5.0 out of 5 stars Usable and relevant
Jeffrey Zeldman, godfather (in the non-scary, non-bloodbath sense) of the web design industry, returns to the book-publishing fray with his latest tome, the extremely usable & well-written "Designing with Web Standards".
For quite a long time most web designers have treated standards compliance with the same respect as Microsoft enjoys on Slashdot. They are nagged by...
Published on May 23 2003 by Michael G. Schmidt

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh, just so-so
This is a very good book if:
a) you dont mind starting on page 141
b) you can get past trite attempts at humor such as "Not a Panacea, but Plays One on TV" (page 107) or "Poop in the Soup" (page 134)
The first 140-ish pages involve the author trying to convince you that you need to use standards, where the standards come from, the...
Published on June 3 2004 by hang10web

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, April 15 2004
Brian Stork "Famous Boxer" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
Zeldman is a great writer and the book is a page-turner. He tells you that everything you've been doing is bad, but it's OK because that's just the way things develop. Instead of crying on the past, he helps you get excited about the future. The only thing (and I mean only thing) I wanted but didn't get from the book was: more technical details on CSS. I suppose that's what a pocket-reference is for, though. After opening the doors to the incredible power of the XHTML/CSS design, I was going nuts trying to find out how to tell CSS what I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, April 14 2004
Michael Lugassy (Ra'anana, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
A great "Starter-Kit" for XHTML, CSS, light-weight coding and web standard! However, it's a pitty that Jeffrey decided to waste ink on practically 150 pages on the history of browsers, web standards and why you should use them. Honestly - I bought this book because I KNOW I should use standards, no need to convince me again ;-)
I would gladly trade in those 150 pages for a more in-depth coverage of CSS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but left me feeling slightly had., March 21 2004
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
If you could convince Amazon to rip the first 146 pages out of this book before shipping it, it would save a lot of wasted time, annoyance (as well as the some shipping costs). The author has some great insights but also, unfortunately, the gift of the gab, and he's not afraid of using it.
Although I learned a lot from this book I wish that there had been much less of it. The first 146 pages are rambling, redundant and unecessary throat-clearing excercise in which the author tells you again and again how happy you will be once he gets around to telling you what he's planning on telling you. You can skip this without loss. I would recommend this book to a friend but I'd tell them to start near the top of page 147, right after where it says "So let's delve in, shall we?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Design with Standards and CSS and you will never go back., March 19 2004
Nicholas Web "Nicholas Web" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
I knew I had to update my site, but the thought of trying to create an HTML page using the same old methodology was holding me back. Nested tables to build a fluid structure was just to exasperating to think about. As I started looking at more blog's on the www, and seeing how much more creative and elegant the designs were, I also noticed that the designs were primarily CSS driven. Viewing the source only reveled paragraph and div tags. The structure and presentation had been almost completely separated. This is the deal!
I had been using CSS, but incorrectly. I began going through the W3C Specs for CSS and noticed there were a number of help resources. The source I landed on was Jeff's. Although much of the content revolves around the argument for standards, there are great tips and a beginner project to help understand the basics. But if you go to the author's personal website, there is a wealth of information. Also, the author's personal website is very elegant and the CSS that holds it together is free for all. Another excellent source of information is the author's business website, "A List Apart". Thank you very much Jeff!

5.0 out of 5 stars You've created a monster!, March 12 2004
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
It's a rare experience to come across a book, particularly one on a technical subject, that can't put down. Designing with Web Standards is that good; a wealth of information begging to be read non-stop. I'm now armed with the best tools available -- knowledge & inspiration -- to go back and rework every site I've worked on or administer and comment on every site I use.
While there are technical aspects clearly geared to web designers, site owners, and managers, that's only part of the story. Equally important is how clearly and thoroughly core technologies and fundamentals are addressed making this a valuable resource for end users of web content too! Never again would a user settle for non-standards compliant web sites, nor would they use an obsolete browser! Rather they'd be putting pressure on site owners, designers and browser developers to code to standards - creating a win-win scenario for everyone.
With over 40 book darts marking must have tidbits of information, my copy wore out two new highlighters and has become dog-eared, doodled on, and coffee stained in less than a week! Which is to say New Riders and Jeffrey have hit the right note with Designing with Web Standards.
If you work with, manage, or use the web -- or need to consult with folks who do -- Designing with Web Standards is a must have.
To Jeffrey Zeldman (and the cast of editors) - well done!
You've created a monster - and it is me...
Sincerely
(huc)
Brian Huculak

5.0 out of 5 stars Zeldman Tells It Like It Is, March 9 2004
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
Jeffrey Zeldman presents a thorough, concise, witty and practical treatise on the value of incorporating standards into web design. If you are still marking up web documents with tables, invisible spacer images, bloated browser detection and OS-dependant scripts, this book is guaranteed to change your perspectve. You will be shown a clear path to creating lean, attractive content that is both backwards-compatible and forward-looking.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Web Standards are good for you., March 9 2004
George Calderon (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
This is an amazing read! If you don't know much about web standards, this is the book for you. Zeldman tells why and how designing with web standards will benefit your sites. From browser compatibility to saving bandwidth, it explains it all.
If you're still nesting your tables, pick this book up. It will do wonders for you. I know, it did for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but really handy to have, Feb. 9 2004
Eric Oehler (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
Zeldman gets a bit overzealous in his evangelism - I'm sold on web standards, you don't have to keep preaching to me 200 pages in.
Nonetheless, this book is a great tool for designing a scalable, lightweight, accessable, usable site. Big Z explains how to create a liquid design that you can apply to a whole site, then reformat easily. He shows you how to replace 25k of navigation-bar rollover graphics with a few lines of text. You learn to make sites that work in IE, Netscape, Opera, Safari, etc and degrade gracefully into Lynx and screenreaders. All that stuff is in here. A big thrust is on separating content and structure from presentation and design.
In a lot of cases it's a real bacon-saver. It does occaisonally lack in fully-fleshed out code examples, but if used in concert with Eric Meyer's book on CSS, you've got 98% of what you need to make a standards-compliant next-generation website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a laugh and a start into web standardization., Dec 3 2003
David Gregory (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
Let me first state that this will NOT teach you ALL of the workings of CSS. I thought that it would, but I was wrong. This book is all about accessibility and it is an evangelical book more than anything else.
With that said, I really enjoyed the book. It is a very easy read compared to most computer books. The book teaches you some css and then delves right into the problems that each browser has with CSS / XHTML etc.. and shows workarounds. With this book, I was able to get the index page of my personal site to validate with css and XHTML transitional. This is definately a great starter book, but it will leave you hungry for more. (thankfully, Mr. Zeldman has his suggested readings here and there in the book)
Oh and yes, the first two chapters are all about how browsers of the past don't work and the day of "table hacks, 1 pixel gifs" are numbered. Personally, I found it amazing how easy it was to remove all my table layout and use CSS instead! Only took me an hour!

1.0 out of 5 stars over-hyped, Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: Designing With Web Standards (Paperback)
I admit it. I fell for the hype and bought this book after reading the glowing reviews on amazon but never having even glanced through the book. Big mistake.
Short version - very little content, tons of pretty obvious observations on css design. Nothing you can't find better done on one of the many css news sites/blogs.
Perhaps, the best way to describe this book is perhaps to compare it to Bill Gates writing a book about computers. Yeah, Gates is a big name in computers. Do you want to learn about computers from him? Probably not.
Zeldman seems like a good source to learn CSS from but is a poor teacher. The books spends most of it's time on common sense theory of css-design. Very, very little actual implementation.
The writing style is another issue - from early on the author informs that he'll be referring to himself as "we". Well, "we" are very bad at writing easily flowing text. Combine the lack of content with the very poor writing style and I'm sad to say I regret having spent the money on this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Designing With Web Standards
Designing With Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman (Paperback - May 24 2003)
CDN$ 39.00 CDN$ 24.57