5.0 out of 5 stars No Words to Describe It!
Published on Jan. 13 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good teaching tool
Published on June 21 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good teaching tool, June 21 2004
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
I've used Flatland and Sphereland in my High School Pre-Calculus class. They're both entertaining books, but also ones that are a bit elementary for the class. I would say they are written for entertainment first, enlightenment second. Flatterland is NOT the same type of book. I have never been an Ian Stewart fan, but I do like this book. While the first two books are easy enough for a 7th grade student to understand, the topics in this book will require most high school students to be walked through the material. It's not an easy read. I will use this book with some of my students in the future, but only those that enjoy a challenge. It's true that the book tries to cover too much, but I think you should view it as a survey of modern mathematics. In my opinion, this is some of the best writing I've seen from Stewart, but definitely not up to the literary level set by Flatland and Sphereland.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Words to Describe It!, Jan. 13 2004
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
As a high school student, I was tortured into reading this book for Math Analysis. Having previously read Flatland, I was not keen on the idea of reading the sequel. My grade-conscious self got the better of me and I started to read the book. From the first chapter I was enthralled! Ian Stewart knew how to write and keep my attention. My parents had to threaten me so I would put it down so I could eat. (Imagine: a high schooler entranced in a MATH book!) I so totally recommend this book because I would have NEVER understood Mandelblot (er... Mandelbrot) nor would I have read on to discover a plethora of new dimensions (one and a quarter). I would recommend any person, avid mathematician or high schooler, to read this. It was easily understood and Ian Stewart is a fantastic writer! Too bad they didn't have ten stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable sequel, Sept. 4 2003
Bruce R. Gilson (Wheaton, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
This book is a sequel to Edwin Abbott's "Flatland" and makes its heroine a granddaughter of the hero of Abbott's book. Some people may find his playing with words excessive (his heroine is named "Victoria Line," combining the fact that she is literally a geometric "line" with the name of a subway line in London) but the book manages to cover a lot of territory in an amusing manner. I can't say I _learned_ a lot from the book, because I already knew most of its subject matter, but I'd certainly encourage someone who wanted to learn about curved spaces and higher dimensions to read it. The ultimate accolade: _After_ I had read it from cover to cover, I bought a copy, just so I'd have it in my own library.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimaginative and nowhere near Flatland, Aug. 7 2003
Markus Schmidt "Bewußtseinsastronaut" (Nürnberg Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
The book advertised as a sequel to Flatland but lacks everything Flatland has.
There is basically no plot, except some bare bone stuff to lead from one explanation of dimensional concepts to the next (what is intended to hold the semi-essays together is Vikkie Line a grand-grand-child of Abotts A.Sphere from Flatland ... Vikkie emerges into Spaceland and meets Space-Hopper who explains things line n-dimensions or n-fractional dimensions, etc.)
The explanations are bit like essays, their style somewhere between childlike and the stuff you read in mass market science magazines.
Now and then the auther manages some invent some witty and funny play of words, especially when it comes to the characters, so you can't help but smile in a couple of places.
So the book may be ok if you are not from a technical profession and looking some easy to read math and science articles, e.g. to read a chapter on the bus each day, and if you do not expect any useful plot.
But nontheless, the book comes nowhere near Flatland. Compared to that it makes the impression of just having been stiched togeteher from a couple of magazine essays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flatterland, a remarkable sequel to a remarkable book., Jan. 29 2003
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
When I first read Flatland (the original) I was deeply inspired and fasinated by the 4th dimensional ideas it brought up. When I picked up a copy of Flatterland, I had hoped for an interesting read with maybe a few new concepts at best, but I certainly got more than I bargained for. Flatterland takes you on a journey through much more than just the 4th dimension (which is interesting enough already.) He takes you through non-Eucludean dimensions, the world of 1.25 dimensions, theoretical dimensions, and even a world of infinite dimension. Ian Stewart brilliantly plays on words and makes you laugh at every step of the way. The ideas brought up are so fasinating and cutting edge, that it definately deserves more than one reading, and better still, they are explained in detail so that even the most complex concepts are easily understood. This book is clever, amusing, and perhaps even brilliant. I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Literature that makes me grind my teeth, Nov. 30 2002
"judgemantiss" (ND United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
In this book agonizingly simple theories and bits of logic are spun into a web of mixed metaphors and frustrating wordplay that is tedious, confusing, incessant, and causes the reader to fixate and break his or her reading 'stride' every other sentance to translate into "Planiturthian".
Entire chapters are devoted to simple mathmatical theories I recall from high-school algebra, which could be described to conclusion over the course of a brief paragraph (such as tacking an extra dimension onto a geometrical equation). After reading the first paragraph of any section and translating all the gibberish, your mind will leap to the logical conclusion about seven pages before the author does.
This book offers little educational or entertaining rewards. Reading it is more of a test of determination.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - it left me flat, Sept. 9 2002
Bernie "Bernie" (Richardson, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So (Paperback)
I enjoyed Flatland and Sphereland, so I received this book as a gift. It will be for sale, in mint condition, momentarily. The second half of the book will remain unseen by me, because I simply could not bring myself to continue.
Flatland was interesting and entertaining both mathematically and for its social satire. Sphereland was also interesting and entertaining. But Flatterland tries too hard. In the inroduction the author says he had the idea for explaining multiple dimensions using a similar approach to the earlier books, and then developed those ideas into this book. Sounds like a good idea, but the book lacks the wit to keep it interesting. And in some places lacks adequate explanations of concepts. I can imagine that somoene already familar with the concepts and enamored of the topic might think the author did a clever job of explaining someting that they have had difficulty explaining themselves. But, for someone who doesn't work in the field and hasn't had the challenges of explaining the concepts this book is nether fascinating nor interesting and only sometimes achieves the goal of explaining. It is mostly boring, although the introduction is interesting and explains a possible satirical reference to the origin of A. Square's name that would have probably eluded anyone not from London.
On page 32 there is the assertion that a cube of side 1.06 can fit through a cube of side 1. There is an illustration to demonstrate that. The illustration is not clear and I believe it has errors in it. Unfortunately there is no information to find other sources that explain this obscure factoid. On page 72, in the chapter explaining fractals he makes the assertion that if you take one segment of a snowflake and fit together four copies you will have an area three times the size. This turns out to be an important assertion for his example, but it sure ins't obvious and there is no explanation of why that assertion might be true.
But, by now these comments are probably as boring and of diminishing interest as the book itself. You and I both have better ways to spend our time.

1.0 out of 5 stars should have handed his ideas to a better writer, Aug. 6 2002
By A Customer
Stewart has some interesting math to give to the common person, however he isn't very good at setting it down. His jokes are horrible, and his narrative is slow. It is written as if he is giving a lecture in tag-team mode between the protagonist Vicky and her guide the Space Hopper.
After reading Flatland, I had hoped this sequel would live up to the sort of lofty ideals and imagination of Abbott's work. However, just as the people in Victorian England, Stewart immediately shrugs off the possibility of any higher spatial dimension than 3, and proceeds to merely give lectures on topology and geometry through bad puns and tiring dialogue.

3.0 out of 5 stars �Is there an editor in the house�, May 31 2002
newton fisher "nerdly uncki" (riverside, california United States) - See all my reviews
A strange book. Chock full of interesting information but hard to read.
After reading, rereading much of the book, my feeling is this book needs an editor. Oh after one fights the poor puns, the 'creative' spellings and the curse of an author who seems to want the reader to discover everything the author knows ... and do it 'right now' ... the information's all there if ones willing to use 'nitogyrcin' to free it up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame, Feb. 4 2002
By A Customer
Like totally. It is so bizarre to have to deal with Stewart giving voice to a adolescent girl's diary. Kind of distrubing actually. INteresting math, but the format here is painful to read. Try Jeff Weeks' "the sahpe of space"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So
Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So by Ian Stewart (Paperback - April 18 2002)
CDN$ 21.50 CDN$ 15.52