5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back old friend., Oct. 6 2005
Roger Leroux "leroy43" (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Hardcover)
I'm a fan of the funny pages in the newspaper. I keep my subscription to the Vancouver Sun as much for the comics page as I do for anything else they print, and there some days I'm so busy that all I get to read are the comics.
There are many strips I really enjoy: For Better or for Worse; Betty; Monty; Bizarro; Speed Bump; Fisher; Mutts; Dilbert; Adam; Ben; Big Nate; 9 Chickweed Lane. All of those are comics that I read daily; some of them are only available to me online because my papers don't carry them.
But if there's one strip that I just adored, it was Calvin and Hobbes.
"Calvin and Hobbes" - named after the 16th century theologian who believed in predestination, and the 17th century philosopher who called human life "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short" - follows the adventures of a boy with an adult's maturity and penchant for finding mischief. - ABC News
A couple of days ago, I received my copy of The Complete Calvin & Hobbes.
If you're a fan of Calvin and Hobbes, it's worth every penny. The books are beautifully bound and printed on nice heavy coated paper; this is the kind of binding and paper you might well expect of those tomes of artworks museums publish - they weigh a ton! This edition is definitely meant for the dedicated fan as a permanent addition to their personal library.
If you're daunted by the price, relax. If you bought every single book, you'd spend more and still not have all the comics. If you have all the books, but this set anyways.
The first volume includes a preface with the history of the strip and commentary by Bill Watterson, the cartoonist. It was educational reading about his battle with the comic syndicate over the licensing of spin off products like t-shirts, coffee mugs, greeting cards, plush toys, etc. Bill said no to all of that, and I admire him for both his reasons for that and more importantly standing by his principles. Any Calvin and Hobbes merchandise you find is bootleg.
My first adventures with Calvin and Hobbes were as a university student. The strip was funny and enjoyable and really appealing to me on many levels. I particularly enjoyed Calvin's snowmen and his irrepressible enthusiasm for adventure. Now, a decade after Bill Watterson put down his pens and ended the strip, I'm rediscovering the joy of his humour. As a parent, some of the strips are even more poignant and meaningful, and yes, funny; some have made me laugh so hard, I had tears in my eyes and difficulty breathing.
It's been like welcoming home an old dear friend that you haven't seen in too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Explore!, Feb. 15 2006
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Hardcover)
I am writing this on my birthday, having received this as a gift just yesterday. I can't think of a better gift for one's birthday! I have been a fan of Calvin and Hobbes for a very long time - indeed, I have given a lecture that drew upon images and actions of Calvin and Hobbes along with commentary based on their theological/philosophical counterparts. If you think about it, there is a good deal of Calvinist thinking in Calvin, and a good deal of Hobbesian philosophy in Hobbes. But that is, blessedly for most, not the main idea of the books here.
This beautifully produced three-volume set is the complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strips from the newspapers over the decade that Bill Watterson produced them. I have several paperback editions of these strips, but it invariably happens that a strip I remember is not among the ones I have. For example, for the longest time I searched for the one in which Calvin expresses his difficulty with mathematics, and Hobbes explains that this is nothing - wait until he reaches imaginary numbers (like eleventeen, thirty-twelve, and other such, which tigers of course have a natural instinct for). It might take some thumbing through to find things, but then, who would mind going through this glorious collection?
All of the characters are here - Calvin and Hobbes, and all the long-suffering around them: the teacher Miss Wormwood, Susie, Rosalyn the babysitter, and Calvin's parents (who are not mentioned by name in the strip). There are also the bit players (imaginary or not imaginary) characters such as aliens, the doctor, the principal, Moe, dinosaurs, and more. We re-learn the rules to Calvinball, and re-enter the club G.R.O.S.S. (which is an acronym that stands for Get Rid Of Slimy girlS).
There are three books, each about 500 pages each. It includes a good introduction with autobiographical information about Bill Watterson, who is known to be a reclusive figure, shying away from the limelight and avoiding marketing opportunities that might have made much more money (those images of Calvin on the various trucks and cars, seen in rather mischievous situations, are actually not authorized by Watterson). Watterson recounts part of his struggle to contain the world of Calvin and Hobbes into such a short space. He also discusses the difficulty and irony of dealing with characters that are very much a part of the culture they are at the same time critiquing. The strips are a bit smaller than might wish, but in order to keep all things in one collection (without going to another large volume, and adding to the already 20+ pounds of this one) I think the decision was a good one to go with the size here.
This makes a fabulous gift, for oneself and for friends. Calvin and Hobbes live forever in the world of imagination. Go explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection, Sept. 12 2013
Made a great gift. Everything was in good condition and arrived very fast. Awesome comics and nice to have all of them in one place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 5 2013
Rebecky - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So happy I bought this for my husband! He used to have them all individually, but sold them when he was younger. He and I, and our nieces and nephews and cousins and aunts, etc., all love Calvin and Hobbes. So many of the stories are so relatable, both for kids reading his adventures as Spaceman Spiff or adults remembering all the crazy, stupid things their children did and relating to the adults in the comic. I would definitely state this as my favourite cartoon strip, and recommend it to anyone who would listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it get any better than this?, June 13 2013
Bradley Lehigh (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Why are you even looking at the reviews? Just order already. Don't think, just scroll back up and order this box set of awesomeness

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello old friend!, May 28 2013
kathleen (Mississauga, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Hardcover)
The 80's to the mid nineties were a notable time in the history of comics due to the trifecta of Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes), Gary Larson (The Far Side) and Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County). When I found out about this collection it went to the top of the lists of gifts I wanted for Christmas. Happily my husband got it for me. It was wonderful to read all over again, and in order, from start to finish. The quality of the set is impeccable, you will not be dissappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, April 19 2013
This review is from: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Hardcover)
Calvin & Hobbes consumed most of my scholastic book orders in grade school. And having all the books in one refined collection is AMAZING! Love IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome books, Oct. 3 2005
Antoine RD (Montreal, Qc, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Hardcover)
I've received the books a few days ago. I've always been a fan of Calvin & Hobbes and this collection is a MUST!
Beleive me, this thing is heavy and huge. It's not 8x11 pages, but more something like 11x11. The paper is quality paper, not el cheapo paper.
For all the Calvin & Hobbes fans, you must get this collection. It's worth every penny and nobody can beat this price. If you get all the 23 books separatly, it'll cost you more than this and you won't have ALL the Calvin & Hobbes ever published!

5.0 out of 5 stars Always loved Calvin & Hobbes, July 11 2014
Always loved Calvin & Hobbes, i remember buying the first volume when it was published and I lost it on a trip to Toronto. I was so pleased to stumble on this set. It lives on top shelf of my bookcase now with other sets, with one book always open for a daily cartoon read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really is a masterpiece collection and a must have ..., July 6 2014
This review is from: The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Hardcover)
This really is a masterpiece collection and a must have for any fan of Calvin and Hobbes. The only problem is that in the delivery process mine arrived with "bumps" and "bruises" which is a little disapointing considering the value of these books.

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson (Hardcover - Sept. 1 2005)
CDN$ 175.00 CDN$ 109.72