5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and helpful work
Published on April 25 2004 by bookscdsdvdsandcoolstuff

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally disappointed
Though I love her other two books, this one is a disappointment. A very bad example of communication between husband and wife at the beginning and more 'insults' to loving and caring husband to follow. I bought this book for my husband but I don't think I will have him read it.
Published on Oct. 11 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and helpful work, April 25 2004
I am so impressed with this author. A friend of mine some time ago gave my wife and I "The Power of a Praying Wife" and "The Power of a Praying Husband." When I first read the book I couldn't get through it. As a Catholic Christian I thought that spending a chapter on submission was ridiculous, outdated, and downright fundamentalist. I nearly threw the book away, but instead shoved it into my bookshelf, assuming it to be yet another book by an undereducated fundamentalist someone decided to burden me with.
However, my wife and I were arguing about something about six months later, and I thought to myself "stop yelling and get quiet... I can't hear God when I'm loud." I apologized and went to my study, and there on the book shelf was "The Power of a Praying Husband." Aright I thought, prayer is ALWAYS the best answer, lets pray,
I began doing a chapter a day. I say "doing" because at the end of each chapter there are prayers, and I prayed them seriously. I also began "doing." I realize many readers of this review will probably think I am going to hell for this, but I believe that faith without works is dead, so I began acting on the implications of what is in the book. I took control of our finances so my wife wouldn't have to worry about paying the bills. She has so much to do already. I started picking up around the house to help her. I started to do so much MORE than I used to. I realized something through the process. I was not an enlightened person in a modern marriage. I was lazy! I began to feel better about myself and more empowered, especially in that I was in charge of the finances and paying the bills etc. My wife became less burdened and much more happy. Our sex life improved and I received a greater sense of purpose in my manhood. Our lives have become happier.
This is not an academic book. I spend most of my reading time on serious theology, scripture, and on the history of the early church. I had to get "un-snoby" and read with the simple eyes of a man seeking to be a better and Christian husband. Praise God I did. This book was literally life changing. My wife and I keep our copies of our respective editions by the bed. Really folks, BOTH you and your spouse need to read BOTH editions before judging whether or not this author has an appropriate and Christian agenda. We reread and redo the chapters pretty regularly and our marriage is more rewarding than ever before. I recommend this book wholeheartedly. If found that when I let go of my arrogance and prayed with the book, my life improved.
Thanks stormie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Want a "WOW! marriage?, Feb. 19 2004
Brad Cotton (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Gentlemen, how would you like to have a great marriage? I not talking about a good marriage or an ok marriage…I’m talking about a marriage of the kind that makes you take a big step back and say…”Wow!”?
You can have that kind of relationship with your wife. As husbands, we have a biblical responsibility to our wives and families to pray for them. Now I can say that I prayed for my wife and family on a more or less regular basis, as time and memory allowed. I hate to say it, but that doesn’t cut it. That sort of conviction doesn’t extend the full benefit of prayer to your family and in particular to your wife.
In fact, I didn’t realize how infrequently I prayed until I picked up The Power of a Praying Husband, by Stormie Omartian and began to pray the prayers inside.
I noticed that many things started to happen within our relationship almost immediately. We disagreed less, we communicated better, her relationship with the kids and extended family improved. I also noticed almost immediately when I missed a day praying.
The book is laid out in 20 relatively short chapters. Each chapter has a theme and lead in by Stormie. What follows is a short section entitled “He Says” in which the men, most of them popular ministers and artists detail the effect of prayer in their relationships. After that comes the prayer itself and some scriptural references. Topics that are covered include praying for your wife’s: relationships, motherhood, emotions, moods, beauty, trust, protection, and sexuality.
Some have argued that the book is more of a “how to treat your wife” book than how to pray for her. Others have argued that the book is a joke and too campy with it’s use of humour and light heartedness. I have to say that I disagree with both statements. Through the use of humour, and male related stories, the author is able to effectively reach the generally difficult male audience.
I have a great burden for us as men and the apparent loss of our place in society. The role models presented by popular culture are not role models at all, but parodies and jokes of what real men should be. Yes, this book is more basic and light hearted, it is supposed to be to reach a general audience. No, it doesn't tell you what to pray, it provides the framework, the rest is your responsibility to figure out through discussion with your wife. What this book does do and do very well, is provide a firm foundation for most men, most of whom are very busy and occupied with many things in their lives.
I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the long-term marriage., May 28 2002
By A Customer
"The power of a praying wife" challenged me to be a better wife by examining my own heart and attitude twords not only my husband but my attitude twords marriage as well. I can not fathom how the critics of these books can say that these books blame the man and ask her to pray that HE changes. Specifically Stormie Omartian writes in 'Power of a praying Wife', "Make me a new person, Lord. Give me a fresh perspective, a positive outlook, and a renewed relationship with the man You've given me. Help me see him with new eyes, new appreciation, new love, new compassion, and new acceptance. Give my husband a new wife, and let it be me."
The challenge to renew my twelve year marriage to my husband has been possible by God and helped by this book written by a woman who has gone the distance and been met by the many trappings, challenges and temptations that our culture throws at a marriage relationship. You would have to have been in your marriage for a many number of years to even begin to appreciate and value the authors insight and help through these books. By her own admission she writes how it took years for her perspective of marriage to change, with great help by the Holy Spirit. These books are simply to convey that help she received.
There for I would say to the man due to marry soon and looking for help in his marriage; you read it too soon. Put it away for a number of years. When you feel things slipping away or you've met the challenges of our pop society culture, blah, blah, blah...coming against your marriage then you will see it with a different heart and different eyes.
My husband and I both are commited to go the distance in our marriage. We've been challenged by the enemy of our soul to quit, walk, leave, cheat, lie, dishonor, disrespect and a number of other things that ALL christian couples endure if you're fighting for your marriage. These books are a great encouragement from a woman/husband who understands those battles and assaults that come against a Christian marriage and yet inspite have them have set themselves to come out the victors.
I highly recommend these books for the long term marriages. Newly or soon to be married couples are still in LA-LA land and reality is aways off for you. Maybe later. Meanwhile check out Dr. James Dobson. Great books for pre-marriage and early stages of marriage.
My four star rating is because it is not spelt out to the reader that long-term marriages benefit the most from these books. Or atleast not until you're ready to be honest with yourself and God . Our culture may make man out to be a pansy these days but it also makes marriage a great big fantasy that isn't so. If you want a heavy dose of reality and your looking for a tool to help you go the distance I recommend 'Power of a Praying Husband', 'Power of a Praying Wife' and a mirror.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great prayer tool!, Jan. 5 2002
Michael Freeman (Blanchard, OK) - See all my reviews
My wife has been reading and re-reading "The Power of a Praying Wife" for some time now. For Christmas, she got me "The Power of a Praying Husband."
This is a simple-to-read, yet very practical book. It covers twenty different areas in which women need their husbands' prayers, including such areas as her spirit, emotions, motherhood, relationships, sexuality, trust, fears, and her desires. A separate (but brief) chapter is devoted to each topic.
At the end of each chapter, there are seven specific items related to that area about which a husband can pray. Following that is a brief testimony from a husband who implemented prayers in that area, and then a "sample" prayer. Each chapter closes with several Scripture verses related to the topic.
I am incorporating these twenty areas into my daily prayers for my wife. I'd recommend this book for anyone who wants to enrich their prayer life and improve their relationship with their wife!

5.0 out of 5 stars to the person who thought it was a terrible book!!, April 15 2002
Amazon Customer (CLEVELAND, OH. USA) - See all my reviews
i read your review and it is obvious you did not read the book,
the power of a praying wife is a wonderful book and she does not bash husbands at all, (this is how i know you did not read it).
she makes you take a look at yourself, she makes you correct yourself (women) and the workbook along with the book makes you grow even the more, you do so much praying in each chapter you can not help but to come out blessed, how could you even make such a dum statement, unless you do not like praying, if this is true then maybe this is not the book for you. but for anyone that loves God, the book is a true blessing. i picked up the power of a praying husband and i really enjoyed what i have read so far, if this book is anything like the power of a praying wife, then it too is remarkable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good and Convicting Book on a Man's Prayer Life, April 22 2004
My wife suckered me into reading this book just before we got married. But, I'm so glad it was on my so-called, "Required Reading" List. It has really changed the way I approach my prayer, specifically for my wife.
I can't say that I've suddenly become a prayer warrior, because I haven't. But, one thing that has struck me is that when I pray, I tend to love and value my wife so much more. The big thing from this book that struck me was that God won't answer any of my prayers if I'm not loving my wife the way I'm supposed to.
I would encourage husbands or future husbands or potential husbands to read this book. It's short, easy to read, and it will help you on the journey to becoming a solid man of God.
And men, we need all the help we can get!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone in a Christ-centered relationship, March 22 2002
By A Customer
About 5 months ago I got engaged to a great women of Christ. I wanted to help her and support her in everything she did in life. I found this book to help me so I can help her. The author really touches on all parts of a womens life. She also gives insight on how women act during times of stress and other good and bad times. This book teaches how men can support women in there walk with the Lord and how to pray for and with your wife and girlfriend. To me it is a must have if you are in a relationship and love the person you are with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift to all husbands out there :-), Oct. 2 2001
When I saw this book in the bookstore, I immediately got curious. Obviously it is not for me but I thought all husbands should have one. I immediately bought a copy each for my husband, brothers,& brothers-in-law.
Since I intend to give these copies for Christmas, I have to keep in a safe place where my husband will not accidentally see. I manage to read it once in a while in his absence & as a wife, I think I will benefit from this if he reads it.
The question though is if he really will.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of a Praying Wife, Sept. 8 2003
By A Customer
I started reading this book hoping to find a way to change my husband! Wow, did the Lord do a work in me! I learned to change myself, my expectations, and the thoughts I had developed over the years towards my husband. It was like having very poor vision and finally getting the right glasses. My husband is now reading Stormie's Power of a Praying Husband and he loves it. I think any Christian who is understanding of how God wants to work in our lives will benefit from this teaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wedding or Christmas Gift, Sept. 14 2001
By A Customer
I found this little book place by my bed. It looked so much like the "Power of the Praying Wife"...it just couldn't be for me. When I opened my wife had a note."I love you if you read it."It was great..As a newlywed it had a lot of points that I knew about but had been praying about..it was like having confirmation.The best wedding or Christmas gift one could give to a new couple or couple who value their relationship. Great book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Power Of A Praying Husband
The Power Of A Praying Husband by Stormie Omartian (Paperback - Jan. 1 2007)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 13.59
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available