5.0 out of 5 stars Details! Details!
This is a highly detailed 1400 page text produced by the good people at Microsoft. Typical Microsoft, the book tends to read like stereo instructions. That aside, I gave it 5 stars because of its detailed and comprehensive coverage of the subject. The included CD is also impressive, with a networking encyclopedia and dictionary included.
This book is not for light...
Published on April 15 2004 by Ron Atkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Authors Know Just Enough To Be Dangerous
With any technical book that has 1435 pages, you have to give the author(s) an "A" for effort. However, my experience has been that whenever I have an XP question, I can get a faster and better answer on the Google Newsgroups.
Published on Sept. 9 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Details! Details!, April 15 2004
This book is not for light weights. If you are a home or private user of XP, I would recommend you shop elsewhere. However, if you are an administrator then you need to ask yourself, Why is this book not on my reference shelf? Get your boss to buy it for you.
Compare this book to Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows XP Professional" (ISBN: 0782141145).

2.0 out of 5 stars Authors Know Just Enough To Be Dangerous, Sept. 9 2003
By A Customer
I do have a more serious complaint about this book, though. While reading it, I stumbled acrossed a section on installing dual-boot system. The authors detailed all of the advantages, but failed to mention that once you do this you can't get rid of it. The system files wind up on one OS and the boot files wind up on another. Now I just have to live with the situation or reformat and start over. This problem is one of the most discussed XP problems on the newsgroups and was documented well before the book was published.
I would have been much better off if I had never bought the book. My advice: Buy a smaller and cheaper book if you are a beginner and get your info off the newsgroups if you are more advanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to Windows XP for advanced users, May 30 2003
There are two versions of this book. The hardcover version has a couple more chapters and also more free e-books on the accompanying CD-ROM. The paperback version is, not surprisingly, cheaper and more portable (but still heavy!).
There's a lot of "meat" in this book, and the two authors did a wonderful job of keeping the book very well organized and very well written. The writing is fluid and you can almost read it like a novel, of course, assuming you are a PC geek like myself. Most other computer books I can hardly follow without sitting in front of the computer, but this book is so clear and well illustrated that I read chapter after cheapter in one sitting even when I did not have my XP laptop with me.
In terms of content, it covers everything an advanced user needs in order to fine-tune Windows XP. Both Profesional and Home editions of the OS are covered. (The hardcover version of the book has a nice summary on the differences at the beginning of *each* chapter.) This is a must-have guide for anyone looking to take full advantage of Windows XP as well as trouble-shooting when things go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Details details, July 8 2004
By A Customer
For Windows XP coverage it is very good. The book is very well documented. What you'll find in the 1200 pages is nearly everything you want to know about the OS. Having worked with XP for over 2 years, I am finding new things out everyday. I was pleasantly surprised to see that these authors have gone to great lengths to make the understanding of the OS not as a complex as it seems. The book also has a cd included and an e-book. I think the overall value comes from the fact that the book covers a wide range of topics and is detailed and well documented. I also recommend Windows Server 2003 Inside Out which has quickly become my most valued server reference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak effort; lots of pages, little detail, May 18 2004
By A Customer
If you're looking for a phonebook-sized volume with the words "Windows XP" printed on the cover, this one is for you. But there are more focused, more detailed, and far more useful books out there. Don't let all the shill reviews here fool you; Windows XP Inside/Out is yet another weak Microsoft in-house effort, used as nothing more than a pretense and an excuse at the lack of real support from this software behemoth. 1300 pages of you-probably-already-know-this information, and virtually no substantial coverage of the registry, scripting, networking, or security. Don't waste your time or your money on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Measured by Usefulness, Jan. 26 2004
Carol Goodwin (OK) - See all my reviews
this books has saved me countless hours and $. That is how I measure a books worth. Was it worth the price? More than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hefty, beany, beefy, Dec 2 2003
Thomas B. Gross (Winchester, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a huge book, 1165 pages filled with good stuff, plus an index of 77 pages. Lots of stuff I didn't even know that I didn't know. It is worth the (rather reasonably low) price of this book just to get its recommendation for a really good shareware imaging program. A great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars The XP Bible, Dec 1 2003
Ogden Lamont (Belmont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
A great reference for Widows XP. Covers just about everything in a well written, easy to read style. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - obviously a lot of hard work went into it!, Nov. 15 2003
I discovered this book a while back when it was ordered for a class that I was teaching on Windows XP Professional. This book wasn't appropriate for that class, but I was impressed with all of the information they put in here. I certainly recommend this book for anyone who wants information about using and supporting Windows XP Home or Professional. This is a great book for a technical user or desktop support person. Even a network administrator could find some good stuff in here, but it really does give a whole lot of excellent detail. This is not a fluff book. You never get the impression they are trying to round it out. By the way, I don't know any of these authors. I have been writing for Microsoft Press lately, but I have no financial or social gain from writing this positive review. I just want to praise a fellow author team for working hard and putting out a truly good book. There seems to be so much junk out there, it is nice to see a really good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best XP Admin book I've ran into so far..., Oct. 27 2003
James Duckett (St. George, Utah) - See all my reviews
I've read a couple of books on Windows XP. This one is great as that any beginner to Windows XP will catch onto its concepts well, but even as an expert I've learned a lot of things from this book.
As an example, I was reading another book and it was telling me about a feature I could use. I thought it was a great feature and went to try it out and it didn't work. Disappointed, I figured that this particular book had just lazily copied the information from Windows 2000 (which it worked fine it). Then I was reading this book and it explained that this particular feature is turned off by default in Windows XP and then explained how to get it turned back on.
That is what I love about this book... it explains in excellent detail the many quirks of Windows XP and how to fix them. I've been looking for a book like this. As an administrator, these quirks can be frustrating and whenever I pick up this book I seem to think, "Oh, man... if I only knew that when I ran into that problem last week."
If you are an administrator, I would highly suggest have this book on your reference shelf. Even better... read this puppy cover to cover. It does cover a lot of the basics, but pay attention to the boxed sections marked "tip" and "caution" and "InsideOut". Even if you only read these parts, you will be a better administrator.
I will be very interested in checking out other materials written by these authors. This is a very excellent technical reference.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out
Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out by Craig Stinson (Paperback - Nov. 7 2004)
CDN$ 64.99 CDN$ 41.31