5.0 out of 5 stars This Isn't Tinkerbell!
I became interested in this deck after doing a research assignment into faeries as part of my tradition study. While I'd been taught that faeries weren't your Tinkerbell variety, this deck brought to light many other aspects that I had never experienced.
Published on July 9 2003 by Rhiannon Solana

3.0 out of 5 stars Neutral really
i have had this deck for a while now. it's not THAT bad, but the cards are just trying so hard to be art. if you can't get past the fact that it's Brian Froud, you'll never be able to use the actual oracle. read the book, keeps the journal, it really does help. But ignore what the book says the cards mean. they'll only really be able to help you if you have a good...
Published on Dec 27 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars This Isn't Tinkerbell!, July 9 2003
Rhiannon Solana (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
This isn't a deck to take lightly. These faeries will make their way into your life in ways you never expected. I found that once I started working with these cards I couldn't get them out of my mind. One day I found myself promising the Fee Lion that I would get the dishes done as soon as I finished watching a television show!
The artwork on these cards is detailed when appropriate, while some of the work is very abstract. Froud has really done a wonderful job.
Jessica Macbeth displays a gift for communcating with the faeries and making their sometimes very complex natures easy to understand for someone just starting out. What I really enjoyed was how she guided you through learning how to interept the cards on your own, and encourages you not to rely only on her writings.
This is a deck for someone who is willing to get involved, and to think about what they're seeing/learning and finding the answer within rather than in a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars They found me, Dec 2 2003
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
I was wandering around a bookstore when I heard voices calling out to me. They kept saying, "Find us!" over and over; always followed with giggles. I searched through each aisle following the voices and when I got to the New Age section I knew the voices were coming from the other end. I continued down the isle and had never heard of "The Faeries Oracle" but I knew that's where the voices were coming from. I picked up the case and heard a tiny "Thank you" and went striaght to the check out counter. I've always been connected to the Faeries and have great fun with them on a daily basis. That's not to say they don't hide my keys and many other small items but I still enjoy them none-the-less. "The Faeries Oracle" is a must have for all who enjoy the company of the Faeries. . . or would like to enjoy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical faery card deck, March 27 2004
Kelli Riffle "kelliko70" (Princeton, WV, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
I have very little attraction to faery decks but this one I can't seem to part with. It is a beautiful,and sometimes, haunting deck. I keep it mainly for personal use and do not read for others with it. The images are gorgeous and curious-looking, if one is not familiar with the faeries in all their manifestations. The book is great--hardback and very durable--and filled with information about the cards and faeries that is easy to understand. It is a beautiful deck to use or just to add to the collectors shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Tinkerbell here!, Feb. 12 2003
Russell Weems (Smithville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
Froud/Macbeth's Faeries' Oracle is NOT a pretty, soft, angelic faeries production, of which you may be aware if you have seen any of Froud's previous faery artwork. Even looking at the spelling signifies that Froud is, and always has been, interested in looking at the true nature of the fae, the Pre-Disney sanitized, unsugar-coated variety of fae. They are not always pretty and sweet, and of course they do not wear clothing (those monstrous humans and their gross rags!!!). The deck does have a sense of fae humor and laughs at itself, as well as you! I admire this deck greatly for evincing the ancient spirit of the fae creatures, whose folklore span centuries and continents. They do typify the European fae, from times when woods were deep and dark and we didn't think we knew everything about this world.
It also makes a wonderful oracle deck. The benefit I see it having is that it is not a tarot deck. It doesn't have historically set meanings and centuries of meaning strung on; therefore, a reader of this deck must, and is encouraged by the authors, to use intuition and insight to glean meaning from the presented fae. The whole experience takes one into another world, if the reader is willing to go there.
If you are looking for cutesy little angelic feminine pixies with sweet little wings, then go to your local Hallmark store. If you want the elemental denizens that exist between worlds and can carry you between them. Get this deck NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Artwork, and a different FUN kind of oracle, Oct. 29 2000
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
If, like me, you're a fan of Froud's work, then this is an absolute must-have. I've not been *wildly* impressed by the slightly silly direction some of his recent work has taken - LADY COTTINGTON, and STRANGE SMELLS, for example - but I do love these weird quirky little creatures he draws.
If you like them too, well, now there's a deck of 66 of them (65, with a blank card so you can include your own fairy guide). Some of the cards are abstract, but the vast majority are classic Froud. Various styles of the artist's work are represented, ranging from the almost monochrome pencil sketches to his trademark pics that seem to be bursting at the seams with fairies.
You'll find some favourites in the illustrations ('The Fairy who was kissed by the Pixies' is one of mine) and other old friends from 'Good Fairies, Bad Fairies.'
As for the divination side of things, the deck is accompanied by a beautifully produced hardback book (200 pages) written by Jessica Macbeth (Author of books on meditation MOON OVER WATER and SUN OVER MOUNTAIN). It covers topics such as making faerie contacts, how the deck was created, and suggested methods of reading the cards, together with informative (and fun) discussions of the individual illustrations.
Unlike COTTINGTON and SMELLS, this is a serious book - er, as 'serious' as anything concerning faerie can be, that is...
To quote from the first section of the book: "First take a good look at your attitude. Are you really serious about this? Do you believe you will need to work hard with the cards?
"If so, please, don't be like that . As much as you can, let yourself approach the cards and the faeries with a light and playful heart."
Even if you have no interest in divination, I defy you not to enjoy reading the book. And I had a friend of mine, the fairy mage Muzobobio look over the text, and he jumped up and down three times, spun round, and put his hands in the air. This is his way of saying 'Right on the money!'
I recommend this package with no reservations. Even if you feel it's not for you, it's hard to think of a better gift for a Froud fan, for someone who's into divination, or for any lover of faeries!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Faeries are Here!, July 3 2003
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
This Oracle is awesome! The cards, are beautifully created with rich and diverse symbolism that is actually quite contrary in some cases. I think that his connection to the Fae pervades through every single piece of art he creates and this deck is no exception. The book written by Jessica MacBeth provides great direction for how to connect with the world of Faery and guides the reader but lets them go at the same time. I discovered my connection to the world of Faeries through this deck and for that I am truly grateful and thankful. For those with a serious interest in seeing the world of the Sidhe, the Tuatha de Danaan, the Shining Ones, I highly recommend this Oracle!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Faery Thought, Jan. 9 2003
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
One day I walked into a great little store I know to buy a Tarot deck for my Husband, because well our daughter spilt chocolate milk on the ones we had. The young lady working there, of psychic goodness, offered that she had a deck for me and believed it would be the one in which "I" should have. So I walked out of that store with a deck she offered for my husband and the "Faery Oracle" for me.
My life has changed in ways I could not possibly explain without writing and drawing and taking you through all I now see and the doors that have been opened to my heart, spirit being, and pure exisitence of energy. The Faery were always with me from a young age and I drew them always, played when permitted. In some way or another I lost touch with them, the troll who now dwells next to the river that which flows of indigo through our living room has no offer of even guess, and well for a troll, in his silence I found truth. Ni, my guide, my faithful friend, over my shoulder always and well lets just say it's nice to have your realm touch again. As our flow goes, they have returned. I truly missed them and am so at home with their return. My paintings and many forms of faery work are well on their way and well me and the faery dance every night. Thank-you. A faery with her hair in braids and her spirit shares with thee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, May 21 2002
Amazon Customer (Warsaw, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
When I purchased this deck, I was browsing for a new Tarot/Oracle deck. I was waiting for something to jump out and yell BUY ME! This deck didn't jump and yell as much as it fluttered into my hands and got comfy.

I had seen Brian's work before without knowing it, but it's familiarity is one of the things that drew me. When I actually opened the box...WOW! These cards blew me away. They spoke to me immediately. I felt as though I were returning to play with my oldest and best childhood friends, only now as an adult, I can see the teachings of the games we play.
The book that accompanies this deck is one that could stand alone. The artwork and descriptions of each faerie and his/her personality is just plain fun! I must agree with another reviewer who says that this set is underpriced! I would pay what I payed for the set for the book alone. I find myself snuggling under an afghan with a cup of tea re-reading it just to chase away rainy day blues. Beautiful art, wonderful writing.
If you are looking for something that will comfort, guide, teach and amuse you, look no further. This is absolutely it!!!! If you were ever a child and would like to be one again, listen... the faeries are inviting you to come and play!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, Beautiful, and unlike any other, June 15 2001
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
Feeling connected with Faeries most of my life, they were pulling on my hair, telling me to purchase this. Being a big fan of Brian Froud's work on Good Faeries/Bad Faeries, and his other projects (Dark Crystal, etc) I really wanted to give this a try. When I received my order, I couldn't put it down. The book that comes with this deck is by the kindest-hearted person, Jesa Macbeth. Her words and wisdom will help you to produce the kind of results you are looking for.
Each of the Oracle cards have it's own personality and feel. When you go through the deck, you will find faeries that you are drawn to and faeries that you are not drawn to. These are important to note to yourself. These Oracle cards are not like Tarot cards. Tarot cards tend to be 'serious' and uptight. The meanings are harder to develop on your own. With these Oracle cards, the Faeries encourage you to laugh, sing, cry, do whatever you like. There are no rules, only that you feel comfortable with the cards and the message the Fae may be sending to you.
Also, if you purchase these cards, or if you are curious to what more people think (who own the cards), you should check out the Faeries' Oracle e-group. ...
Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars UNDERPRICED in my opinion!! :), Feb. 12 2001
Crystal Gypsy (TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faeries' Oracle (Hardcover)
I just bought the Faeries' Oracle today. I had been using a tarot deck for divination, but I can see that I may have a difficult time getting back to my tarot cards now that I have this Faerie Deck!
The artwork on the cards in absolutely stunning! I really love it. Froud is a wonderful artist. The expressions on the faces of the faerie are so telling of what the card means. This is not like tarot, where you have to figure out what one man standing alone on a hill is supposed to mean. This deck is so much easier to interpret, especially if you want to make up your own meanings instead of going by the book's definitions.
Jessica MacBeth gives a wonderful exercise in the beginning to teach you how to interpret a few cards. I was extrememly impressed by the results I received by answering the simple questions she asked. I was able to make sense out of even the abstract cards! I have a lot of trouble doing this with my tarot deck. I won't give away the secret of what happens after you do this exercise, but I can tell you that it was wonderfully insightful.
I was so impressed with the deck and book, I immediately joined Jessica's internet mailing list to discuss the deck with others. I highly recommend this oracle to anyone interested in divination, faeries, or if you just love Brian Froud's artwork! The combination of the three plus the wonderful book by Jessica MacBeth is really something else!! You won't regret buying this! :)

Faeries' Oracle
Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud (Hardcover - Oct. 31 2000)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80