4.0 out of 5 stars Go with the Workflow
The Web has become so pervasive that redesigns are now more common than new designs. In fact, nearly all Fortune 500 companies now have Web sites (those that don't shall remain nameless), so redesigns are now the norm. This book is the first to address the Web site redesign process.
The book codifies the workflow work co-author Kelly Goto lectured extensively on at...
Published on Sept. 5 2001 by Andrew B. King

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Web Publishing processes.
A book printed on glazed paper in a non-standard (10 in. x 8 in.) format normally incites me to be more careful before purchasing. A rather serious browsing made the book attractive. After reading from cover to cover, I can say that Web Redesign|Workflow that Works, is a good acquisition.
This book covers in details a Project Life Cycle, called Core Process,...
Published on April 23 2003 by deBeaujeu

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Workflow that Works *Works*, May 7 2003
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
I expected a book to help me with my job as web developer for a non-profit organization that has about 100,000 webpages. We do a major web page redesign once every three years, and the last redesign was a nightmare in its lack of organization. This book was to become my roadmap.
The layout of the book was pleasing. The front cover appealed to the designers in the office and the content appealed to the developer (me). There was a nice overview of the process and definition of terms so that both new and seasoned developers (and others involved) are able to follow.
The companion website, is easy to use. I was able to download the checklists in the book, since the book didn't come with a CD. That's understandable since I'd want the most up-to-date versions of data in the book. I wish, however, that I could converse with other readers to see how they are implementing the process. It's sometimes difficult to apply business-style web books with a non-profit organization.
It's nice to see in print solutions to things that drove me insane not too long ago with the last redesign. I think this method the authors have laid out will greatly lighten the stress level for all involved. And simple things like establishing deadlines and tracking time spent is so key, but easily forgotten till too late. And it's easy to back up suggestions for a process when the authors have given such great explanations and examples.
I also liked that the expert essays about various web topics, including knowing your client before you code, web standards and branding. I've already started implementing some of the tips these guest authors included, with great success.
The production and QA section is amazingly well done. It has example check sheets instead of drowning the reader in dry theory. It's easy to quickly (the key here) adapt these sheets for real world use.
Each phase is laid out with excellent illustrations, checklists and easy to follow project plans. It's so helpful to know where the road is going before getting three miles down it and realize you have to redo it all again.
I prefer normal book size, however, since it's easier to handle and fit on my "Most Used Web Books" shelf. But, at least the binding seems to be sturdy to put up with all my use.
This book has greatly helped me begin to plan our next web redesign.

5.0 out of 5 stars You thought you was a pro till you read this book!, April 25 2003
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
This book wow opened my eyes like never before! This is a must have for people that are either already in the business or getting started! Not really a how to book, but more of a rule book that you should follow for everyday web life.
It's a must!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Web Publishing processes., April 23 2003
deBeaujeu (Kirkland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
This book covers in details a Project Life Cycle, called Core Process, developed and extensively used by the authors in their Web Publishing consultancy business.
The Project Life Cycle contains 5 phases:
1. Defining the Project;
2. Developing Site Structure;
3. Visual Design and Testing;
4. Production and QA;
5. Launch and Beyond.
A separate chapter is dedicated to each phase and provides sufficient information for the reader to obtain a solid understanding of the various processes involved. The reader will also find numerous survey forms and checklists in the book as well as on the companion Web site ....P>This book is not a design manual and, as such, does not cover information architecture, graphics design or production tools like HTML, JavaScript, etc. Also, discussions on the technical infrastructure (hosting, hardware, database, connectivity, security, etc.) normally required to support Web Publishing are considered outside the scope of the book and are not covered. The very important subject of usability testing is covered in a chapter of its own, primarily from a project process point of view. The last chapter is dedicated to various techniques used in analyzing the competition. Rightly so, the book remains focused on project processes.
The suggested Project Life Cycle appears to be using a Waterfall methodology with some fast tracking. No mention is made of the existence of other more recent methodologies such as the Rational Unified Process or those at the origin of the Agile Alliance such as Extreme Programming (XP).
Surprisingly, examples of project schedules are presented in a Microsoft WORD format and no other project management software are covered.

The experience Project Manager familiar with the PMBOK Guide will sometimes be puzzled as no distinction is made between project management processes and product-oriented processes and both can be intermixed and covered in the same paragraph. Once realized, this situation had no further negative impact.
There is no mention or reference to the PMBOK Guide.
This book is best for the experience Project Manager who wants to become familiar with the Web Publishing environment. The novice should first acquire basic knowledge of project management to make good use of this book. The PMBOK Guide is a very good start.
Here are a few suggestions for the second edition of Web Redesign | Workflow that Works:
1. A new chapter on Information Architecture with emphasis on project processes;
2. Summary review of Content Management Systems;
3. Integration with the PMBOK Guide;
4. Discussions on the latest project development methodologies;
Jean C. Ducharme, PMP

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on project management., April 14 2003
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
I bought this book to learn project management and get my design projects on track. I have already used the client and technical surveys with success. This book has definitely professionalized my web design company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a web designer, April 14 2003
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
I run my own web design company and found this book to be a great addition to my collection. I have already used the included client and technical surveys with my clients. This book is for those who want to or need to get a workflow / project plan for your designs. It definitely helped me professionalize my business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a web designer, April 14 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Web Redesign is very solid, Feb. 13 2003
"seasquawks" (Boise, Idaho USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
This book provided an easy methodology for developing a project from day one. Sure there are things that will suprise you along the way if you venture out to consult a company on redesign; this book is not a tell all. However, the information provided in this book helped me to draw up a timeline, develop prototypes, and prepare me for the lumps I received on my first consulting project. Any methodology requires practice, and practicing the methodology in this book is a good start to successful design.
The book is humorous, flavorful, colorful and specific enough. The only thing I didn't like is how if fits in my bookshelf (squaty and wide).

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all web designers and businesses, Jan. 16 2003
"shari1013" (Carpentersville, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
Web Redesign is a must-read for all people who are creating their first web sites or redesigning their current sites.
Too many businesses believe that the web design process is the same as the print design process, and this book makes that difference clear. The companion site also provides downloadable worksheets that any business can use.
Kelly and Emily also had reputable colleagues contribute "Expert Topics" to the book, giving readers a full spectrum of the web design process including usability, competitive analysis, scripting, and style.
Our firm has multiple copies of this book because we kept stealing the first book from one another.
Outstanding book. A must-have for all businesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its Class!, Jan. 6 2003
Shere Chamness "REALART" (Littleton, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
This book helped me write a winning proposal, complete a major web design project, and make money.
Thanks, Kelly and Emily, for your fine work.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Resource, Nov. 24 2002
A. Calder (Burnaby, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works (Paperback)
This is a great book for Web Developers who are looking for useful tools to use with clients during the life of a Web (re)design project. The writing is professional and has real-world experience behind it. I have gone to a number of seminars where Ms. Goto has been a speaker, and she really knows her stuff. Get this book if you are looking for a solid methodology.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works
Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works by Emily Cotler (Paperback - Aug. 14 2001)
CDN$ 67.95