5.0 out of 5 stars A serious well-rounded resource for optimal sports nutrition, Jan. 5 2010
This review is from: Vegetarian Sports Nutrition (Paperback)
I am working out in the gym, burning fat and building muscle, and trying to follow the bodybuilders diet to aid this process. It typically requires one to consume 50% of calories from carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein. Meeting such high protein requirement on vegetarian whole foods is practically impossible - nearly all vegetarian sources of protein also contain carbs and fiber.

...No, usually I am not obsessed with "getting more protein", I just want to follow a successful fat loss program while staying a vegetarian. In fact, I achieved my best results to date on vegetarian 12-15% protein diet.

I have purchased this book to find out sport science's recommendations for the athletes. The book also advertised eating plans on the cover. What made me choose this book is that the author is a Ph.D and RD, and a vegetarian athlete herself. And I am glad I chose it!

This book is one of the most fascinating books on nutrition I have read during past 5 years ( and I have read dozens of them ).
- It is multifaceted and highly customizable; it explains how to find out your personal dietary and calorie requirements
- It troubleshoots most common problems that athletes face ( fatique, muscle crumps etc) and provides concise lists of top-10 or top-20 foods that address those problems along with timing and composition of meals
- It provides lists of top foods for most important vitamins, minerals and their combinations and RDA for them
- It is suitable for those who don't use milk
- It provides the best practical advice on creating your own meal plans. It includes not only what to eat, but how to select foods and how to optimize your cooking time.

Undoubtedly, the book to buy if you want smart results on the vegetarian diet.
... And yes, I found an answer to my protein question!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sport Nutrition Bible, June 29 2009
D. Graham (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vegetarian Sports Nutrition (Paperback)
I've read quite a few books on Sport Nutrition but none as easily read or as detailed as Vegetarian Sport Nutrition. I've been through it 3 times already and it's one book I will always have close at hand . This is a must have if your serious about improving your sports performance whether your a vegan, vegetarian , part time vegetarian that eats meat once in a while or even a meat eater . I've experienced the benefits right away both on the Squash court and in Soccer . I am faster , feel more energy and can play harder now that I have the right balance of food pre-game and post game . As well my overall caloric intake had to be increased based on my energy expenditure . I never thought I could do it , but she describes the method and it is not that hard . I feel young again , competing against 23-27 year olds at the age of 40 . Thanks for writing the book

D.G in Canada

Vegetarian Sports Nutrition
Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by D. Enette Larson-Meyer (Paperback - Nov. 1 2006)
CDN$ 23.95 CDN$ 17.29