Published on April 25 2011 by greengirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid help book
Concise instructions and help given to those that are going through a rough break up.

I really enjoyed this book as it gave you just the right amount of information on the emotions or thoughts you're going through paired with reasonable exercises on what you can do to heal yourself.
Published 8 months ago by R. Chiu

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the best break up book that will ever happen to you!, April 25 2011
This review is from: Getting Past Your Breakup: How to Turn a Devastating Loss into the Best Thing That Ever Happened to You (Paperback)
I was a fan of Susan Elliott's blog during the time she was writing "Getting Past Your Breakup." From her blog, I know that Susan is highly educated and articulate, and that she gives excellent advice in an understanding but very no-nonsense fashion. Susan has impressive academic credentials related to the subject matter, as she was a practicing therapist and has advanced education in that field. What I found exceptionally helpful about both the book and the blog, though, is that Susan has lived through the process that she writes about in her book. After being raised in an abusive and dysfunctional family, Susan left her first marriage to an abusive husband, and was devastated by the break up. She then undertook a process of healing her emotional issues from her childhood and from the domestic abuse she'd experienced, while working through the loss of her first marriage. She learned how to create a happier, healthier life for herself and her children, and then went on to have a very healthy and happy second marriage. She also discusses how she went about making her dreams come true. The book teaches how to discover your dreams, set goals and work towards them in a systematic way, while also addressing any emotional issues that can hold you back from fulfilling your dreams.

This book is excellent for getting past a break up. Even if you haven't experienced childhood abuse or a dysfunctional family, this book is amazing and useful. But if you have, I would recommend it even more strongly, as it covers these additional topics that many break-up related books don't delve in to. This book and Susan's blog helped me so much, and I am quite confident it will be equally helpful to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid help book, Aug. 16 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars returned it, May 10 2012
Bought this book based on all the raving reviews for my resource library. I do believe Susan Elliott is a very clever woman and genius marketer. I am glad that her techniques worked for her and for all the other glowing reviewers. Personally, I did not like this book at all. I could not get past the pretentiousness of the author nor her my-way-or-the-hiway attitude. I did not think the book worthy of taking up shelf space in my library so I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a lifesaver for getting through a breakup!!, Jan. 11 2011
This book is a godsend for anyone who is stuck in the breakup period of a relationship. I went through a difficult divorce and was having tremendous difficulty moving on. This book was the tool that knocked some sense into me in a very practical, yet caring way. The author speaks about her own personal experience and offers great advice, step-by-step. If you are a divorced parent and need to maintain contact with your ex, this book will show you how. I had read a lot of self-help books out there, but nothing really hit home until I found this little gem. I wouldn't be where I am today (happy!) had I not found Susan and this terrific book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important book for anyone going through a breakup, May 28 2009
David Mcdonald (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I think this is a very important book for those going through a breakup, and perhaps a book that just everyone should read! It helped me understand some of my feelings, and is helping me put a plan together and take control of my life instead of feeling like a victim. Section on healthy boundaries was a real eye opener for me. It's like having a personal life coach right in a book. The blog that goes along with the book keeps giving long after the book is read. Thanks to Susan for this, it made a huge difference for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saver!, Nov. 21 2012
I was in a toxic relationship with someone for 7 years. He was a serial cheater and liar and I couldn't seem to break up with him and be done with it. I couldn't see my life without him. This book propelled me into action on ending it and not breaking no contact, finally, after a few years of failed breakups/makeups with him. The book made me realize that I shouldn't settle for what he was capable of giving me. Susan's direct approach and "tough love" attitude helped me more than anything I ever read before. When you are reading the book and really emotionally raw from the heartache, it's as if Susan is talking to you and that she knows EXACTLY how you feel. The book helps you to feel like you are not alone and that there is more to life than there was with your ex. The book opens your eyes to doing new things and building your life for the better. It also helps you to deal with grief from this breakup and any past issues you may have. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling on letting go. I am very grateful I found this book and for Susan's work!

ARRAY(0xbfab3144)