5.0 out of 5 stars Just One Tip or Trick can make the book worth its price
Published on March 10 2004 by Jeffofla

1.0 out of 5 stars Just for beginners
Well I was expecting some really down and dirty tricks but the book is very basic itself. I think you should consider buying the wow book or something else.
Published on Feb. 26 2004 by Iván Gómez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just One Tip or Trick can make the book worth its price, March 10 2004
Jeffofla (Toluca Lake, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
If this book was sold at double it's list price, it would still be worth it. I consider myself an Intermediate Intermediate. Someone who knows and understands a lot of the functions of photoshop, but still is constantly learning new or easier ways to do things. Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks has done this for me and more, and as a result of some of the tricks (namely, the quick elegant background tip on page 268-271 and the Quick Project Shot Background on Page 272-277). These tricks have helped me to work that has saved me a tremendous anount of time and money. Isn't that what it is all about?
Will I use all the tricks? Probably not. But the ones I use will save me a good deal of time. What's great is that I can at least take the ideas and change them to my preferences if I don't like the results that Scott Kelby came up with. But at least he set the foundation! Thanks Scott.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just for beginners, Feb. 26 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun for the beginning Photoshop user, Feb. 7 2004
ueberhund "ueberhund" (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I can get around in Photoshop alright. If I already have a graphic and I need to change the color or make the background transparent, then I am okay. But I've always wondered how people can make some of the really creative stuff that Photoshop can do. I've never been able to figure out how to do some of the effects that you see in virtually every advertisement in the Sunday paper.
This book goes a long way toward showing you how to do a lot of those really cool effects. It's written for someone with a basic understanding of Photoshop, so you won't have to go through the boring details of what Photoshop is. The book is divided up into different sections, with each chapter in a section being dedicated to a particular "project" (e.g. how to create a DVD package). The great thing about each project is that this book contained step-by-step instructions along with lots and lots of screen captures.
Another thing which makes this book really fun to use is that many of the projects involve creating a graphic or logo you see all the time (like the UPN Television logo, a Best Buy advertisement, or an EA Sports game cover). These little added bits of realism help make the book a lot of fun as well as help you see different examples of where you can use your Photoshop skills.
If you're like me-a casual Photoshop user who wants to become a lot better-then this might be a fun book to take a look at. It shows how to make really professional looking graphics, and helps you see that it's really not that far out of your reach!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Two Books in One, Jan. 29 2004
V. Maciulski - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Here is another great book from the legendary Scott Kelby, Editor-in-Chief of Photoshop User Magazine. For those of you who bought his Photoshop 7 Down & Dirty Tricks, this is not a repeat. He says he trashed every technique from the Photoshop 7 version and started from scratch with this one.
I really like the layout of it. It's like two books in one. The pages are white with tan vertical strips almost two inches wide. In the white sections are the step-by-step, how-to instructions, with plenty of images that show the progress of each step. The tan sidebars contain Quick Tips.
I love the one on page 74. It says, "Want some cool metal gradients? You've already got 'em!" Then it goes on to explain how to access them.
There are some really cool lessons, such as the one on popping out of a photo on page 23, Edge Collage technique on page 39, the one on making a filmstrip template on page 192, and the one on how to make a photo cube on page 230. There are multiple lessons on different 3-D effects, lots of cool type effects, and Advertising effects, like fancy product shot backgrounds, adding a window to another place and dividing a photo into puzzle pieces.
This book is fine for beginners, as the first time he has you do a new task, like create a layer, he tells in detail how to do it. But he doesn't tell you how to do it in every lesson, so the more advanced folks won't get bogged down and bored. And the Quick Tips in the sidebars alone are worth the price of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn Photoshop techniques, Jan. 23 2004
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I saw Scott Kelby demonstrate a number of these techniques at MacWorld in San Francisco. They are quick, easy to learn, and create wonderful results.
After his presentation, I immediately went to booth selling books, and bought this. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea book, Jan. 19 2004
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Don't listen to Don from Florida. No book can include fonts - THAT'S ILLEGAL! More importantly, Don has missed the point. Scott Kelby's book is demonstating techniques that can be applied to ANY font, not just the fonts used in the book. I'm not sure how he missed that, but I was able to take the techniques shown in the book and make MY fonts look very cool. If I was only able to use a technique on one specific font, that would make for a pretty lame technique. That's not the way this book works.
The Down & Dirty Tricks book gave me lots of great ideas that I can adapt and make my own. I've only begun to scratch the surface with this book and it's already been well worth the money!
Highly recommended!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great hit the ground running kind of book, Jan. 2 2004
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I like this book because it caters to the kind of person that likes to just pick something up and go without the need of reading through countless chapters just to create a drop shadow for some text. Down & Dirty is a learn by example book which is the method that I seem to gain the greatest amount of progress from.
The techniques used to create the example work can be easily altered and applied to any creations or alterations used in Photoshop, which is what makes it the most useful. Each new version of Photoshop is increasingly more complex than the last so I recommend this book as a companion book for Photoshop, but definately not the only book that should be on your shelf on this subject, else you will miss out on everything else that Photoshop can do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book!, Dec 14 2003
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
So, you have Photoshop -- quite possibly the most incredible piece of image manipulating software ever released. You want to learn some incredible 'magic'. Well, look no further than this book. Scott Kelby is a great writer, making an already killer Photoshop tip book, one that is entertaining to read as well.
The real 'meat' here is the step-by-step guides to help readers quickly reproduce these tricks. Added value comes from the column side bars on each page, chock full of additional (and quite useful) Photoshop tips.
I also have Scott's previous 'Down and Dirty Tricks' book. Rather than rehashing (or revising) these older tricks, Scott has rewritten his book from scratch, filling it with completely new ones. As another reader mentioned, the tricks described in the book can all be completed with Photoshop 7. If you've been looking for a great tutorial book to help jumpstart you into the world of Photoshop, buy this book! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars ! AMAZING MENTOR !, Nov. 21 2003
Angel J. Ortiz "Multimedia Producer" (Temecula, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Scott Kelby, he and his creative director Felix Nelson is the one to listen to as far as learning Photoshop goes.
I went to the L.A. show and Scott was amazing
He puts his heart and soul into teaching this amazing program like no one else.
This book is just incredible, all brand new tutorials on the hottest most popular techniques out there.
I hesitated in learning Photoshop due to its somewhat difficult learning curve. But when I went to a local bookstore and flipped thru PhotoShop User Magazine, I new this program had the right teacher and mentor to show me.
Thank you Scott Kelby and Staff, you guys enrich my creative lifestyle with your knowledge and love for this amazing software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down and dirty and GREAT!!, Dec 24 2003
Lila B (Reston, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Want Photoshop tips? Want LOTS of Photoshop tips? Want Photoshop tips that you'll ACTUALLY USE?
Buy this book!
While written for CS, most everything can be done (as other reviewers state) in Photoshop 7 as well. I have the "Down and Dirty Tricks" for PS 7, and I'm delighted to say that Scott didn't just retread that volume, this is all NEW stuff!
If you want Photoshop help with "how'd they do that?", this book is for you. Scott is friendly, slightly weird (aren't all Photoshop users?), eager to share the steps involved to great effects, faster production and "wow!" in Photoshop.
Great all-round book of tips! Recommended highly (and I've been using PS since version 3).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaadac6b4)

Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks
Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks by Scott Kelby (Paperback - Oct. 12 2003)
CDN$ 46.99 CDN$ 29.60
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available