5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource
Published on July 23 2006 by Steven R. McEvoy

2.0 out of 5 stars My husband didn't read it.
Basically his reaction was "too long, didn't read". He didn't really want all the details and background, even though he was supportive in real life. He wanted me to sum up for him, and tell him exactly how to help. He did enjoy "So You're going to be a Dad" by Peter Downey and passed it to a friend when they were expecting.
Published 2 months ago by Freedle

2.0 out of 5 stars My husband didn't read it., Feb. 6 2014
This review is from: Your Pregnancy for the Father-to-Be: Everything Dads Need to Know about Pregnancy, Childbirth and Getting Ready for a New Baby (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, July 23 2006
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
As a first time father this book was very helpful. It did not go into nearly the details that some of the other books did. It was very specific about what a man can do to help his wife through the process. It also looks at some longer term items, like saving for school, planning for the first few weeks after the birth and even packing a travel bag for you to take to the hospital. It is nice light reading in an easy to read format and style. This book will definitely be a benefit to you and your partner. The 5 sections are: the three trimesters, labor & delivery, and at home with the baby. These authors also wrote a number of supporting or complimentary books:
Bouncing Back From Your Pregnancy
Your Baby's First Year Week by Week
Your Pregnancy Week by Week

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than "Week by Week", Dec 7 2003
Joy Carnahan "Mama Cipolla" (Largo, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this along with the "Week by Week" selection by the same authors when we first found out we were pregnant. After about a few days of myhusband and I reading our seperate books, I found that he had more information than I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "primer" pregnancy book for expecting dads out there!, Sept. 6 2003
As an expecting dad (our baby should be with us within the next few weeks) I have been trying to learn as much as I can and shared readings with my wife on all things about the baby, but the truth is that, as men, we need some literature that will relate a bit more to us, and give us "tips" on how to better cope with this whole thing that's going on around us, for which most likely we've never been prepared. This is where this book comes in handy! From the same authors of the reputed book "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" (now in its fourth edition), came this one, meant to help expectant fathers "understand what a woman goes through during pregnancy and how [they] can help her deal with the things that are happening to her."
Opening up is a very useful table that breaks down topics (with page #s) into "The Good Part," "You May Want to Help Your Partner Deal With" and "Pay Attention to" by trimester, around labor and delivery, and finally at home with the baby (in a "What to expect when you're expecting" fashion, if you may). Also VERY useful are the abundance of DOs (Brownie Points) and DON'Ts (In The Doghouse) spread throughout the book, nicely going hand in hand with the topics covered in the pages where they pop up.
There is also a sort of glossary of terms for expecting couples, and then the book goes into topics that deal with the emotional, physical and financial aspects of pregnancy in enough detail to serve as a very good primer for most matters and purposes. Definitely not meant as an in-depth book on pregnancy, childbirth or raising your newborn child, this book does fulfill a purpose by providing expecting dads with an easy-to-read book that they can relate to, in order to get them up to speed with the basics about pregnancy, and -most importantly- to ensure that they are able to cope with their wives' needs as best as possible during pregnancy and thereafter.

1.0 out of 5 stars New dad, March 12 2010
If you are an expecting dad or mom, then skip this book! Trust me, you will find more information from the first Google search result then you will from this book. The chapters are well organized, but lacking in relevant content. Half the book talks about how I should feel at different stages of pregnancy and that I should do everything my wife asks me to do (like you wouldn't otherwise), and any relevant information is very general. This book covers many topics but without any details and every chapter mentions that you should talk to your family doctor. And none of the suggestions given in the book are very useful, For example: instead of telling you how to change the baby's diaper, the author says that you shouldn't think of diaper changes as a chore and instead make this a fun experience with your newborn' The author claims to be a father of 5 children, but was clearly not involved in any of them'
My wife bought 'The Pregnancy Bible' and 'Mayo Clinic Guide', both were very useful books!

4.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, Feb. 23 2010
N. Rainville "natrainn" (ontario canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the book of this collection for the mother to be so I bought this one for my husband. He is the kind of guy that collects books but doesn't actually read them. Well he surprised me with highlighters and post it notes with this one! He is following our pregnancy weekly with the help of this book. He trusts it because it is written by doctors and because of this we have also purchased the book from this collection for the first year with the child. I believe this book is essential for any father to be that wants to be involved or at least understand what the woman is going through. It also has tips on how to please and surprise the mother to be: like a surprise back rub, afternoon delight, etc!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont bother, Aug. 22 2011
Waste of time.
You'd get more useful information asking your neighbors or friends.
About 2/3 of the book contains the most obvious, useless "advice".
If the mother is cold, offer her a blanket or sweater.
If the mother is thirsty offer her a drink.
If the mother is feeling self-conscious about her body, dont make fun of her weight.
These are not jokes, these are actual "tips" from the book.

You could remove 125 pages from this book and replace them with this sentence:
Be respectful and considerate of the expecting mother.

ARRAY(0xb1283924)