5.0 out of 5 stars Down and dirty and GREAT!!
Want Photoshop tips? Want LOTS of Photoshop tips? Want Photoshop tips that you'll ACTUALLY USE?
Buy this book!
Published on Dec 24 2003 by Lila B

1.0 out of 5 stars You really read the book and still gave it 5 stars?
After receiving this book, I can't believe what the positive reviewers are saying. It's like they are spouting jacket copy without having actually gone through the book carefully.

Published on March 2 2004 by Virginia P88

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Down and dirty and GREAT!!, Dec 24 2003
Lila B (Reston, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Buy this book!
While written for CS, most everything can be done (as other reviewers state) in Photoshop 7 as well. I have the "Down and Dirty Tricks" for PS 7, and I'm delighted to say that Scott didn't just retread that volume, this is all NEW stuff!
If you want Photoshop help with "how'd they do that?", this book is for you. Scott is friendly, slightly weird (aren't all Photoshop users?), eager to share the steps involved to great effects, faster production and "wow!" in Photoshop.
Great all-round book of tips! Recommended highly (and I've been using PS since version 3).

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new book!, Oct. 22 2003
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I have been of fan of Scott Kelby's work for soemtime. I didn't pick up the last version of this book because severl of the techniques had been previously covered in past editions. This one's entirely new with tons of great ideas.
Scott's passion and enthusiasm for Photoshop make this a highly enjoyable read. the skills covered are sure to please your clients as well. I bought this book the day it came out and I suggest you pick it up fast!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book... but not perfect, March 18 2004
John S. Buchmann (West Chester, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I think most (80-90%) of the effects in this book are worth learning. Some effects, like the "pencil drawing" are downright bad, in my opinion. Doesn't resemble a pencil drawing at all. And this very technique is well documented many times on the web. Just do a Google search and you'll find tutorials on the same bad technique.
The beauty of this book is that almost all the effects are VERY easy to create. Just a few minutes and you're done. The bad part is that there are no effects that will knock your socks off. Nice effects, but none (for me) are WOW!! Then again this is not what the book is about. Any WOW effect probably is very complicated to create without any "dirty" tricks. This book is about creating decent things without much fuss. And it does a good job at doing that.
Each step in each project is very highly detailed... for me, it's too detailed because i already know the program well. For example, instead of simply saying "in a new layer, create an oval w/ the oval marquee tool and fill it with black", he says the same thing in 10x as many words and a few sentences. This is good if you know nothing about PS, but too wordy if you know it already.
Also, most of the tools that he uses, he accesses them with keyboard shortcuts. I personally prefer to use my mouse to click on the palette buttons, or menu items, instead of memorizing keyboard shortcuts. For example, if he fills a selection with black, he first does the keyboard shortcut for making the foreground black and background white. Then he does the shortcut to fill the selection with the foreground color. I prefer to just go to Edit > Fill > black. ... just something to consider before getting this good book.
Oh i forgot to mention that every page (front and back) has a good "tip". Some are obvious, but alot are not. For now i'm just reading the tutorials, but i'll be going back later to read up on all the tips.
Overall, i am happy i bought this book. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars You really read the book and still gave it 5 stars?, March 2 2004
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)

I have to agree with the reviewers who say that these "tricks" aren't anything special. "Closely guarded secrets" my eye. The effects included in this book are tired and cliched, and easy to figure out from PREVIOUS manuals about Photoshop!

What a waste of money. Mr. Kelby certainly is a shrewd businessman, but I've become more and more disenchanted with his books over the years. I also plan to return this, and probably won't buy any others in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, but not for beginners..., Nov. 24 2003
Patrick S. Shuster (Germantown, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
This is now the second book for photoshop by Scott Kelby that I have bought... a lot of great tricks on how to maximize photoshop. However, when I gave the book to a couple of friends who were just beginning, they had a lot of trouble following it. I would not recommend it if you are starting out, but if you are a little experienced in photoshop, I HAVEN'T FOUND A BETTER TIPS BOOK OUT THERE!!!
BTW, I still only use PS 7.0, and have been able to use just about everything in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever, May 9 2005
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
This without a doubt has got to be one of the best, if not THE best PhotoShop CS "how to" book I have read to date. While I trust any book written by Scott Kelby to be top notch, this one surpassed expectations. Mr. Kelby's style makes it very easy for anyone at any level of PhotoShop experience to learn his new "dirty tricks". Not only are the effects he teaches in this book very timely for the graphics world, each lesson contains methods that can be applied in a wide variety of ways, not only in the manner he has applied them. The sidebar tips on every page are alone worth the price of this book. I have great respect for Mr. Kelby's work and like him, encourage PhotoShop users to take what they've learned and mess with it. The screenshots he uses in his book are very clear, the lessons are easy to follow and like many tutorial sites or other books, he doesn't write with the assumption that everyone is an experienced PhotoShop user-he takes the time to explain every step so even the absolute beginner can follow the tutorials in the book. The fact that the reader can also access the book's images online adds to its "user friendly" interface. The resources Mr. Kelby includes at the end of the book are a goldmine for further learning. I would definitely put this book on the list of "PhotoShop must-haves."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that gets right to the action, June 12 2004
Ken Elliott "masterofgoingfaster" (Daytona Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I'm a jack-of-all-trades, master of a few, and simply don't have enough time to learn all my apps in-depth. I usually have a project, and have to dive into an application to the point I can get my work done, then move on. This book has been magic for me. Example - I learned how to create chrome text, so it was easy to create other chrome objects for our company web site. Same with other metal effects. Our site looks fantastic! It let me get on with my project, even though I didn't completely understand why some of the effects did what they did. But, then I put some effort in those areas, and nailed it.
Everyone thinks I'm a Photoshop guru (I'm not). But it fast-forwarded me to the point I could get my projects done. Some day I'll read one of those 1200 page monsters - right after I master Flash, Visual Studio, C#, Python, SQL Server, Illustrator and InDesign. That's after I finish installing our new Linux server and write our new MRP package.
It's NOT a tutorial - it's a cookbook. Rather than teaching you everything Photoshop can do, you flip through the book and find something that "WOWs" you. Follow the steps and it's on your screen. Cool. Very very cool.
If you are busy and need something that helps you get your work done, get this. It jumpstarted me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PS "Cookbook", Great for beginners, April 7 2004
J. Jensen (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Adobe is used to having a lot of books written on its products. They tend to be the most complex of any program on the market, but it is because they are so powerful. If you have got the Photoshop bug and can't make pretty changes to your pictures or projects, this is a good book to start with!!!
Yes it will not teach you a lot of the "Why???" of Photoshop, that can take some years to learn anyway. A lot of Photoshop books come it two groups, those that know Photoshop and those who don't. Most of those that are for the expert expect you to know your Gaussian Blur from your Unsharp Mask and what kind of effect it will have on your picture. Photoshop "cookbooks" as some have called them teach by example, this author's "recipe's" are easy to follow and will give hints in the margins to learn more indepth or customize. Again you might be mimicing the author, but sometimes that is all you need to feel good about your investment in Photoshop. This book was a complete rewrite from the Photoshop 7 book, I own both because both have a lot to offer that was different enough to almost consider them volumes 1 & 2. Also if you are just needing digital photographry help, I would check out Scott Kelby's books on just digital photographry.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun for the beginning Photoshop user, Feb. 7 2004
ueberhund "ueberhund" (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
I can get around in Photoshop alright. If I already have a graphic and I need to change the color or make the background transparent, then I am okay. But I've always wondered how people can make some of the really creative stuff that Photoshop can do. I've never been able to figure out how to do some of the effects that you see in virtually every advertisement in the Sunday paper.
This book goes a long way toward showing you how to do a lot of those really cool effects. It's written for someone with a basic understanding of Photoshop, so you won't have to go through the boring details of what Photoshop is. The book is divided up into different sections, with each chapter in a section being dedicated to a particular "project" (e.g. how to create a DVD package). The great thing about each project is that this book contained step-by-step instructions along with lots and lots of screen captures.
Another thing which makes this book really fun to use is that many of the projects involve creating a graphic or logo you see all the time (like the UPN Television logo, a Best Buy advertisement, or an EA Sports game cover). These little added bits of realism help make the book a lot of fun as well as help you see different examples of where you can use your Photoshop skills.
If you're like me-a casual Photoshop user who wants to become a lot better-then this might be a fun book to take a look at. It shows how to make really professional looking graphics, and helps you see that it's really not that far out of your reach!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Two Books in One, Jan. 29 2004
V. Maciulski - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Here is another great book from the legendary Scott Kelby, Editor-in-Chief of Photoshop User Magazine. For those of you who bought his Photoshop 7 Down & Dirty Tricks, this is not a repeat. He says he trashed every technique from the Photoshop 7 version and started from scratch with this one.
I really like the layout of it. It's like two books in one. The pages are white with tan vertical strips almost two inches wide. In the white sections are the step-by-step, how-to instructions, with plenty of images that show the progress of each step. The tan sidebars contain Quick Tips.
I love the one on page 74. It says, "Want some cool metal gradients? You've already got 'em!" Then it goes on to explain how to access them.
There are some really cool lessons, such as the one on popping out of a photo on page 23, Edge Collage technique on page 39, the one on making a filmstrip template on page 192, and the one on how to make a photo cube on page 230. There are multiple lessons on different 3-D effects, lots of cool type effects, and Advertising effects, like fancy product shot backgrounds, adding a window to another place and dividing a photo into puzzle pieces.
This book is fine for beginners, as the first time he has you do a new task, like create a layer, he tells in detail how to do it. But he doesn't tell you how to do it in every lesson, so the more advanced folks won't get bogged down and bored. And the Quick Tips in the sidebars alone are worth the price of the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks
Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks by Scott Kelby (Paperback - Oct. 12 2003)
CDN$ 46.99 CDN$ 29.60