5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for intermediate/advanced developers

3.0 out of 5 stars Inside C# -- A Hollow Inside
Published on April 2 2003 by Joseph D. Wagner

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be further from the truth, June 19 2004
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
I read the book cover to cover, but wish I hadn't picked it up in the first place. It turned out to be one of the worst investment of my time.
If you want to buy this book, forget it. Download the freely available C# language Speciciation, the tutorials in the spec are far better.
This book is nice up to the first 6 or 7 chapters. (That's why many people thought it was a good book, 'cuz they didn't have time to read all the chapters before making a comment)
The rest fell far short of expectation from MSPress's "Inside" titles. Its presentation on important topics like delegate, event and interface are so lousy that you'll be better off not reading them at all. (For event, it utterly failed to explain what's unique to the "event" keyword)
If you are still not convinced this is one of those rubbish titles, let me point you to a glaring example in Chapter 13, the section on User-Defined Conversion. Spend 3 to 5 minutes on it, and see if you could make heads or tails of the gibberish. Do you think any self-respecting author would allow this sort of junk to slip into his flagship title? Guess the editor must have slept on the job as well. (Remember, it's already the second edition, so no more excuse on the time-to-market stuff)
As I read on from chap 7, there was mounting doubt if the author spend nearly enough time to the basic research, and whenever I encounter some incomprehensible paragraph, my first thought would be "Tom messed up again?"
A decent book on a programming language like C#(or java) should at least cover AND differentiate 2 aspects:
1) The language: All language elements, syntax, semantics, subtle differences, with easy-to-understand, practical examples.
2) The platform: i.e.: Core functions of the Framework Class Library, how to use I/O? how to manipulate strings, dates, how to do basic sorting/searching.
For this book, it's just a muddled mix of the two, dotted with deassembled IL, and could be better renamed to "Tom's tome of study notes on C#" (you get the drift? that's right, Tom himself has a lot to learn about C#. Why not attend a training session from real giants like Jeff Richter, Tom?)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for intermediate/advanced developers, May 4 2004
Dan Crevier (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
As others have mentioned, this book is not aimed at new developers. However, if you are an intermediate or advanced developers, this is a great book for learning C# in depth. One thing I found very useful is that it often refers to C++ or Java to point out differences. This is very important in areas where C# works differently, like calling virtual functions from constructors.
The book shows lots of MSIL for the examples. Although there's a table of the MSIL commands in the back, there's not enough information in this book for these to be comletely understandable. You'll need to learn more about the CLR and MSIL elsewhere for these to really be helpful.
A wide range of topics are covered, including some advanced topics like COM interop. There is also a chapter on security, although I felt it lumped too many topics together there without going into enough depth on them.
The biggest problem I had with the book was the huge number of typos and misprints. I noticed another reviewer said that many of the examples didn't compile. This could have been one of the reasons. I was amazed at how many errors I saw in the code, most of which looked like simple typos.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, July 25 2003
James Wilkinson (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
I read this book to get an in-depth, inside view of the inside workings of the C# language.
I didn't get that - I got introductory exercises followed by some unstructured detail, all interspersed with irrelevant opinion and off-topic rambling.
The word 'Inside' implies that the book would go into intimate detail about every aspect of the topic (have a look at 'Inside Windows NT' for example) and I feel that this book tried to go into that detail in some places, but not others.
I wouldn't recommend this book because:
1. Too high level; I'd question the inclusion of the 'introduction to Object Oriented programming' sections. The back cover quotes "in-depth architectural information". I don't agree with that.
2. A lot of inaccuracies; I question whether the author really knows the C++ language as his C++ code snippets are often wrong, which is unhelpful when you are migrating from C++ to C#.
3. Many omissions or lack of detail - like controlling Disposable objects' lifetime through the 'using' keyword (an important feature); 'override', 'abstract', 'volatile', 'ref', 'stackalloc' and 'base' keywords.
4. Too much white space, and I found the code samples to be poorly presented - repeating entire files of code just to show a single line changed is a waste of trees.
There are many other books on the subject that are better than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for everyone :-), July 4 2003
"nishforever" (Trivandrum, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
I always assumed that Inside C# was a book for beginners and even though I had a copy with me, I never really did much more than casually browse through it. But recently I had an opportunity of teaching some basic C# to a group of youngsters and I thought I'd use the book as a reference so that I can chart out a schedule for teaching. It was a totally unexpected though pleasant surprise for me when I found that the book had a lot of interesting stuff even for an intermediate-to-advanced level programmer. I wonder how many other books out there show us the IL that is generated and explain what it does in simple and easy-to-understand language.
Now I am using it as my leisure time reading book because it really has a lot of useful information. While I might have stumbled upon these little bits of info on my own, this book does save me a lot of time and energy in the sense it's all written there in nice big print for me to assimilate. I strongly recommend this book for all of you with a hunger for knowledge. It doesn't matter if you have been doing C# for ages, the book will still have something for each of you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inside C# -- A Hollow Inside, April 2 2003
Joseph D. Wagner "TechnoJoe" (Vancouver, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
The title, "Inside C#," couldn't be more appropriate, which can be a double edged sword. When it says "C#" it means C# and C# alone. You must have knowledge and understanding of the Microsoft .NET Framework before you can fully comprehend and appreciate what this book has to offer. You must also have prior programming experience. This book does not even touch either of these prerequisites, so if you don't have both of them, this book is not for you.
This book is for those who want to go "Inside" the C# programming language itself, the in-and-outs, nuts-and-bolts, guts of what C# does and why C# does what it does. This book is for people who want to learn the abstract features of C#, but it will not teach you C# itself. The code samples are few and poorly explained, and the how-to's are completely absent.
To sum it up, if you want to learn how-to program C# this book is not for you. If you want to learn the nuts-and-bolts, behind the scenes reasoning, and abstract features behind C# then this book is an excellent source of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intro to a fun language, Jan. 22 2003
This review is from: Inside C# (Paperback)
If you're looking for the Kernigan & Ritchie equivalent of C#, then look no further. Tom Archer describes the C# language concisely and accurately, and even makes comparisons to C, C++, and Java, to help those making the transition.
He describes everything: namespaces, classes, inheritance, interfaces, delegates, events, multithreading, and COM interoperability. What's great is that he does everything on the command line -- not a single Windows form, not even a message box. This allows him to focus on the language itself.
He even explains why the design team at Microsoft made certain decisions. For example, why use a garbage-collection system instead of a reference counting system? He describes the thought processes that went on at Microsoft, which is a really nice touch. His style is very easy and conversational, and I had a great time reading it.
There were a few areas which I would have liked him to explain in greater details (threading, for example), but considering that he had to learn the language while writing about it, he did a superb job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, Jan. 20 2003
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
This book, in my humble opinion is the best book about the C# language, period.
It explains well all the aspects of the C# language, with a twist, in almost all the chapters the authors delve in IL code, to show us the real work performed by the C# compiler and to really understand what is really happening and why it's happening. If you really didn't care about performance of your applications in the managed world, this book perhaps will be an eye opener for you, rest assured. For the performance lover, the authors strive many times to increase the quality of generated IL code, leading us to be much more proficient with the C# language and far more competent. This book will teach also to love the ILDASM tool, that is if you already don't love it ... it's a great teaching aid and great tool to discover eventual tricky problems.
The book have a lot of code snippets to help clarify the concepts and this aspect works very well, at least for me , it reinforced well the author's explanations, so this in conjunction with the IL snippets sprayed along the entire book is definitely a KILLER teaching aid .. The authors also are constantly comparing the language and the concepts with existing technologies like COM , MFC and C++ , this helped me a lot because my background is from these technologies, for the readers that don't have this background but have some experience don't worry because you will learn well too, for the beginners the book is a bit more head-scratching because of the constant low-level and high-level switching view, but this isn't an disadvantage, be rest assured that you have a good book to learn from and that will give you solid foundations on the C# language and prepare you to use C# in real world scenarios and with greater confidence; so I recommend this book to all levels of programmers with some programming experience.
I liked all the chapters, but my favourite ones were all from Advanced C# part, like Deterministic finalization and the Dispose pattern, Pinning and memory management, Using COM from C# applications, .NET components in unmanaged code, etc, but all of them offer valuable insight in all the C# language aspects.
Concerning the authors, I only talked with Tom Archer, and let' me say that the author is a extremely accessible and helpful person that tries to answer any kind of question that perhaps you had any doubt about it, even when he is terribly occupied, this a great added value to this great book, so this IS NOT that kind of book in which you are left alone in the dark if that worries you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for intermediate readers, Dec 11 2002
Mahmood (Dublin, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
The book covers C# language in detail and overview of important .Net classes. The addition of new chapters "String Handling and Regular Expressions", "File I/O with Streams", etc.. is very informative. I liked explaining of MSIL of important example. It helped me to understand topics like Boxing, Attributes and Reflection. The quality of the example code is not very good and needs improvement. Confusing naming of class, fileds, parameters, variables. Specially for novice reader. Null == abc Same name for properties, field and parameters. The chapter 14 - delegates and event handlers need improvement. Smaller and clearer examples and more commentary are required. I could not find two topics in the book: Windows Forms and Databases. Primary reason to select this book was that the book comes with CD that has electronic version of the book. Recently I noted that I am more comfortable reading a book on the screen as compare to paper.
As a whole the book is excellent for intermediate readers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Look for Shorter, Clearer Books, Oct. 14 2002
Andrew Shapira (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
As someone who has developed software for 25 years, including 4 years
with C++ and none with Java, I find some features of this book appealing,
but have the impression that clearer, shorter books must exist that cover
the same material. This nearly 900-page book covers a wide range of C#
topics and is meant to be especially readable for people that know C++
or Java. An appendix describes the assembly-language-like intermediate
language into which C# and other languages are compiled. Examples of C#
code account for a substantial fraction of the book.
Many of the examples show intermediate code into which example C#
code has been translated. Early on, I found these translations and
the appendix useful for getting a feel for the intermediate language.
After a chapter or two, I started skipping over the translated versions.
Eliminating most of these translated versions would make the book
significantly shorter without compromising the discussion.
The book has a chatty writing style that is probably intended to be
friendly. There is nothing inherently wrong with using this idea in
scientific and engineering writing, but this book's presentation comes
across as paternalistic and verbose. For me, the last straw, and the
cause of my writing this review, is a flowery sentence in the chapter
summary on page 212:
"In this way, attributes are like a breath of fresh air -- in one
fell swoop releasing the shackles that have bound developers for so
many years."
Some of the writing is equally painful to read, and distracting. Writing
improvements and better editing could clarify the book and make it, say,
20% shorter. Problems include the excessive and not-quite-correct
use of the words "however" and "although", frequent use of the word
"I" in a book with two authors, and referring to terms that have not
yet been defined. Some of the book's examples are framed in terms of
Microsoft Windows topics; even someone intimately familiar with Windows
might feel that the material to be explained does not require the amount
of text that this book uses to set up its examples.
The book, published by Microsoft Press, refers to the intermediate
language almost exclusively as MSIL, for "Microsoft Intermediate
Language". There is apparently a distinction between MSIL and CIL
("common intermediate language"). The book's index has some two dozen
entries for MSIL, but just one entry for CIL. This entry points to
page 548. The relationship between CIL and MSIL, whatever it is, is
important enough that it needs to be explained in the first few pages,
and indexed! This and similar cases in the book give the impression
that the C# language is a Microsoft product for Microsoft platforms only.
It appears, though, that this is not Microsoft's intent, and that C# is
not evolving in this way. See, for example, go-mono.com, or numerous
articles on the web about the adoption of C# and common language
infrastructure for standards by the European Computer Manufacturers
Association (ECMA).
When reading about something familiar in this book, such as C# concepts
that are similar in C++, I went through the material quickly and skipped
many of the examples; with less-familiar topics, I found myself reading
the material and then seeking clarification elsewhere. It's often nice
for readers to have multiple sources when learning something new, but
in the case of C#, a clearer book can probably be written for the
same audience while presenting less of a need to use multiple sources.
Particularly for experienced developers, using other books to learn C#
should be more efficient than using this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ug this book ...., Oct. 4 2002
Dustin Michaels (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
Well I heard that C# was supposed to be the new hot thing, so i decided to buy a few books about it.
But after reading 1/2 this book in a day I can tell you one thing, don't buy this book!
The first 1/2 of the book it just talks about the .net and gives hardly any code.
Finally on chapter five it starts talking about classes, interfaces and all that good stuff. But his examples are so short and dumb.
Finally on chapter 10 he talks about the expressions and operators and how to use the loops. To me it makes no sense why he started talking about OOP stuff before he covered the basics on how to do loops and expersions.
Finally at the end there is some other stuff that i haven't read yet ;-0.
But in general I thought his examples were crappy, and short. With the book there is a cd rom that contains all the files and examples he made, and it only adds up to about 1.2 megs!
The last programming book I bought was Programming Windows with MFC and the author had great examples.
My advice is to to find another book if you want to learn how to program c#

Inside C#, Second Edition
Inside C#, Second Edition by Andrew Whitechape Tom Archer (Paperback - April 1 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 5.91