5.0 out of 5 stars The only running book you need
Published on Jan. 5 2008 by Road Runner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good principles but difficult to implement for me
I'm a 52 years old recreational runner who runs some 1/2 marathons and occasional 10K races. My times have deterioreted a lot since 1987 so I get the book to learn more.
The training is based on vDOT and you need a track or a measured path to know exactly what time you need to run it.
How about to run 400m repetitions 6 sek faster then VO2Max pace ? Or LT-runs...
Published on July 23 2001 by Josef Makower

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The only running book you need, Jan. 5 2008
I have a lot of books on running, but if I needed only one, it would be this one. Quite simple to understand (no real formulas), tables that explain where you are in term of your current running ability, which paces to use, how to make a training plan... everything is inside. You can use one of four predefined training plans or make your own by using Dr Daniels' instructions (how many quality workouts, which one in each phase of your preparation, their duration and pace).
Every runner knows the terms like Repetitions, Intervals, Marathon, Easy (or recovery) pace, but nobody knows what it is and how fast it is.
For the first time I found in this book which time corresponds to each one of these paces (according to my current fitness).
Even if you are not too interested to know all the physiological details on running, stress and recovery, it is worth of trying to understand the benefits of each pace.
So, once again, if I had to keep only one book on running I own - this would be The One.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running book for the scientifically minded!, Feb. 9 2004
GC Fourie (South Africa) - See all my reviews
My running library contains more than 20 books and I rate this one the best. It offers a truly scientific way of training. Each and every point is thoroughly explained. A book like this is an absolute delight for the thinking runner who not only wants to know what to do, but also why. The book is very practical too, as the instructions are distilled into just a few tables - all easy to use. You will learn Daniels' proven methods to improve endurance, lactate threshold, VO2Max and mechanical running speed. The real beauty of this book is that it can be used by elite runners and slow beginners alike; the tables accommodate all runners and tell us exactly what to do based on our recent race times. If I could choose only two books on running, it would be this one and The Lore of Running by Dr Tim Noakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Go To Book for Distance Training, June 4 2012
This review is from: Daniels' Running Formula-2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book has been a great tool for my training. After reading the book I realized that a lot of my previous training was done too fast, especially my "easy" runs. I was injured regularly. Now that I have been training at proper intensities(after reading the book), I find running more enjoyable and I'm staying injury free. The book can be a little technical, but I feel it is required to fully justify Daniel's approaches to training. This is definitely the kind of book you will keep nearby during your training as you will want to reread certain parts depending on where you are in your training. I am extremely happy with this book, and have no reservations recommending this book to beginners, mid-packers and elite runners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take your running to the next level, Oct. 15 2013
I'm writing this review a couple of days after managing to qualify for the Boston Marathon with a sub 3:15 personal best thanks to this fantastic book. Not only do the plans in Jack Daniel's book actually work, he manages to explain clearly the sports science behind why you need to do particular types of runs and precisely what pace you should be aiming for with each workout.

What I particularly like about the book though is that the plans are flexible enough to fit most peoples actual lives. Two 'quality' workouts a week (including the weekend long run) and the rest of the miles run at an easy pace whenever you want during the week.

I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone who feels that they've stagnated with their running and wants to see what they are truly capable of with a little bit of effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for runners, Oct. 19 2012
Alain Roy (Montréal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daniels' Running Formula-2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book is well balanced, not too technical, not too scientific and give a lot of good tools for runners.

This book is talking more about competition BUT, the author took care of us, regular runners who just want to improve!

Cheap price, excellent information, it's a classic most bang for the bucks book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for runners!, May 19 2012
This review is from: Daniels' Running Formula-2nd Edition (Paperback)
After reading the long and boring "Lore of running" by Timothy Noakes, I realized that even though I learned a lot I really didn't know where to go training wise. That's where Jack Daniel's book help you most, it shows you precisely the proper training for any level you are for any distance and it explains in details the intensities you should use. It's quite a simple book but, it's an effective one for increasing your performance!

4.0 out of 5 stars good, Sept. 16 2002
Andy D. Waltz (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This is a good book for the uneducated runner who wants to get better. Don't get this unless you are serious though. Anyway, it was put together really well becuase everything is simple, and it all makes sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible on Running, Sept. 28 2004
L. Behan (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book will simply improve your race times. It is well written and clear, yet with enough leeway in it's presentation as to be suitable for all runners. If you buy one book on running, this one is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plan and run with a purpose., June 16 2004
By A Customer
Coach Daniels presents a clear guide to training with stated reasons for each type of run that I have not seen else where. He definately has a good track record as a coach. He allows the reader to prepare running schedules with a definate purpose for each week and each run. Not as simplistic as most books on running. Highly recommended among running books.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better Books on Running, March 25 2004
It is amazing how many bad books on running are out there. This book is one of the better ones I have read. It defines various types of training speeds and their purposes. They are E(easy), T(Tempo), I(Interval) and R(Repetition). It goes on to tell you exactly how fast and how long to train at your current fitness level. The premise behind this is that you should try to get the most for your training, and you can do this by training at the correct intensity and duration. This is useful for training efficiently and preventing overtraining. Even casual runners like myself can benefit from this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc1697fa8)

Daniels' Running Formula-2nd Edition
Daniels' Running Formula-2nd Edition by Jack Daniels (Paperback - Nov. 3 2004)
CDN$ 25.95 CDN$ 16.35