‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Jan. 3 2012
This review is from: Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter (Paperback)
The trouble with ignorance is that one does not know one is ignorant, until one is no longer ignorant.

Though I've studied art in various forms for over two decades, until I've read this book I remained chiefly ignorant of Colour and Light.

As a reference, this book is an absolute must! It answered many questions that I did not know I had, and some I did not know how to ask.

James Gurney dissects theories of light and colour into an easy reference that is a pleasure to read. He approaches art from an artist's view, as well as a scientific view. The amount of his knowledge at times can be quite frightening. Before reading this book, I thought I knew quite a bit about working with colour. Now, I realize how much of my work was instinctive, and I can only anticipate improvement in my work when that instinct is tempered by my freshly gained knowledge.

Reading the table of contents should be enough to convince you that this book will be worth your money and your time. It does not hurt your decision making to know that Mr. Gurney's art is beautiful, or that it enriches this book with the art to text ratio of ~ 7: 3.

Lastly, when you are finished reading this book, if you feel that you still need further explanations, Mr. Gurney includes a list of books you can use to continue your study.

What else can I say?

'Colour and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter' by James Gurney is absolutely amazing. Thank you Mr. G for writing it, and I look forward to reading your other and future work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Colour and Light, Sept. 18 2011
There are plenty of books on anatomy and using painting materials but so few go into the depth needed to better understand colour and light. Gurney does an excellent job filling this largely ignored gap amongst art books. Every page is filled with examples and detailed descriptions about the topic on the page. Every two pages, Gurney tackles a new topic so there is plenty of useful material to absorb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any color enthusiast, Sept. 1 2011
Emmanuel Filteau "Go you" (Boucherville) - See all my reviews
This book covers so much it's incredible. I studied color theory, but it was never explained so clearly. If you have any use for color in your work, you should get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, July 10 2013
I only recently got into art and painting so I am definitely a beginner and this book is definitely not so much for people like me. However, it is an excellent book.

It's hard to recommend this book for a beginner but at the same time it feels like you would probably be wasting your money if you bought something else for the topics of light and colour.

The author talks about things that were nowhere even close to being on my radar as an "artist"; an eye opener to say the least. This book made me quickly realize how little I actually know about painting (a big plus in my books). It`s rare that an instructional book these days actually leaves you with a new found appreciation of the topic you are studying.

The author paints pictures that look better than some photographs, so needless to say he knows what he is talking about. There are tonnes of topics covered and each topic gets about two pages with usually about 2-3 paintings that the author uses to visually reference the topic being discussed. Two pages probably sounds pretty light but from my own personal experience that is usually enough to allow you to get inspired to just paint something instead of spending all of your time reading about it.

There is a lot of information here so I recommend you read it slowly and piece by piece. I tried giving the book the cover to cover treatment and it was a little too overwhelming (as a beginner).

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT buy for an artist, even if you hated Dinotopia =), Dec 14 2011
I'll be honest... I always HATED the Dinotopia series... never could get into it at all...
But the artwork on the covers was something I always admired, and the author's approach to discussing shape and especially light is wonderful in this book.

This is an excellent little book that speaks in a personal, experienced way I find refreshing - unlike many other instructional books designed to help an aspiring artist to "see", this one seems less mechanical and more like a first-person lesson in the ideas being expressed.

A good book for inspiration and an intermediate look into colour theory and the painting of light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book !, Oct. 13 2012
Diane C (Val-d'Or, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is one of the few books in my collection I feel I couldn't do without : the essential basic notions about real color and light elements are comprehensively grasped, explained and illustrated in a simple, yet clear and practical language. This is a must for any serious painter who wants to tackle any realistic subjects on the canvas - whether with or without dinosaurs in it ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing guide to applying and observing lighting and color techniques in painting., May 19 2014
Amazing guide to applying and observing lighting and color techniques in painting. One of the clearest demonstrations and explanations of color gamut and limited palette techniques ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo !, April 27 2012
What a great book . I found it to be a breath of fresh air
and a pleasent suprise . Very concise and informative. I really liked
the fact that it explained all the little nuances that many authors seem to assume we ( the reader )
already know. I have the other book from Mr Gurney as well ( the one that covers fantasy representation )
it is equally valuble.My respect for you and your commitment is immense. Great job sir Thank you!

Vincent R Goodeve

5.0 out of 5 stars For Intermediate & Advanced, Dec 19 2012
This is a wonderful book which I would recommend for intermediate and advanced artist who have some background knowledge and training in order to be able to really understand it. I wish this book was more indepth with each topic...but it touches each very briefly (most topics are covered in 2 pages). I think this also will serve as a reference book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, Jan. 30 2015
faeriemess - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is informative and well written. Very useful as a reference for artists. I am learning oils, and this book provides very useful painting techniques to make more realistic paintings with better use of lights and shadows and how to capture luminosity in paint. Excellent personal reference book for painters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney (Paperback - Nov. 30 2010)
CDN$ 28.99 CDN$ 18.17