5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole Truth About Pregnancy: A Must for 1st Timers!
This is a great book for anyone to read - whether you are pregnant, trying to conceive or thinking about trying to conceive! It's funny, it's frank, and very easy/quick to read.

Published on June 24 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Too Funny
I couldn't wait for this book to be released. It looked so funny! Well, I gave it two stars for several reasons.
1) The swearing was a little hard to take. I had read about that in other reviews, but I still didn't care for it. Call me a prude if you like...
Published on June 26 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Too Funny, June 26 2004
By A Customer
2)It just wasn't "laugh out loud" funny. Maybe I had seen too much hype. You know how sometimes things just don't stack up. There was one part where I sort of chuckled, but that was about it.
3) I LOVE being pregnant. After years of trying and 4 miscarriages, every pregnancy symptom is a huge blessing. Yeah, they can been a pain (literally), but this made it sound like torture. For me, at least, it's not.
I will say the ending of the book made earned some big points. I wish the entire book could have been written in that endearing style.
Since it looks like I'm the only one not in love with this book, let the slamming begin...

1.0 out of 5 stars It was *sometimes* (thus the 1 star) funny, but..., May 25 2004
By A Customer
on my second pregnancy with a month to go, I found most of it to be really crass (according to the editorial review that makes me 'uptight'). I also don't care how/why/if she is a celebrity and I got tired of her bringing it up in every chapter (which, by the way, really have no substance to them at all). There are so many funnier, more interesting, informative, and in depth pregnant and 'mommy' books out there ('Girlfriend's Guide', 'I Don't Know How She Does It', etc.) that I found this one to be a huge waste of money. I *might* encourage someone to borrow it from the library, but never to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but nothing special., July 17 2004
fingerhead (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews
Let me begin this by saying that I've always found Jenny McCarthy funny.
That aside, this book could have been so much better. Yes, it's refreshing to see a pregnancy book that discusses topics conveniently left out of most others. It just seemed like she threw the entire thing together in an afternoon. Or less. As I read each chapter, I kept hoping she would have written more or expanded on her experience.
Overall, it was very disappointing. I expected much more from her. Maybe the next one will be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole Truth About Pregnancy: A Must for 1st Timers!, June 24 2004
By A Customer

This book is absolutely hilarious!!!! I wasn't a huge Jenny McCarthy fan, but this book has made me a fan! She talks a lot about all the "unmentionables" that happen to you and your body during pregnancy in a frank and funny way - stuff you would never ask/tell anyone about other than your closest girfriends, and maybe your doctor. I think I laughed at least once on every single page!

It's less than two-hundred pages and is very easy/quick reading...I read it in a night and I am not a fast reader! I'm actually going to make my husband read it, because I think it will really help him gain some insight into what we women go through.....there are also some "things to remember" for your husband (to post on the refrigerator) at the end....awesome!

It's scary and funny at the same time. Definitely one of my favorite pregnancy books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales from the trenches...Funny, reassuring & right on!, June 3 2004
By A Customer
Candid, often hysterical "up close and personal" accounts of some of the most embarrassing, annoying, confusing experiences a mother-to-be (or in my case a mother pregnant with her second child) is faced with. It was pure joy and instant relief!...It's as if I was talking to a close girlfriend over a cup of coffee only too happy to discover that I am truly not alone in the occasional feelings of anxiety, guilt, envy, paranoia and general frustration the hormones seem to stir up during this otherwise blessed 9 month period. Humor is indeed therapeutic, an essential tool for successful parenting. Another book that I highly recommend for the same reasons is called "The Pocket Parent." This book is loaded with humor, compassion and hundreds of sanity saving suggestions written exclusively for parents of toddlers. The many short true annecdotes included from the true experts--moms and dads in the trenches of parenthood--continue to help me keep in mind that I am not alone in my hair-raising experiences, thoughts and feelings especially on a really bad day! Both books are excellent additions to your home library that will make you laugh while replenishing your spirit as a more confident parent!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Buzz Is Right, May 27 2004
By A Customer
The buzz is right on this funny but "tell all" book. It's so much fun to read that you will keep it on the night stand just to review after reading it. I made my husband read it so he could at least confirm some of the things I had tried to explain to him. He thought it was pretty gross but then changed his mind as the words jumped out at him only confirming what I have been experiencing all along. Even though this is a new baby for him - it's my third and I was still overcome with so many "belly laughs," I had to read it with a little food in my stomach so I wouldn't get the hiccups and literally wet my pants. Men can't experience the mood swings and body changes, but they can relate a little better when reading this book. I think all husbands or even couples who are considering to get pregnant should read this book. While it is a rare find, it may make some wait a while before taking this big step. If you have other kids like us, I suggest husbands and moms read a couple of additional right on target books: The New Father, by Armin Brott and Mommy CEO, by Jodie Lynn. Both books cover tons of things and Mommy CEO includes down to earth tips from other parents. If there are three books that should be handed out right at the doctor's offices, it should be these three. Together, they leave no questions uncovered.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Book For Any Pregnant Woman, April 26 2004
I heard about this book from the Sharon Osborne show, searched everywhere,looking for a Jenny Mc Carthy website to find out how I could get the book, but found nothing. I even e-mailed Sharon Osborne! But no response:( Finally I found out the release date and counted down the days to get it on opening day. Let me tell you, I was the first to get this book in my town. I have read all the pregnancy books there is, but this one is the best. Being a young mother-to-be, it is helping to show me "how it really is going to be." Everything that she went through, I went through and am going through to a "T." I absolutely love this book and HIGHLY recomend it to people who aren't afraid to hear it how it is, not some technical terms. Hey, we're all not doctors, so why read all the other books that have technical terms and sugar-coat pregnancy? I can't express through words how this book has helped me along the way so far, and I guarentee it will help you; by making you literally laugh out loud crying because your cheeks hurt from laughing so hard. It will bring laughter to your stressed-out, mood-swinging, grumpy all the time self. I can't say enough about this book. It is my pregnancy bible, and I am so glad it came out before I'm due to have my son (May 18th!) So, GO GET THIS BOOK! YOU WON'T REGRET IT! IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY! And thankyou Jenny Mc Carthy for writing the best pregnancy book EVER! Oh, and to the people who find this book offensive or disrespectful: It is the 21st century, and if your not comfortable with your body and are too afraid to talk about it, then yeah your right this book isn't for you. But I must add that she wrote this to tell you how it is, being very blunt, and not beating around the bush. This is how she is and if you can't handle the truth, then you're right, don't buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll On Floor Laugh Out Loud With Every Page, May 6 2004
By A Customer
Bring it on momma! I love this book even if it makes me run to the bathroom every few minutes. Being pregnant, at least over 7 months, makes most of us have to go to the potty frequently. Add a true Belly Laugh -- ok pun intended -- and we're sunk. Who cares...it's so funny, light hearted and a total must have for those of us who feel like fat dumpy cows who would like to be thin tanned hotties! It's a hoot! For more laugh out loud books or for a little more on tots to teens, my book club read, Don't Put Lipstick On the Cat, by Debbie Farmer, it's terribly funny with parenting tips too and Mommy-CEO, by Jodie Lynn, a book that leaves all moms going away with a different viewpoint on kids, life and WIFE. Laughing is the world's best medicine and these three books brings back memories to those of us that already have kids but are expecting again. If you believe in moms and the crazy life of motherhood, you'll love all three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jenny, you are FUNNY!, April 23 2004
"dbode32" (Los Angeles. CA) - See all my reviews
HI there,
Ok Ok.. I was kinda skeptical on how I felt about Ms. Jenny.. I didn't know what to think of her after I saw some of the shows that she was involved in and of course, no one really likes to admit that women can be caddy when it comes to pretty Playboy models.. I have been put in my place and ate my words when I read "Belly Laughs' I didn't realize how FUNNY and witty she was.. I am a pregnant woman who can SO APPRECIATE everything she was talking about in all the chapters.. I am 3 months and have a way to go and it makes me feel so much better that someone so glamorous can share in her fart and constipation stories..not to mention.. its about time someone in Hollywood can be this honest and not talk about where they shopped to get the latest 200 buck preggers T-shirt and the godforsaken Fred Segal.. YUCK!!!
THANKS JENNY.. YOU ROCK MY WORLD..
Kat

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, April 27 2004
By A Customer
After reading the other reviews I knew I had to have this book. I have always been a fan of Jenny McCarthy and I was curious as to how she would be at writing. I am so glad I bought this book. This is honestly one of the best books I have ever bought.
I am 31 weeks pregnant and I laughed so hard I thought I would send my self into early labor. Yes she is crude at times and the language is a little vulgar, but hey...she's just being honest. I recommend this book to every pregnant woman. While being pregnant, especially in the last couple months when you are miserable, it is nice to laugh and feel like you are not alone.
There are so many things Jenny talks about in this book that happened to me that my mother never told me, and here I thought I was just a weirdo.
This is a MUST READ! It was wonderful!!

Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth
Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth by Jenny McCarthy (Paperback - Dec 13 2005)
CDN$ 16.50 CDN$ 12.05
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available