5.0 out of 5 stars Details! Details!
This is a highly detailed 1400 page text produced by the good people at Microsoft. Typical Microsoft, the book tends to read like stereo instructions. That aside, I gave it 5 stars because of its detailed and comprehensive coverage of the subject. The included CD is also impressive, with a networking encyclopedia and dictionary included.
This book is not for light...
Published on April 15 2004 by Ron Atkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Authors Know Just Enough To Be Dangerous
With any technical book that has 1435 pages, you have to give the author(s) an "A" for effort. However, my experience has been that whenever I have an XP question, I can get a faster and better answer on the Google Newsgroups.
Published on Sept. 9 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Authors Know Just Enough To Be Dangerous, Sept. 9 2003
By A Customer
I do have a more serious complaint about this book, though. While reading it, I stumbled acrossed a section on installing dual-boot system. The authors detailed all of the advantages, but failed to mention that once you do this you can't get rid of it. The system files wind up on one OS and the boot files wind up on another. Now I just have to live with the situation or reformat and start over. This problem is one of the most discussed XP problems on the newsgroups and was documented well before the book was published.
I would have been much better off if I had never bought the book. My advice: Buy a smaller and cheaper book if you are a beginner and get your info off the newsgroups if you are more advanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Details! Details!, April 15 2004
This book is not for light weights. If you are a home or private user of XP, I would recommend you shop elsewhere. However, if you are an administrator then you need to ask yourself, Why is this book not on my reference shelf? Get your boss to buy it for you.
Compare this book to Mark Minasi's "Mastering Windows XP Professional" (ISBN: 0782141145).

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to Windows XP for advanced users, May 30 2003
There are two versions of this book. The hardcover version has a couple more chapters and also more free e-books on the accompanying CD-ROM. The paperback version is, not surprisingly, cheaper and more portable (but still heavy!).
There's a lot of "meat" in this book, and the two authors did a wonderful job of keeping the book very well organized and very well written. The writing is fluid and you can almost read it like a novel, of course, assuming you are a PC geek like myself. Most other computer books I can hardly follow without sitting in front of the computer, but this book is so clear and well illustrated that I read chapter after cheapter in one sitting even when I did not have my XP laptop with me.
In terms of content, it covers everything an advanced user needs in order to fine-tune Windows XP. Both Profesional and Home editions of the OS are covered. (The hardcover version of the book has a nice summary on the differences at the beginning of *each* chapter.) This is a must-have guide for anyone looking to take full advantage of Windows XP as well as trouble-shooting when things go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best XP Admin book I've ran into so far..., Oct. 27 2003
James Duckett (St. George, Utah) - See all my reviews
I've read a couple of books on Windows XP. This one is great as that any beginner to Windows XP will catch onto its concepts well, but even as an expert I've learned a lot of things from this book.
As an example, I was reading another book and it was telling me about a feature I could use. I thought it was a great feature and went to try it out and it didn't work. Disappointed, I figured that this particular book had just lazily copied the information from Windows 2000 (which it worked fine it). Then I was reading this book and it explained that this particular feature is turned off by default in Windows XP and then explained how to get it turned back on.
That is what I love about this book... it explains in excellent detail the many quirks of Windows XP and how to fix them. I've been looking for a book like this. As an administrator, these quirks can be frustrating and whenever I pick up this book I seem to think, "Oh, man... if I only knew that when I ran into that problem last week."
If you are an administrator, I would highly suggest have this book on your reference shelf. Even better... read this puppy cover to cover. It does cover a lot of the basics, but pay attention to the boxed sections marked "tip" and "caution" and "InsideOut". Even if you only read these parts, you will be a better administrator.
I will be very interested in checking out other materials written by these authors. This is a very excellent technical reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big book with TONS of good information, June 22 2003
Juan Ortuno - See all my reviews
I bought this book looking for a deeper source of Windows XP information. While I am already very familiar with most versions of windows, still there were things that I had questions about in windows 2000 and xp.
While this book covered a lot of basic information that I already knew, it was not all to waste. I was able to get in-depth information on home networking, tcp/ip, file sharing & security, user accounts, shortcuts, file management, tricks & ideas for internet explorer, windows media player, outlook, handling hard disks, and so on. This book is a windows encyclopedia filled with good examples and things you can do with windows that you could not know about.
Since windows xp has a lot of windows 2000, it does serve as an instructional manual for both OSes.
I have already taken care of a lot of things that I learned from this book. I was able to set up my home network & manage user accounts in a different way. File sharing & security chapters were also very helpful.
Check this out. If you think you know everything in windows xp, think again.
Like the title of the book says "xp inside out," here you will most of the answers to your questions.
Warning: This book is very broad and has a lot of information. I do not recommend it for a beginner or any casual home user, as you will only get bored with so much information that, if you do not understand windows very well, you may find irrelevant.
I do, however, recommend it to serious users who want to take a deeper look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power user's guide, June 3 2003
This huge volume is definitely a must-have guide for everyone aspiring to becoming a Windows XP advanced user. Casual users should stay away for now until they become familiar with Windows. Also, strangely, you won't find coverage of Windows Movie Maker in this otherwise complete power user's guide to WinXP.
This "deluxe edition" is hardcover (vs. paperback for the regular, cheaper edition), has two added chapters (one on fax and one on advanced user adminitration), and includes a couple interesting e-books from Microsoft on the CD-ROM, in addition to an e-book version of the book itself.
This book covers both the Pro and Home editions of WinXP -- and each chapter has a handy brief discussion of the differences between the two editions. In fact, I find this feature, together with the two extra free e-books, worth the price premium over the regular edition. Besides, hardcovers are just easier to lay down on a desk and they last longer as well.
In terms of "meaty stuff," this book will satisfy your hunger for advanced knowledge of XP. After reading the book you'll become an XP expert. If you want to become a guru, then get the other "Inside Out" books such as Windows XP Networking Inside Out and Windows XP Security Inside Out (highly recommended). Or you can use this book as a jumping board to acquire some advanced knowledge and then figure out the guru-advanced topics yourself. Either way, this book can help you master Windows XP.
Still not convinced? Pick a copy and read the chapter on system optimization. Clearly written and organized, the chapter gives you everything you need to know about optimizing Windows, including the best explanation of the performance monitor I've come across (as well as concrete steps for taking advantage of this and other tools). Then you'll see how useful this book is.

5.0 out of 5 stars New updates and another winner., Dec 26 2002
Michael J Woznicki "Michael J Woznicki" (Holland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Several months back I reviewed the Windows XP Inside Out book, I was most impressed by the overall amount of information included as well as the detail and documentation of the information, Well things have gotten even better with the release of the Deluxe edition.

With over 1400 pages and new and updated information the book that I was using to support XP clients has been replaced with this book. From the install to the configuration to customizing and faxing, you have everything here you need.

I found additions like working with the admin account, working with older applications, using TweakUI for XP, complete updates on the multimedia and media player and communication over the internet to be very helpful in some of the everyday things I am working on right now.

Once again I think the Windows errors section needs to be expanded and also more information on group and local policies as well. Finally you can use this book for the 70-270 exam study.

With the book comes a cd that has 2 complete e-books and the Service pack 1 for XP and some updates to the media player. Overall this is the book I use and recommend to all my students.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Windows 2000 Expert Companion ..., Nov. 21 2002
Edmund M. Ryan "glynor" (Ellsworth, ME United States) - See all my reviews
Microsoft press did a wonderful job with the Windows 2000 Expert companion, but they seemed to try to combine the "expert" version with the "beginner" version in this book with a disappointing result. I bought this book because I loved the expert companion and thought that since one of the same authors were involved it would be an equally high-quality "advanced" users reference. It is not.
This book would be great for someone who has used Win9x based OSes, and is new to Windows NT-variants, but if you consider yourself an advanced user you will probably only skim through most of the sections of this book (which covers using Windows Media Player, IE, and many other basic tasks). I would point you towards Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows XP Professional instead (by Robert Cowart and Brian Knittel, QUE).
If you are looking for a overview of the new features of Windows XP (Home and Pro) for someone with a background in using older consumer versions of windows (it doesn't go into this is how you point and click), but don't need (or don't care about) the details this would be a good pick. I'll put it this way, I'm giving this to my parents to sit next to the new WinXP box I build for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you don't get in this book, doesn't exist!, Nov. 9 2002
"scmmillard" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is without doubt how best this describes a book that completely blanket covers the components, functionality and performance of perhaps the best operating system the world has yet seen, yes, Microsoft's Windows XP Pro or Home.
7cms or 3" +/- thick, this book delivers a punch of huge proportions supported with your very own copy of the same on CD. As big and as heavy as it is, it's difficult to put down; but when I do tire physically from holding it which is very seldom , I revert to the CD, or rather the books CD that I have copied to my HDD, et voila, instant access to everything included and contained for even quicker referencing.
Microsoft Windows XP INSIDE OUT DELUXE EDITION is a 'must have' over any other XP related book that I have seen and familiarised myself with. I pre-ordered this book and couldn't wait to see how much I'd already applied and know; now I've got it, I'm still at it; finally total control of Windows XP.
Excellently complied, and written in laypeople terms, it almost reveals itself as an encyclopaedia of XP, as you would expect from a Microsoft Press publication.
But for the detail this book provides, there is one thing missing depending on your passion for technology and the depths to which this book extends, not least XP;
The missing link on your PC work top if you want 'Depth' has to be Microsoft WINDOWS XP REGISTRY GUIDE by Jerry Honeycutt and should be considered and used as an excellently thorough accompaniment and companion to Microsoft Windows XP INSIDE OUT DELUXE EDITION. For safe computing, the combination of the two books will give you what Microsoft doesn't of XP as standard, coupled with both being easy reads.
Microsoft WINDOWS XP REGISTRY GUIDE by Jerry Honeycutt will give more than any other Registry book or Registry tweaking utility will ever give you; just for the Hacks alone you'll get your money's worth, but there's far more to it than that; go on, surprise yourself, it really isn't as difficult as you might think; happy safe Hacking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Book, Oct. 3 2002
The greatest strength of the book is it's immediate usefulness to general pc users who are eager to learn Windows XP and not afraid to experiment. I initially had reservations about this new operating system but I quickly got comfortable with it through the excellent instructions in the book. Previously esoteric routines were made clear and accessible to those without much technical background on Windows much less, business-oriented OS. The command line items like controluserpassword2 were really engaging- especially for a novice. Amazing! All the information I seek were easily accessible. The editorial abilities of the authors also show in the highly readable manner the book was written. They had an almost uncanny ability to feel the fear of inexperienced users and anticipate them with quick solutions and clear intructions.
The blurb on the book covers, however, don't do justice to the book's content. It mentions "Intermediate/Advance" without really saying the benefit that beginning users can get from it. Overall, I find the contents of the blurb to be annoying. It sounds too "canned!"
Other than that the contents of the book itself were an excellent guide from the easier to the more challenging features of Windows XP. If the cure for fear of a new operating system is knowledge, then this knowledge has been communicated very well by the editors of the book. As a result I enjoy using Windows XP and I look forward to discovering its myriad of features!

Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out (2nd Edition)
Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out (2nd Edition) by Craig Stinson (Paperback - Oct. 6 2004)
CDN$ 46.99 CDN$ 29.60