5.0 out of 5 stars Just like Pringles, couldn't get enough......
Published on July 2 2003 by Kevin J. Dabulis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!
I was looking forward to this book arriving and while I do not regret buying it or reading it, I was somewhat disappointed. It was nice to read actual accounts by someone much like everyone else, however I did find it repetitive. With that said though, it was not a horrible book and I would recommend it ;)
Published on July 31 2009 by Ramsey Guideon

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like Pringles, couldn't get enough......, July 2 2003
Kevin J. Dabulis (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
I did a training run on an ambulance with Elaine's husband a few weeks ago and he told me all about the house and about the book. Me, being the curious soul that I am just had to read it. I bought it the next day and just before bedtime started to read it, around 10:30pm, the next thing I know it's a quarter to 3am and I'm finished.... I just got lost in this book, it is both beautifully and skillfully written, I was picturing everything in my mind while reading.... Even though this is a personal memoir and hopefully the incidents in the home have ended, I hope that Elaine continues to write. It doesn't matter the genre, maybe she can build on her experiences and have her imagination run wild. Thanks for writing the book it was both fun and interesting....

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the genre, April 27 2004
Atheen M. Wilson "Atheen" (Mpls, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
Grave's End is an amazing history of the experiences of a family living in a haunted house in Brooklyn. It was mentioned in an encyclopedic work by Hans Holzer, and I decided to follow it up out of curiosity.
Ms Mercado, if her vita is to be believed, is a well educated individual who works in a very demanding field-ER nursing at a trauma center-which expects practical, level headedness in emergencies. I would therefore expect her to be observant, calm in intense situations, and critical enough not to jump to conclusions without proper reflection. Her discussion of the events that occurred over a 12 year period and affected her family in major ways, is thorough and open.
I found her efforts to understand the phenomenon, even to the point of taking a class on the subject, impressive. The number of people who could corroborate these experiences was also impressive. It would be interesting to have a book by one of these individuals.
I would love to write fictional ghost stories myself, and it was interesting to dissect this tale for points that made it both believable and scary, ie) the characters are real, they invite sympathy and support, the house has an interesting character and history, there are specific places that are haunted and others that are "safe," there is a stop-start character to the phenomenon--ala Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds--there is a mystery to be solved, experts to be consulted, a resolution to the mystery and to the haunting, and a happily ever after ending. I liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Most, Dec 9 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
I love true ghost stories, but I find I'm usually disappointed with the books I've read claiming to relate true accounts of paranormal experiences--they just aren't that scary and are often rather boring. This book was definately not boring...I couldn't put it down and I actually did find myself getting creeped out frequently. I think the problem with most "true ghost story" books is that you don't often get first-hand accounts and you don't get a lot of details regarding witnesses' personal experiences. Here, you get a first-hand account with plenty of detail. Even the stuff that doesn't directly relate to the haunting--namely the author's account of her dysfunctional relationship with her grouchy husband--is interesting. Definately a good read...you won't feel like you've wasted your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best true ghost story !!!, May 29 2003
André Mattar (Sao Paulo Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
When Elaine Mercado and her first husband bought their home in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1982, they had no idea that they and their two young daughters were embarking on a thirteen-year nightmare. Within a few days of moving in, Elaine and her older daughter began to experience the sensation of being watched. Then came scratching noises and weird smells, followed by voices whispering, maniacal laughter, shadowy figures scurrying along baseboards, and small balls of light bouncing along the ceilings. From the beginning of the haunting, "suffocating dreams" were experienced by everyone except the younger daughter. These eventually accelerated to physical aggression directed at Elaine and both the girls. This book is the true story of how one family tried to cope with living in a haunted house. It also describes how, with the help of parapsychologist Dr. Hans Holzer and medium Marisa Anderson, the family discovered the tragic and heartbreaking secrets buried in the house at Grave's End. This is the best true ghost story book I've ever read. After you reading this one, you won't be able to turn-off the lights of your bedroom when you go bed. In spite of Elaine doesn't be a professional writer ( she is a nurse ), she did a good work here. Whether you are the kind of person that like to be frightened or barely like to read a good ghost story, you should read this one. You won't be disappointed. Good reading !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leave the lights on, Dec 6 2002
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
Wow. Ms. Mercado's true story about her haunted house makes you feel as if you are a part of her family, experiencing all the mysterious noises and dark shadows that occur for years within the house. This book takes you on an emotional ride of this woman's struggle living in her, at one time, dream house. This is not about a daily ghost encounter for 20 years: at times there is absolutely no paranormal activity, which adds to the realism of the story. She even goes on to take paranormal classes at a local college to get an understanding of what and why this is happening to her home. However, there are just a couple encounters, of the many, that I cannot imagine could ever happening, though the author herself states that she wouldn't believe it either if she were the reader. Is there is a resolution to her family's ghostly problems? Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book! A Must-Have for True Ghost Story Fanatics!, Aug. 28 2002
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
I just want to say that this book truly scared me! It was so creepy that I refused to read it at night. The scariest part is that it's a true story. You almost feel like you're going through every experience right along with the author. It was so compelling that I couldn't put it down. You can't wait to find out what happens next. I wish I could find more books like these! I give the author a great deal of credit for having the courage to relive everything she went through and to write a book about it. It must have been extremely difficult. I wish her and her family good fortune and happiness.. : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book...., June 14 2001
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
....but dont' read it a night. I was floored on how good this books is. When I heard it was a real life haunting, I had to get it, and I'm sure as hell glad I did.
This is the story of Elaine Mercado and her experiences in her haunted house, and how it efected her family.
I couldn't read this book at night b/c it was so scary. I have to give Elaine a lot of credit, I'd have been out of that house so fast...
Here are some of the things that Elaine and her family had to face...
Voices...knocking....poundings....being pushed into her bad at night, and couldn't move.
If you love real life ghost stories, then you must get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grave's End: A True Ghost Story, Dec 1 2009
Kittynnn (Ajax, Ontario, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
This book is hauntingly wonderful. It's an eye opener for some of us that certain apparitions does have a purpose to communicate to the living world even though those departed ones have limited ways of conveying it. It makes us understand the unknown...hence the saying " Peace thru understanding." Kittynnn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!, July 31 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, March 4 2009
Carol P (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
I found this book fasinating. In fact I read the whole book in one day. Couldn't put it down. If you're interested in the paranormal I think it's well worth reading.

ARRAY(0xaaa41b70)

Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado (Paperback - May 8 2001)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24