4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the first time triathlete

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the first time triathlete, Dec 6 1999
P. O. De Boer "Catherine" (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
This book helps beginers understand what triathlon is about and is a perfect intro to training for a sprint distance event. First timers will probably need more specific books if they want to train for olympic distance triathlons and sharpen their technical skills (especially for swimming where I would recommend Total Immersion: the revolutionary way to swim better, faster, and easier by T.Laughlin and J.Delves). This book made me love triathlon! I recommend it to anybody who wants to start in multisports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start, May 21 2003
Charles Steck "Charlie Steck" (Concord, Ga USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
Very helpful. I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject (being a newcomer) and this book contains the essentials to getting started. I'm looking forward to my first Tri in a couple monthes. I bought the "Triathlete's Training Bible" first because I am comfortable with technical information. But, much of it I am not ready for being I'm still building a strong base. (It also is a good book).
Triathlon 101 will help me the most NOW. After a year, I'll be studying Friel's book again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, May 4 2004
Thom Barclay "hieslanman" (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
I've been running and biking for years, but I wasn't sure I was up to a tri. This book gave me just what I needed to get started. I even picked up some useful tips on biking, which is genereally my strong suit. This is a book I'll go back to again and again. I highly recommend it for the beginning triathlete.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Basic Information - But Very Basic, April 24 2000
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
The book does a very good job of providing the common sense information about a triathlon. It's a great motivational tool if you've never been involved in any endurance events. It also does a great job of encouragement for the middle and back of the pack athletes, especially since the author himself is a mere mortal like most of us and not a professional traithlete. However, a large portion of the book is dedicated to carbo loading, power gels, etc and if you are already a runner, cyclist, or swimmer this information is redundant. Also, I felt the training schedules were a little vague and too basic for someone already in good shape. This book is a great one to own, but it probably isn't enough to own only this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its title, Feb. 11 2004
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
As the title suggests, this is a great book for getting a comprehensive review of what it takes to run your first triathlon. If you are looking for one book that will cover all three areas of training and describe what it is really like to compete in a triathlon, this is it.
Although the author is an experienced triathlete, he avoids the tendency to digress too much into personal reflections, which many of the biography-style guides to triathlon do. The practical advice about equipment is very helpful and not tied to specific products. I found the section that talked about "the frugal triathlete" to be very refreshing.
The information on workouts is definitely enough to get anyone started, no matter what your background. I'm a swimmer who has never run before, and I am so pleased to be able to follow the "initiation" workouts for non-runners. The blank templates for workout schedules are also very handy.
This is a perfect book to get started with and is likely to remain relevant for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Nov. 2 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
This book was easy to understand and enjoyable to read. It was kept light and entertaining for a beginner like myself. It helped me to prepare for my first triathlon. A good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the Title, May 21 2003
R. Folger "rjfolger" (W. Bridgewater, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
This book is just as it says, for the beginner. If you've already competed in a few triathlons, buy another book, you'll be disappointed here. The book does provide great information for the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written guide for the novice, Feb. 2 2003
J. Vess "julieannv" (Simpsonville, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
I am interested in doing triathlons at some point, and so far have only competed in races as a runner, and am a fair swimmer. I found that this book is extremely encouraging for the person who is considering giving it a 'tri'. The author gives information that is basic, but doesn't "talk down" to the reader, even though he is an experienced triathlete. He also acknowledges the potential expense of getting involved in this sport, and tries to give realistic advice on where money can be saved for the beginner.
This is a perfect book for someone who wants to investigate triathlons. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Place to Start!, Nov. 20 2002
Greg Shipp (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
This guide opened my eyes to the idiocyncracies of the triathlon world. It answered all my questions - what would it be like? How to prepare on event day? Do I really need this equipment? It is perfect for those who have already decided to do the event - this will not motivate you to train, it will just answer many of the questions that remain. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginner's Bible, Aug. 30 2002
john morey (milton, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathlon 101 (Paperback)
While there are many valuable resources on-line for the beginning triathlete, I found this book to be a comprehensive summary of all the important things I needed to know to start and progress in the sport - swim, bike, run, nutrition, etc. I read it once and found myself referring to it continuously. Also, the tone and content helped to remove the anxiety of starting in the sport. I recommend it strongly!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb6976aa4)

Triathlon 101-2nd Edition
Triathlon 101-2nd Edition by John Mora (Paperback - March 26 2009)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 15.85