‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any color enthusiast, Sept. 1 2011
Emmanuel Filteau "Go you" (Boucherville) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter (Paperback)
This book covers so much it's incredible. I studied color theory, but it was never explained so clearly. If you have any use for color in your work, you should get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Jan. 3 2012
Mili Fay - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The trouble with ignorance is that one does not know one is ignorant, until one is no longer ignorant.

Though I've studied art in various forms for over two decades, until I've read this book I remained chiefly ignorant of Colour and Light.

As a reference, this book is an absolute must! It answered many questions that I did not know I had, and some I did not know how to ask.

James Gurney dissects theories of light and colour into an easy reference that is a pleasure to read. He approaches art from an artist's view, as well as a scientific view. The amount of his knowledge at times can be quite frightening. Before reading this book, I thought I knew quite a bit about working with colour. Now, I realize how much of my work was instinctive, and I can only anticipate improvement in my work when that instinct is tempered by my freshly gained knowledge.

Reading the table of contents should be enough to convince you that this book will be worth your money and your time. It does not hurt your decision making to know that Mr. Gurney's art is beautiful, or that it enriches this book with the art to text ratio of ~ 7: 3.

Lastly, when you are finished reading this book, if you feel that you still need further explanations, Mr. Gurney includes a list of books you can use to continue your study.

What else can I say?

'Colour and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter' by James Gurney is absolutely amazing. Thank you Mr. G for writing it, and I look forward to reading your other and future work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing guide to applying and observing lighting and color techniques in painting., May 19 2014
Amazing guide to applying and observing lighting and color techniques in painting. One of the clearest demonstrations and explanations of color gamut and limited palette techniques ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, July 10 2013
I only recently got into art and painting so I am definitely a beginner and this book is definitely not so much for people like me. However, it is an excellent book.

It's hard to recommend this book for a beginner but at the same time it feels like you would probably be wasting your money if you bought something else for the topics of light and colour.

The author talks about things that were nowhere even close to being on my radar as an "artist"; an eye opener to say the least. This book made me quickly realize how little I actually know about painting (a big plus in my books). It`s rare that an instructional book these days actually leaves you with a new found appreciation of the topic you are studying.

The author paints pictures that look better than some photographs, so needless to say he knows what he is talking about. There are tonnes of topics covered and each topic gets about two pages with usually about 2-3 paintings that the author uses to visually reference the topic being discussed. Two pages probably sounds pretty light but from my own personal experience that is usually enough to allow you to get inspired to just paint something instead of spending all of your time reading about it.

There is a lot of information here so I recommend you read it slowly and piece by piece. I tried giving the book the cover to cover treatment and it was a little too overwhelming (as a beginner).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book !, Oct. 13 2012
Diane C (Val-d'Or, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is one of the few books in my collection I feel I couldn't do without : the essential basic notions about real color and light elements are comprehensively grasped, explained and illustrated in a simple, yet clear and practical language. This is a must for any serious painter who wants to tackle any realistic subjects on the canvas - whether with or without dinosaurs in it ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, May 30 2014
Among the best, if not THE best book I have read on light and colour. This is not just a 'how to' book, but provides deeper insight into the why light behaves as it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Feb. 24 2014
I've painted for years but upon reading this book I realized there is always so much more to know and learn about colour. I have never been afraid of colour, but it can be a hard thing to control at times. I've only just started reading but I am already perplexed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good reference, June 13 2013
bigbird_2006 (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
I can't really add anything to what the other reviewers have said. Great book that get's your creative juices flowing while educating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Feb. 24 2013
It is set up like a text book but it's not a dry read. Incredibly helpful to student who wants to learn how to paint. Also, it's useful reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Detailed Information, Jan. 28 2013
Each topic provides clear but detailed information and good illustrations. I read a lot of books about painting and this is one of the best I have come across.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney (Paperback - Nov. 30 2010)
CDN$ 28.99 CDN$ 18.17