march boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store Tools Unlimited cloud storage sports Registry

Format: Cards|Change

on August 4, 2009
First off, this review applies solely to the Marchetti deck in the kit. The accompanying book is an adequate, if basic, introduction to the fundamentals of Tarot, and as such, it fulfills its purpose.

Now, for the negative stuff:

First: the Major Arcana cards don't "feel" like Major Arcana cards. Maybe it's because all the cards in the deck are identically bordered, I don't know. But in my opinion, the Major cards should stand out a lot more. They are supposed to represent major forces, and as such should "jump out" more than the Minor cards. Just my opinion.

The Marchetti deck is all at once both stunningly beautiful and horribly tacky. Many of the faces are copy-paste photos of real people, and it just drives me insane. The suit of Pentacles in particular is filled with them. I much prefer the softer, less jarring look of a completely digitalized image. Having real faces gives those cards the vague impression of a collage, and it just doesn't sit well with me at all. I just can't take those cards seriously.

Speaking of not being able to take a card seriously, a single look at the Devil, and I cracked up. Same deal with Death. I mean, I can't speak for every Tarot enthusiast out there, but personally, if a card's art makes me guffaw at first glance, there's something "off" somewhere.

And my biggest problem with this deck, on an esoteric level: the suit of Cups is attributed the colour orange (???) instead of the usual blue, the colour traditionally used to represent water. Swords are blue here in the Marchetti deck, which manages to work because of the sky-air association, but orange for Cups? It's too close to the Wands' suit colour red. It's too "active" a colour for Cups. It just doesn't "feel" right.

Cards whose artwork I really don't like at all: the Devil, Death (reminds me of a "death metal" biker-type tattoo), the Page of Swords (looks like a Renaissance circus freak), and the Ten of Swords (not "harsh" looking enough for my taste; it's too "soft" for what it's supposed to represent).

On the positive side, the symbolism is Waite-based, and as such ensures continuity and familiarity. And to give credit where credit is due, most cards are beautifully rendered and the artwork is rich, vibrant and highly textured. Worthy of special note in my books: the Fool, the High Priestess, the Hermit, the Wheel of Fortune, the Sun, the Nine of cups, and all Aces and Knight cards.

In conclusion, I think this is one of those decks that one either loves or hates, or feels totally uncertain about. I like most of the cards, really love some of them, and really can't stand a handful of them. For now I will probably use this deck for one-card daily draws and for practise. As for more involved readings, I will probably wait and see if the Marchetti deck eventually grows on me, and in the meantime will use other decks.
on March 8, 2016
The beautiful new age astrology style and warm orange colour of the cards are eye catching. The cards are good quality, and its matt finish helps shuffling. Rider-Waite deck on the other hand, is sturdy but its glossy finish makes shuffling slippery to hold.

However, each card only features a few symbols/ illustrated objects, so beginners would have to keep referring to guide books for interpretations.

If you want more detailed symbols and illustrated objects and background (river, sky, mountains) on each card to help interpret without the need to keep opening reference books, do get the Rider-Waite tarot deck.

The included easy Tarot guide book is too short (a few paragraphs to about 1 page) on each card. For multiple pages of specific explanations on health , finance/career, spiritual, relationship, the present, the future outcome, reversed, blockage/ obstacle scenarios, I suggest Paul Fenton Smith's Tarot Revealed and Tarot Masterclass guide books, Sarah Barrlett's Tarot Bible. The Ultimate Guide to Rider Waite Tarot details every aspects/ symbols of each card so you can start reading meanings directly off the cards instead of keep relying on guide books.

For about $20, the easy Tarot cards are enjoyable to use, but you will likely need another guide book to accompany it.
on March 2, 2013
I simply love these cards!!! They are so beautiful and it is quite easy to work with them. Shuffling is easy. Reading goes fluently. By now it's definitely my favourite deck!
on January 8, 2013
I absolutely LOVE the cards, they drew me in the first time I saw them. I have tried to learn tarot a couple times over the years, but found the cards hard to learn, that is not the case with these! The accompanying book is very easy to understand, you feel as though Josie is talking to you as you're reading the first few chapters. The card descriptions are easy to remember when looking at the artwork on the cards, like you're looking at a situation. This is a true beginners book, and beautiful cards to enjoy and understand.
on October 29, 2014
I just recieved my tarot set today, and so far I haven't put the book down, I feel as if the author explains in depth but in a way that is understandable as if she where teaching you face to face. Very pleased so far and excited for all of the knowledge the book as well as the guidance of the cards that this set will bring
on August 16, 2008
I found the book so helpful. It helped me understand the various spreads and meanings of the cards more than any other Rider style deck.
The art work is beautiful and very well done. I would highly recommend this kit to anyone.
on August 6, 2014
I really enjoy the approach the author uses to explain each card, and its possible interpretations. The only thing I don't love about this deck is some of the illustrations - but that's just a personal preference.
on February 23, 2016
I love how colorful this cards is and very easy to read and learn from... if you're a beginner tarot card reader or just love the vivid colorful of the picture,,,you will love this..
on August 26, 2014
Gorgeous set, well written book. Unfortunately, I found it too overwhelming (information overload). I'm not knocking the product, it's just way too much to learn for my skill level.
on August 26, 2012
The most comprehensive, easiest way to learn Tarot at the intuition level.
I give it 10 stars! This has got to be the best system to learn and retain what you learn.