5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book.
Just got this book yesterday and love it already. Mostly discusses different "Types" of websites such as Gothic and Grunge. Great for a desktop reference or for some quick inspiration.
Published on Sept. 27 2002 by Kyle

3.0 out of 5 stars The Box and You
I'm a developer. I program. I make the html that makes the pretty pages. I figured that this book would help me come up with some designs (for those oftentimes rare moments that I'm given a design project). I'd impress the boss and get more design projects. It didn't quite work out that way.
This book made me feel like I was in design class. A basic page and its...
Published on Oct. 7 2003 by Jess

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Box and You, Oct. 7 2003
This review is from: Fresh Styles for Web Designers: Eye Candy from the Underground (Paperback)
This book made me feel like I was in design class. A basic page and its "template" was defined, and then there were more examples that if you squint and shook your head, then you could see it fits that template. I don't think it's so black and white. If so, then they aren't that fresh, are they?
If someone is stuck for design ideas, I'm not sure this book would necessarily help since it's giving more templates. We're trying to move away from looking like everyone else, right? But some ideas for colors did come from this book, so that's good.
I enjoyed the idea of boiling down a lot of web designs into a few basic themes, templates, etc. but think that doing so might make it that much harder to break out of the box and be fresh. Or, if you're like me, once you know the rules, you can break them more easily.
I also liked the little bit of a history lesson that came with this design class. It's quite amazing what some people did with their websites back in the day, and quite amazing how not so far they have come.
Perhaps this book would be better for the true designer and not so much for the developer wanting to be a designer.

4.0 out of 5 stars has its faults, but still rocks, Sept. 27 2003
Sarah Jade (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
I love this book. I am a student in webdesign and I had no idea what to expect when our teacher asked us to buy this book. when I started flipping through it and read a bit about the gothic organic style, I fell in love instantly.
one problem designers often run into (including myelf), is that once we come up with a good style, we tend to use and re-use it a lot. we get too comfortable with it. this book allows you to explore other techniques and break out of your shell.
sure, I wouldn't follow it word for word. some things have always annoyed me, such as cross browser/platform capabilities, window sizes, loading time, functionality and so on. this book doesn't think much of it. but this doesn't mean we can't use elements of the styles described and reflect the general essence of it in our own works.
I challenge you to at least try each style. just make a layout and navigation scheme, with no content. just to get a feel of the style. don't think about browsers, window sizes and whatnot. then place these layouts in your portfolio and see what your potential employers think of it.
it is quite challenging, but the result is amazingly refreshing. this book is a must-have for every webdesigner to break out of their rut.

1.0 out of 5 stars Panned it, Sept. 3 2003
By A Customer
You CAN judge a book by its cover artwork. Yes, the cover art is supposed to make one think of Seattle grunge, but undoubtedly it also will remind you of what that refrigerator must smell like. Nice pictures, nice layout, nice presentation, but pretty much useless if you want realistic ideas that you can use, let alone implement, in the corporate world (and BTW, the corporate world does extend to rockers like the Stones). If you really want to take a look at the book, go down to your nearest Big Box bricks-n-mortar storefront and thumb through it there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh? Nope, a Little Stale Around the Edges., July 15 2003
I bought this book for the same reason many did, inspiration and to get out of the design rut I felt myself in. I was tired of going onto the web design newsgroups and hearing about tables versus css and non-validating pages and usability and browser compatibility.
It was nice to see someone advocating something that might not have been coded "by the book." That thumbed its nose at "fuddy duddy" web design. But this book careened a little too far off the path for my taste.
I was taken aback that anyone could suggest, as this book did, that the designer was being "playful" by hiding navigation elements. This is just bad web design, no matter whether you are designing a web page for a cutting edge alternative rock band or for a law firm.
The section on Sim City smashes any theories of usability all to hell. I was literally raked over the coals in a web design newsgroup for committing the unpardonable Sin of specifying pixel sizes. I'd love to see those same people review the sites featured in this book. Especially any site based on the Sim City design... 8px? Uh, yeah, RIGHT! You sure better know who your audience is before you undertake wild site designs like most of the ones featured here.
And entropy8 -- or more accurately, its new incarnation, entropy8zuper.org ... I'm invoking the rule my mother taught me long ago: If you can't say something nice....
I'm not sure how much this book would help anyone who designs web pages for a living. It's a nice coffee table book, but it's not a book that will sit beside any of my other HTML or web design books. No, they won't have it. And neither will I.
Now, I'm off to e-Bay to see if I can unload this four-day old unrefrigerated fish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas for New Designs, Dec 18 2002
Like most books of this genre, "Fresh Styles" is useful for those in the web design business and less helpful for companies and clients that are ecommerce focused. The designs are incredibly but are heavy on graphics, images, and other elements that are frequently not beneficial to business sites. However, the book does chronicle designs that are really innovative and beautiful to look at. Very artistic and creative styles that will push the world of web design forward which it really needs at this point in time (tiring of the standard 'portal' look that is so popular).

1.0 out of 5 stars This book gave me a "not so fresh" feeling..., Dec 17 2002
As a web designer I look for visual inspiration for fresh ideas. I don't need a bunch of wordy analytical explanations to know what looks nice, so this book was disappointing to me. If you're interested in that stuff, the book may be useful... but if you're like me and just need something to spark the creativity, I would not suggest this book-- there are minimal visual examples. Instead, I would recommend "[...]" by Roger Pring, and "Web Design Basics" by Glenn Fleishman. Both offer pages and pages of great visual examples to inspire you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book., Sept. 27 2002
Kyle "Manager - San Diego Flash Users Group (... (San Diego, US, Canada) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars pseudo-analytic nonsense, Sept. 25 2002
This book is completely useless for a serious web designer. Completely misguided from an aestetics point of view, this book doesn't go further than a pseudo-analysis of design style. Even the "techniques" section is really a couple of "how to copy this" advice, nothing deeper or broader.
The novice won't find anything to grasp the essentials or fundamentals of what design really is (or a particular "style" for that matter), the pro will find this useless. Don't even think about usability of cource.
There is much more to design than this book suggests and certainly freshness doesn't come from copying a style bound to be trivial in a couple of months but from analysing and deepening in what design for web is.
If you come from a design background you are already well equiped so, look for something on usability rather.
If you are a novice avoid this copycat approach to design and look for something on the fundamentals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for web artists, less relevant for others, Aug. 15 2002
By A Customer
I've worked in web site design and development since 1995 and I've seen how people (even those with a lot of computer experience) sometimes struggle to get through web sites and accomplish the tasks they need to do. While this book offers a beautiful layout in the form of colorful screen shots and sidebars, I didn't find much of it very insightful or applicable. In fact, one chapter is devoted to a style the author characterizes as "Punk" due to the focus on subverting visitors ability to navigate a site. The author proposes that one can learn good design principles from the subversiveness of the punk style, but I really didn't find this particularly insightful. Many of the styles highlighted in the book would be difficult to incorporate into sites that you're hoping people will actually use. I can sympathize with the author's frustration with the usability geeks and their metrics on how people traffic sites, but I didn't find many of the styles in this book applicable to "real world" projects. Many URL's cited are already "404" and I disliked the "hacker" approach to coding and developing some of the visual effects. For example, one section of the book details how to write chunky text using HTML tables and cell background colors....Who in the world would do this in a real job, especially given today's section 508 rules?! The intent to inspire through this book is noble and it is a beautiful looking book, but not a resource I would really use given my observations and experience within this field.

5.0 out of 5 stars get this book., Aug. 15 2002
Robert (Wichita, KS USA) - See all my reviews
very well written. the ten styles examined are explained thoroughly, and then the techniques used are discussed, with URL's given for PhotoShop brushes, clip art, etc. also visit [...] for up to date information. I enjoyed reading the book, and now I can't decide which style to use on my site! :-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fresh Styles for Web Designers: Eye Candy from the Underground
Fresh Styles for Web Designers: Eye Candy from the Underground by Curt Cloninger (Paperback - Aug. 22 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01