5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle read, July 23 2000
By A Customer
Having recently lost my father, I've felt unable to comfort my mother fully (can anyone?), but this book has given me much needed insight into how to help my mother cope with her sudden singleness. Ginsburg's empathy (she herself was unprepared for widowhood) and intelligence (her prose isn't rife with the self-help jargon that doesn't come naturally to many of us) permeate each insightful page. She details not only the facts of widowhood (living alone, eating alone, suriving alone) but also includes personal commentary that places her words in much-needed context. I will purchase copies for my mother and sister, and I believe that they will now begin to understand that it's "okay" to feel anger, and sadness, and hopelessness. Ginsburg validates one's feelings, and no one else has been able to do that for me/us yet. This is a very special book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Widow to Widow - an excellent resourse, Dec 1 2001
By A Customer
I found an earlier edition in a library 12 years ago when my husband was dying of prostate cancer, and I had no one close with whom to share. It seemed every page had a jewel of information that was so helpful. One I especially like, when as a plumber in action (with no husband to do it), and you have the pliers trying to tighten a screw--advice "right is tight", "left is loose!" How about that for some GOOD practical advice. Of course, her whole book is much deeper than that and she covers so many situations and feelings a widow undergoes.
I have now given out 5 or 6 of "Widow to Widow" to others during these 12 years since my husband died. A friend even ordered one to be able to counsel widows as a pastor's wife. She thinks it is excellent. I am now placing another order to have "Widow to Widow" on hand when an appropriate instance arises and another new widow needs some calming insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read for any Widow, April 18 2003
By A Customer
I purchased this book as a gift for friend when she lost her husband. She contacted me right away saying how much she enjoyed the book - how it was helping her - the best she'd read - it's exactly how I feel - these were her comments. I've purchased several for other friends since - they all say the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best at Capturing the Emtional Turmoil of Losing a Spouse, Oct. 13 2002
By A Customer
I read several "widow" books after losing my husband suddenly to a heart attack and this book did the best job of capturing the emotional turmoil of losing a spouse. It is very difficult to cope with the unwelcome changes in ones life and this book helps to guide the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent help for widows!, July 25 2002
By A Customer
I received an earlier version of Widow to Widow from a friend when my husband died in an auto accident five years ago. I found it comforting to read that I was not "crazy" or alone in the thoughts and feelings I had following his death. I related to the author so well when there were not many other 24 year old widows nearby to talk to. With a toddler and a ten-day old baby, the book was also the only one (of MANY) I found that I could pick up, read very briefly on the topic I needed at the moment and come back to later. I now keep several copies on hand to send to newly widowed friends and acquaintances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Credible, and Considerate, Feb. 18 2000
I purchased this book (among many others) four months after I was suddenly widowed. I have read and re-read sections of the book time and again. Ms. Ginsburg is "one of us" and knows whereof she speaks.
I have returned to purchase a copy as a gift for a newly widowed friend. I don't want her to have to wait until she is able to go searching for the resources contained in Widow to Widow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful help for widows., April 17 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book on Sun and finished it on Tues. I was widowed 2 yrs ago when a Drunk took my husband's life in a head on collision. My family kept telling me I should be over it by now, however, I wasn't. Thanks to this book I know I am not nuts. This woman knows exactly what she is talking about. Thank you so very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, May 9 2000
By A Customer
I read this book almost 2 years ago after I lost my husband to suicide. I was 31 at the time and found the book to be a great help, although geared more for older widows. I am returning to purchase a copy for my mother, who was recently widowed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God, a reality book!, Aug. 26 2002
Christine Brown (La Habra, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read a multitude of books after loosing my husband right before the holidays. Ms. Ginsburg "hit the nail" on the head for most of the REAL things I wold be facing. It was honest, humorous and convinced me I wasn't going crazy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you see that you are normal., April 9 2014
This review is from: Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life (Paperback)
This book is an excellent read for anyone who has lost a spouse. The situations presented throughout are very realistic, and make you understand that you are normal, and this journey needs to be done on YOUR time, and no one else's.

Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life
Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life by Genevieve Davis Ginsburg (Paperback - Aug. 18 2004)
CDN$ 19.50 CDN$ 14.08