5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for intermediate/advanced developers
Published on May 4 2004 by Dan Crevier

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Intro to C# - Title misleading
The book starts with a good overview of the OO concepts, the beginners would love this... makes them think OOAD and OOP are a piece of cake.
However, this book fails to be on par with the rest of the Inside series from microsoft press and may not be upto the expectations of the readers adept to Inside series.
There are some concepts like Threading, Reflection,...
Published on July 9 2003 by A. Moola

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be renamed, July 14 2004
Rui Jiang (BELLEVUE, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
This is actually an introduction to C#, good for beginners, but not for people who already have a lot of experience on other languages like C++. Title is misleading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be further from the truth, June 19 2004
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
I read the book cover to cover, but wish I hadn't picked it up in the first place. It turned out to be one of the worst investment of my time.
If you want to buy this book, forget it. Download the freely available C# language Speciciation, the tutorials in the spec are far better.
This book is nice up to the first 6 or 7 chapters. (That's why many people thought it was a good book, 'cuz they didn't have time to read all the chapters before making a comment)
The rest fell far short of expectation from MSPress's "Inside" titles. Its presentation on important topics like delegate, event and interface are so lousy that you'll be better off not reading them at all. (For event, it utterly failed to explain what's unique to the "event" keyword)
If you are still not convinced this is one of those rubbish titles, let me point you to a glaring example in Chapter 13, the section on User-Defined Conversion. Spend 3 to 5 minutes on it, and see if you could make heads or tails of the gibberish. Do you think any self-respecting author would allow this sort of junk to slip into his flagship title? Guess the editor must have slept on the job as well. (Remember, it's already the second edition, so no more excuse on the time-to-market stuff)
As I read on from chap 7, there was mounting doubt if the author spend nearly enough time to the basic research, and whenever I encounter some incomprehensible paragraph, my first thought would be "Tom messed up again?"
A decent book on a programming language like C#(or java) should at least cover AND differentiate 2 aspects:
1) The language: All language elements, syntax, semantics, subtle differences, with easy-to-understand, practical examples.
2) The platform: i.e.: Core functions of the Framework Class Library, how to use I/O? how to manipulate strings, dates, how to do basic sorting/searching.
For this book, it's just a muddled mix of the two, dotted with deassembled IL, and could be better renamed to "Tom's tome of study notes on C#" (you get the drift? that's right, Tom himself has a lot to learn about C#. Why not attend a training session from real giants like Jeff Richter, Tom?)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for intermediate/advanced developers, May 4 2004
Dan Crevier (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
As others have mentioned, this book is not aimed at new developers. However, if you are an intermediate or advanced developers, this is a great book for learning C# in depth. One thing I found very useful is that it often refers to C++ or Java to point out differences. This is very important in areas where C# works differently, like calling virtual functions from constructors.
The book shows lots of MSIL for the examples. Although there's a table of the MSIL commands in the back, there's not enough information in this book for these to be comletely understandable. You'll need to learn more about the CLR and MSIL elsewhere for these to really be helpful.
A wide range of topics are covered, including some advanced topics like COM interop. There is also a chapter on security, although I felt it lumped too many topics together there without going into enough depth on them.
The biggest problem I had with the book was the huge number of typos and misprints. I noticed another reviewer said that many of the examples didn't compile. This could have been one of the reasons. I was amazed at how many errors I saw in the code, most of which looked like simple typos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I could ask for, May 3 2004
Tony Duval (Allentown, Penn.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
For C# developers this book should be required reading. It will teach you to think in C#, to see the answers to problems without writing a line of code.
Archer writes in a very straightforward and easy style. I found the book hard to put down. The explanations are clear and concise.
The examples are extremely well-done. I learned as much from them as from the book itself. You'll want to work through every one of these - you'll learn tons from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Archer title, March 15 2004
Diana Finley (Doraville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
I purchased this book after reading Mr. Archer's Visual C++.NET Bible and am extremely happy with it. I have quite a few C# books and can say without hesitation that this book, Jesse Liberty's and Petzold's SECOND C# book are the only C# books worth owning. You buy those three and you'll be set. I personally use them as follows:
* Jesse Liberty - Better than Archer in terms of tutorial style writing. Use this book as your first C# book
* Tom Archer - Awesome reference material and low-level details of the language. Use this book as a reference after finishing Liberty's book
* Charles Petzold - Great for learning how to write Windows apps with C# - once you've learned the language with Archer & Liberty.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction, Jan. 18 2004
Amazon Customer "ultramaroon" (Scottsdale, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
and very very readable. The chapter on exception handling alone is worth the price. It's the best explanation I've yet read of why one should use SEH rather than return codes.
I read it cover to cover and now it's time to fire up the compiler and go through the book a second time.
Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with this book..., Jan. 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
Several of the examples don't compile/assemble. Very annoying. I'm ascribing this to drift in C# syntax since the 2002 edition, but in my opinion the book is of dubious use at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!!, Dec 12 2003
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
I needed this book for a project I had to do in school and it was absolutely fantastic! I basically came across as a C# genius when I had only been using (and reading this book) for less than 2 weeks! Thank you Mr Archer for my A+ :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Support: Download Code, View Errata & Ask Me Questions!, Dec 2 2003
Thomas M. Archer (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
According to Nielsen BookScan - the retail sales monitoring service for books that is used by all major book publishers - Inside C# is now the best-selling C# book of all time! I'd like to thank all of you for your support and let you know that I've created several Web pages on my ArcherConsultingGroup site that include:
* The latest demo source code
* A current errata
* A discussion board for asking me questions about the book
Thanks again for your continued support!
Tom Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for all levels, Nov. 3 2003
Surush Cyrus (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside C#, Second Edition (Paperback)
Fantastic book, well worth the money even if you are new to C# and .NET.
For the beginners, I also recommend buying Step by Step version 2003.

Inside C#, Second Edition
Inside C#, Second Edition by Andrew Whitechape Tom Archer (Paperback - April 1 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 5.89