficial understanding of SQL. Nor is this book for those who seek comprehensive knowledge of SQL because it addresses mostly SQL architecture. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this book both for the DBA and the Developers alike.
My main qualm with this book is it seems to be hastily written. It reads almost like a late night term paper. This is not to say the information is inaccurate, but the writing of this book is second rate and the author's lack of enthusiasm for explaining the finer points is evident.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somebody forgot SQLXML, Jan. 4 2004
Imtiazur Syed (Olathe, KS, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
I was browsing through the book in a bookstore and saw that a chapter on SQL 2K's support for XML missing. I think any book on SQL Server 2000 that doesn't have at least a discussion on SQL Server 2000's support for XML is incomplete. I looked in the index for the XML. None there. I felt that the same title for version 7 was the best resource for learning SQL Server but this one ranks at least 2 stars below that.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the author of SQL Server 2000 Bible, Nov. 3 2003
Paul Nielsen (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
As the author of SQL Server book, I would not hesitate to recommend Kalen Delaney's book or any of her seminars. Her book is a reference work that I keep handy on my shelf. Each time I hear her speak I am impressed with her knowledge and her ability to communicate difficult concepts clearly.
Every published book serves a specific purpose - Inside SQL Server's purpose is to illuminate the internal architecture of SQL Server so that developers and admins can make better educated decisions and develop better databases. Within that purpose her book is excellent and well written.
Is it all things to all people? no. Does it do an excellent job of meeting its purpose? without question, yes. There are some reader reviews that seem to criticize Kalen's work for not meeting other needs, and I don't understand these comments. If you need a general SQL, T-SQL programming tutorial, XML/SQL, or introductory SQL Server book, Inside SQL Server is probably too focused on the internal workings of SQL Server and I'd recommend that you begin with one of the other excellent books on SQL Server. But, if you want to get deeper into the internals so you understand why you're writing code or tuning indexes, then there can be no question that Kalan's book is a must have on your shelf. Sooner or later, if you're serious about SQL Server, you should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., Aug. 27 2003
Maamoun Khalil (Beirut, Lebanon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
This is a must have book for any serious SQL Server programmer.
I was amazed by the level of details that the book covers. It is the BIBLE of Microsoft SQL Server 2000. From the architectural viewpoint, there no way to compare this book with any other in the market. It shows you the implementation as well as the programming details of Microsoft SQL Server. If you are serious about knowing SQL Server inns & outs. Get this great book. I enjoyed every paragraph and page along the way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too descriptive, BOL type, July 4 2003
T. Singh (Assen, Drenthe Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 (Paperback)
Not really a good book, too descriptive.

ARRAY(0x10b4b900)

Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000
Inside Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2000 by Kalen Delaney (Paperback - Dec 18 2000)
CDN$ 86.99 CDN$ 79.08