5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the genre
Grave's End is an amazing history of the experiences of a family living in a haunted house in Brooklyn. It was mentioned in an encyclopedic work by Hans Holzer, and I decided to follow it up out of curiosity.
Published on April 27 2004 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish you could give "0" stars for a book
I have read many, many books about true hauntings and this has to be the worst. For the first 145 or so pages out of about 165 we hear about the same phenomena over and over that frightens the author terribly, but obviously not enough to find some way to vacate the premises or even take any course of action over ten years. I can't believe that over ten years of constant...
Published on Sept. 29 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the genre, April 27 2004
Amazon Customer "Atheen" (Mpls, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
Ms Mercado, if her vita is to be believed, is a well educated individual who works in a very demanding field-ER nursing at a trauma center-which expects practical, level headedness in emergencies. I would therefore expect her to be observant, calm in intense situations, and critical enough not to jump to conclusions without proper reflection. Her discussion of the events that occurred over a 12 year period and affected her family in major ways, is thorough and open.
I found her efforts to understand the phenomenon, even to the point of taking a class on the subject, impressive. The number of people who could corroborate these experiences was also impressive. It would be interesting to have a book by one of these individuals.
I would love to write fictional ghost stories myself, and it was interesting to dissect this tale for points that made it both believable and scary, ie) the characters are real, they invite sympathy and support, the house has an interesting character and history, there are specific places that are haunted and others that are "safe," there is a stop-start character to the phenomenon--ala Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds--there is a mystery to be solved, experts to be consulted, a resolution to the mystery and to the haunting, and a happily ever after ending. I liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Most, Dec 9 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
I love true ghost stories, but I find I'm usually disappointed with the books I've read claiming to relate true accounts of paranormal experiences--they just aren't that scary and are often rather boring. This book was definately not boring...I couldn't put it down and I actually did find myself getting creeped out frequently. I think the problem with most "true ghost story" books is that you don't often get first-hand accounts and you don't get a lot of details regarding witnesses' personal experiences. Here, you get a first-hand account with plenty of detail. Even the stuff that doesn't directly relate to the haunting--namely the author's account of her dysfunctional relationship with her grouchy husband--is interesting. Definately a good read...you won't feel like you've wasted your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best true ghost story !!!, May 29 2003
André Mattar (Sao Paulo Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
When Elaine Mercado and her first husband bought their home in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1982, they had no idea that they and their two young daughters were embarking on a thirteen-year nightmare. Within a few days of moving in, Elaine and her older daughter began to experience the sensation of being watched. Then came scratching noises and weird smells, followed by voices whispering, maniacal laughter, shadowy figures scurrying along baseboards, and small balls of light bouncing along the ceilings. From the beginning of the haunting, "suffocating dreams" were experienced by everyone except the younger daughter. These eventually accelerated to physical aggression directed at Elaine and both the girls. This book is the true story of how one family tried to cope with living in a haunted house. It also describes how, with the help of parapsychologist Dr. Hans Holzer and medium Marisa Anderson, the family discovered the tragic and heartbreaking secrets buried in the house at Grave's End. This is the best true ghost story book I've ever read. After you reading this one, you won't be able to turn-off the lights of your bedroom when you go bed. In spite of Elaine doesn't be a professional writer ( she is a nurse ), she did a good work here. Whether you are the kind of person that like to be frightened or barely like to read a good ghost story, you should read this one. You won't be disappointed. Good reading !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leave the lights on, Dec 6 2002
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
Wow. Ms. Mercado's true story about her haunted house makes you feel as if you are a part of her family, experiencing all the mysterious noises and dark shadows that occur for years within the house. This book takes you on an emotional ride of this woman's struggle living in her, at one time, dream house. This is not about a daily ghost encounter for 20 years: at times there is absolutely no paranormal activity, which adds to the realism of the story. She even goes on to take paranormal classes at a local college to get an understanding of what and why this is happening to her home. However, there are just a couple encounters, of the many, that I cannot imagine could ever happening, though the author herself states that she wouldn't believe it either if she were the reader. Is there is a resolution to her family's ghostly problems? Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book...., June 14 2001
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
....but dont' read it a night. I was floored on how good this books is. When I heard it was a real life haunting, I had to get it, and I'm sure as hell glad I did.
This is the story of Elaine Mercado and her experiences in her haunted house, and how it efected her family.
I couldn't read this book at night b/c it was so scary. I have to give Elaine a lot of credit, I'd have been out of that house so fast...
Here are some of the things that Elaine and her family had to face...
Voices...knocking....poundings....being pushed into her bad at night, and couldn't move.
If you love real life ghost stories, then you must get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book! A Must-Have for True Ghost Story Fanatics!, Aug. 28 2002
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
I just want to say that this book truly scared me! It was so creepy that I refused to read it at night. The scariest part is that it's a true story. You almost feel like you're going through every experience right along with the author. It was so compelling that I couldn't put it down. You can't wait to find out what happens next. I wish I could find more books like these! I give the author a great deal of credit for having the courage to relive everything she went through and to write a book about it. It must have been extremely difficult. I wish her and her family good fortune and happiness.. : )

4.0 out of 5 stars Give It A Try!, Feb. 17 2004
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
"Graves End" is a ghost story! It is set in Brooklyn, New York and takes its' title from the neighborhood of a borough defined by it's neighborhoods. (It real life, it's one word and it's next to Coney Island on the "N" Train). The story begins as a family buys a house they can barely afford to escape a cramped apartment and a lousy landlord! (What New Yorker can fail to identify?) It quickly becomes obvious that the author, her husband and 2 daughters have some "unwanted company". The house is haunted by what may only be described as "previous tenants". Fortunately, the spirits are relatively benign! The author is far more affected by the spirits than other family members are. Her soon to be former husband is a skeptic. Her 2 daughters bear up amazingly well and even feel sympathy ( !) for the ghosts. What happens? One will just have to read GE to find out, though the back cover almost spills the beans. There are some minor weak points to GE. Author Elaine Mercado is not a professional writer and has no apparent hopes of being one, so lapses are forgiven. For example, incidents constantly repeat themselves and family matters needlessly intrude. Even the resolution is surprisingly unexciting. Yet this reviewer's final judgement is to give Mercado a pass. She writes with tenacity, good humor and sincerity. And any decent true to life ghost tale deserves a second look. A final good word for GE is it's relative brevity. It is only 170+ pages; set in fairly large typeface One should approach the issue of ghosts and spirits with an open mind. The opinion here is to approach "Graves End" in a similar fashion. Many other amazon folks seem to like GE. There must be a reason for the popularity.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like true ghost stories, you'll love this one., Oct. 1 2003
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
At first I couldn't believe the family stayed in the house for 13 years, enduring all that paranormal activity. It wasn't just one type of disturbance, but several. But Elaine explained that it didn't happen on a daily basis and that they simply didn't have the money or really even the willpower to move. And of course there was the fact that they finally had their own place. I guess that would be a really big deal to finally be independent of landlords. She must have felt a special kind of loyalty to that house.
Several years ago I had an experience with two ghosts in an apartment I once rented. I have been very curious to find out about encounters that other people have had. Reading about the "suffocating dreams" that Elaine and her oldest daughter were having was very interesting for me because they were very similar to something that happened with one of my ghosts. Only I never found out anything about the history of the place where I lived. The lease was up a few months later and I moved. Not because of the ghosts, but because I needed a bigger place. Now I think that was too bad. I would have liked to have helped them on their way to the other side. Hope they made it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching ghost story-well worth your time and money, May 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
Elaine admits in the beginning that she's not a writer. She is a nurse who has experienced living in a haunted house. I don't blame her for being on the defense about her writing after reading some of these scathing reviews. Though her writing needs no excuse. As a voracious reader, I've read far too many books written by writers with the right degree and/or multiple degrees. Unfortunately these degrees don't redeem a bad story and/ or poor writing.
I want to thank Elaine for having the courage to write her story. She even included such details as her decaying marriage and her daughter's reactions to the ghosts, which gave the story a much more humane touch. She wrote about how her brave daughters helped her get through the ghostly visits. It was moving. I enjoyed watching them grow up. It moved beyond a non-fiction account of a haunted house and this made me feel much closer to Elaine and her family. I felt as if I had lived through the experience with them from her candid writing. It wouldn't have been as powerful of a story if someone else had written it for her. I'm sure it was difficult to recall all of these frightening memories and write them down.
If you're looking for a great scary moving story, than this will fill your desire. I was hooked and finished it in one sitting. It's difficult to find a compelling ghost story, and I'm so glad I found this book. Thanks Elaine for writing your story and getting it published! Kudos on a great book! I wish you and your family the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary as Hell...but with Heart, April 24 2003
Silas McJoad (Detroit, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave's End: A True Ghost Story (Paperback)
"Grave's End" is a terrific ghost story along the lines of "The Amityville Horror". The main difference is that the author doesn't seem to be trying to sell the reader a sack of banana oil. I must say I got quite a few shivers while reading this book. The author creates a sense of verisimilitude and genuine warmth about her family and close friends, all of whom slowly begin to experience very creepy and occasionally downright terrifying events in a century old house in Brooklyn. There is a sympathetic cast of characters, the central character being the protagonist's teenaged daughter who claims to see strange unearthy things in the house. At first she is not believed. That is, until all hell breaks loose.
What I like is that there is a satisfying resolution to the story yet there are still questions about whether or not the "experts" who examine the house really know what they are doing. Elaine Mercado simply describes her family's experiences during thirteen years of living in a supposedly haunted house without padding the book with a lot of spiritual hokum. The book moves very fast- I read it in one night.
Some books in this genre read as though the author has simply seen too many horror movies. "Grave's End" reads like a genuine journey into the realm of the supernatural. It somewhat reminded me of the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in that the protagonist expressed no interest or desire to have these kinds of supernatural experiences until they started to happen.
A great book; the best of the "true ghost story" books I have read in twenty years. I can't wait to see the movie.

Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado (Paperback - May 8 2001)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 11.59