5.0 out of 5 stars Good description of Mysql
I found the book to be very good introduction and description of Mysql. I also think the Detailed Command and Data Structure Appendixes are great. Saves my having to open my browser and flip through the manual on-line to figure out how to do something.
Published on Feb. 13 2003 by Michael J. Packard

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you have a DBA to lean on occassionally
I read somewhere online that this book would be a great help to someone with no previous experience of mySQL - I have many years Unix experience and consider myself reasonably quick at picking up new skills yet I think this book was a waste of my money...
Before you can create a database you need to create a database account which aids data security. This was the...
Published on Jan. 20 2002 by Biker2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing at first but a good reference, Feb. 28 2003
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
Although I had experience with MySQL before reading this book, the format was a bit daunting at first. I think that the book has some great arcane tips and tricks and really breaks down MySQL to a level that anyone can understand (given a little prior programming or internet experience). My only complaint is that while the several chapters devoted to C, PHP, and Perl interacting with MySQL was a good idea, I think that those subjects deserve separate texts in their own right and could not be fully covered in only a chapter or two. They do though, provide a good jumping point for anyone looking to use those languages with MySQL. Overall, a solid reference text which could use some work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good description of Mysql, Feb. 13 2003
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
The book was also a good introduction on how to think about setting up a database. Probably would need more experience to do something really involved but it helped me think about setting up and Family address application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MySQL Book, Jan. 13 2003
Royal Tenenbaum "antsarecute" (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
I bought this book some time ago as a php and mysql developer, to learn MySQL better. It is a very good book because the writer is also the programmer (lead programmer - he wrote the most of it) of MySQL. It contains what you'd expect it to contain: Both the theory and the solid code you'll need in many situations. It also explains uses of MySQL with other languages besides PHP and explains the API's pretty well.
It also has a section on managing MySQL on a webserver, how to backup properly, and MySQL security - not only for the programmer but for the system admin managing users and backups. It also contains a function reference appendix which, when properly used, is quite useful.
It is suitable as an intro level book as well, it DOES explain the basics and IS aimed for the beginner with zero knowledge. It will teach you MySQL but you might have to check some spesific tutorials online for spesific code you might want to use in projects - this book is not a cookbook, I don't think they intended it to be either. All in all, this book deserves its 5 stars - and keep handy Kevin Yank's hands-on applied tutorial to apply it to your projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on details about MYSQL, Nov. 25 2002
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
This book have a very understandable language.
Covers all aspects of MySQL and have particular attention on details that are usualy forgothen by authors (how to choose a column datatype, index or not a column, what kind of advantages and advantages for using any of the options).
Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference and self-training, Oct. 29 2002
"sam_dlg" (Frisco, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
This book has gotten me out of many sticky situations. It covers the basics and covers many functions/ideas that the other mysql books didn't. in fact it helped me resolve an issue on a project that I had.
worth the money, the authors get down and dirty but isn't so abstract that only dba's would understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare gem, Oct. 12 2002
Michael McKee "mystic cowboy" (Port Townsend, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
Mr. DuBois it that rare author who is both master of a technical subject and a good writer. This book should be required reading for all computer authors. Explanations are concise but thorough. Material is presented sequentially without undue references to material not yet presented. It is getting a bit dated but is still the definitive treatment of MySQL. Well indexed and through, useful for the expert but still accessible to the novice, it may be one of the best manuals ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, Sept. 12 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
One of the first things I realized when I started reading and working off this book was "I wish I had bought this sooner".
I have written quite a few applications in the past years (mostly in php), but my general understanding of SQL has always been rather weak. One of the reasons I never gave it any thought was "I can make my applications work it out in code, all I need is a simple query" (yes, yes - foolish). What I realized a few chapters into this book was how much I could cut down on my code.
The entire application takes a neater and more efficient shape if you can get to your destination quicker.
I heartly recommend this to anyone starting out, or, knee deep in code. This book is well written, well indexed and has excellent examples. Great Job by the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good reference, Aug. 11 2002
Mike Bowles (San Antonio, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
This is a well structured manual that makes it easy to get up and running quickly and with confidence. It covers probably everything you need to know through at least the intermediate MySQL DBA level. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A billiant, exemplary book., July 5 2002
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
I agree with other rave reviews: this is certainly the best technical book I have encountered, and it is a pleasure both to read through and to use as a reference. DuBois's style is clear and succinct, with a fine wit. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this book is how much DuBois teaches within the confines of a single book -- so much, and so well presented, that the book seems far shorter than its physical thickness would suggest. By way of learning how to use MySQL for practical benefit, the reader also learns standard SQL, fundamental principles of database organization and management, and coding in C, Perl, and PHP, for use both on a local machine and in the Web context, not to mention installation and maintenance on various systems. The key to DuBois's clarity is his presentation of revealing examples at every step of the way, with explanations of each item. The index is also superb and there are richly helpful reference appendices.
(There is one error on p. 250, where DuBois leaves out the first argument to print_error(), the connection handle -- an easy enough mistake and one that I have made far too often since reading the book.)
If there were a prize for excellence in technical books, it should go to Paul DuBois. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best technical book ever written!, July 4 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: MySQL (Paperback)
Out of about 30 technical books of mine, ranging from programming to UNIX/Linux, this book easily comes out on top. I completed a 6 month part time course in database administration using MySQL, and i can honestly say i learned more and had a better understanding of MySQL from reading this book than what i learned during the course. The book is very well written and easy to understand, not boring (which is important), and easily one of the best technical books ever written. It's just too bad the author hasn't written more technical books *hint*.

ARRAY(0xacac266c)

MySQL
MySQL by Paul DuBois (Paperback - Dec 22 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01