5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!
I love this book! I had been anxiously waiting for Mrs. Wick's newest book to come out. Immediatly when I got in my car I started reading it, and I couldn't put it down! I read it again every 2-3 months, and each time it is just as fascinating. I highly recommend this book.
Published on March 7 2003 by Meredith

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her Best
Published on Feb. 11 2003 by Monica

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summertime read!, Dec 11 2007
Sarah Rogge "hypercutiepie" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
I read "Bamboo and Lace" last summer, and thought it was a really great book. I enjoyed the change from most Lori Wick books, which tend to take place far in the past, around the early 1900's. It's quite an enjoyable read, and although it was a tad idealistic, it was still a pleasure to read. If I find more Wick novels similar to this one, I will read them for sure.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring and too predictable., Sept. 10 2003
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
I picked this book up in the library and read the back. I thought it would be an interesting plot. But it wasn't. I was disappointed at how slow the plot went. Ms.Wick made Lily's character too naive and too nice. The other characters (Bailey, Evan, Ashton, and Gabe) were all too goody goody. I also disliked Ms.Wick's writing style. It's way too confusing. (I don't know who's thinking what.) I did like how she contrasted the two cultures but it did not tell why Lily's father treated her the way he did. I did like how she finally stood up to her father at the end when he couldn't accept that she was in love with Gabe. Then the book really loses the steam it had after Gabe and Lily got married. But I did understand that Ms.Wick wanted to tell her readers how they do adoptions in Kashien. So I'm giving this book 2 stars because it had potential and there were some good parts in it. But all in all, it needs some tweaking.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but..., July 28 2003
Elizabeth Summers (Gilbert, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
Bamboo and Lace was a good book, however, I (at times) found it boring and felt that the summary on the back of the book seemed more exciting than the actual book! The second time I read this I found more depth and I appriciated the story more. But I still disliked that Lily was in some ways, naive, immature? I understand that Wick is trying to make Lily seem sheltered, but sometimes it just makes her look stupid. This is definately a novel for more mature readers, not people looking for an adventure entertwined with romance. This is a good read, just be ready for a fairly predicatable plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book!, April 14 2003
Vicki Williamson (Monroe, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and I enjoy the fact that Mrs. Wick is able to transport me into what most call a 1 dimensional world. I enjoy reading about her characters. I know there are a lot of reviews that really dislike how "perfect" her characters are, but I do truly enjoy reading about people like that. That is why it is called "Fiction".
However, I did completely disagree with her stance on anger. Anger is a natural human emotion and when used appropriately it is not a sin. It is not the emotion that is the sin but what we do with it. Remember in the Bible when Jesus became angry when he entered the Temple only to find a market set up? He turned tables and the like. And we all know that Jesus was sinless.
Like I said I did like the book overall. I thought it was a pretty good and relaxing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, March 7 2003
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
As for it being unrealistic, try going to another country and see if you aren't just as overwhelmed by their culture. Seems very realistic to me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her Best, Feb. 11 2003
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
Well, I'd really been expecting more when I bought this book as it was a single novel like Sophie's Heart, which I loved. But this book was really lacking a lot of the "stuff" that makes a story enchanting. It is well-written, yet I think the plot could use some more work. It was rather long, and I felt the characters were somewhat undeveloped. Most of the story revolved around everyday life, and when there were interesting events, I think they could have been developed to a greater extent.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read it - love it - that's why i'm buying my own copy!, Nov. 21 2002
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
This is by far one of the best books I have ever read. Lily is a wonderful character. She is an American 24 year old woman who was raised her entire life in Kashien. Her father raised her strictly as a Kashienese woman after her mother past away. Her brother Jeff who had moved to the Hawaiian islands finally convinced his father to allow her to visit the states for her very first time. Lily and all those around her battle with culture shock, spiritual battles, and realizing God's will for their lives. This is a story that may seem it would never come true. But that is why it is called a story. Lori Wick is an excellent writer who tells stories in a way that we can look at the characters as roll models of how a Christian should live, think, pray, and love. You will fall in love with the characters and when you're done reading it you'll want to read it again - I did!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it every time I read it, Nov. 20 2002
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
It amazes me that someone out there actually didn't enjoy this book. This was a fantastic read. I bought this book less than a year ago, and I've read it at least 9 times since then. Bamboo and Lace was more than a novel to me. To me, this book was a goal. By that I mean that the characters are so real and tangible, and the way they lived just inspired me to grow and become more like them in certain ways. I learned so much from this book. I've recommended it to at least a dozen friends and family. Everyone that I know that has read it has said the same thing--they loved it and couldn't put it down--even friends of mine that hate to read were so in love with this book that it made them pick up more of Lori Wick's books. Bamboo & Lace is packed with truths and insights. The relationships of the characters makes it flow so wonderfully. I highly recommend this book. It's just simply amazing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Missed the boat, Oct. 21 2002
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
Lori Wick is an amazingly talented author who I have enjoyed over the years. Unfortunately, I believe she missed the boat with Bamboo and Lace. I am extremely concerned with her lack of understanding about anger. We are allowed feelings of anger without guilt when our anger is displayed appropriately. I am appalled by Mrs. Wick's assertion that all anger is directed toward God. That simply is not Biblical. I have deep concerns about what this book says to new Christians. We all "strive for perfection" and we all fall short. Mrs. Wick needs to show the internal struggles that most of us battle with our emotions and our daily lives. None of us can live up to the model that is portrayed in Bamboo and Lace. How discouraging. And how much more powerful this book would have been had we been allowed to see more realistic characters fighting their daily battles, instead of cardboard Christian paperdoll people who never fail, and who have all their dreams come true.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Unrealistic, Aug. 16 2002
This review is from: Bamboo And Lace (Paperback)
What a disappointment! The characters in this book are just too one dimensional. Lilly was entirely too naive for a 24 year old. Had she never been to the US? I've visited the mission field in several countries and would like to know what sort of missionary never comes home on furlough for 24 years.
I like happy endings, but this was too unreal throughout.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaf432e34)

Bamboo And Lace
Bamboo And Lace by Lori Wick (Paperback - July 1 2009)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 11.54