4.0 out of 5 stars beware of used copies
Published on July 3 2004 by Grace

2.0 out of 5 stars The $ is in the test
The book comes with a login code for the strength finder test. The $ you pay for this book is really for the test. I found the majority of the book to be generic and focused on how they came up with the test and the criteria behind it. If I knew then I would of found a way to pay for for the test only and not get the book.
Published 6 months ago by Jeffrey O. Apuada

4.0 out of 5 stars beware of used copies, July 3 2004
Grace (Syracuse area, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now, Discover Your Strengths: How to Build Your Strengths and the Strengths of Every Person in Your Organization (Hardcover)
An integral part of this book is the online profile. Each copy of this book comes with a unique PIN number inside the book jacket. If you buy a used copy, the PIN number may be already used, and thus will not allow you to use the online profile. However, the book is still interesting if you enjoy reading through the signature themes and guessing what your profile would have uncovered. It is also fun to read each theme and think of people you know who come to mind, and consider ways in which you can support their strengths.
I would give this book 5 stars if an unlimited number of people could use the online profile with each book purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars See Yourself and Others in a New Way, Jan. 23 2002
Bradley A. Swope (State College, PA USA) - See all my reviews
REVIEW: While I am generally disappointed with sequels, this book didn't disappoint and stands on its own (see "First Break All the Rules"). "Now" focuses on the individual (except the last two chapters) and their inate strengths. It goes into detail on the 34 different types of talents/strengths that the authors found in their research. "Now" is based on two simple themes: (1) each person's talents are enduring and unique, and (2) each person's greatest room for growth lies in their greatest strengths (not in improving their weaknesses as so much of our society is focused on). "Now" will help you recognize strengths (yours and other) which is the first step to capitalizing on them. I now find myself regularly thinking in terms of the strengths concept when making working decisions. By the way, you don't have to read "First, Break All the Rules" before reading this book. In fact, I recommend this one first! Also, "First" focused on the manager and how he/she should think and act differently in terms of the authors discoveries on talents and strengths whereas "Now" focusses on the individual.
This book was also the first book that I've read that included an on-line component. The on-line test took me about 30 min to complete and gave me my top 5 strengths. After reading the detailed descriptions in the book, I believe the test correctly hit 4 out of 5 with the 5th one a close runner-up.
STRENGTHS: The book is easy to read and full of examples. I found the concepts and content very well thought out and very effective at changing my thinking.
WEAKNESSES: I note some weaknesses, but they were at most annoying and not significant enough to prevent me from enjoying or highly recommending the book. First, as in the "First" book, no index. Second, while the book has lots of examples, a number seemed to be thrown in to touch popular or emotional topics rather than being solid support for the specific topic being discussed.
WHO SHOULD READ THIS BOOK: The book is probably best suited to professionals and knowledge workers with an interest in better understanding themselves and those around them. If you're interested in increasing your own effectiveness and the effectiveness of your relationships with others this book is for you.
ALSO CONSIDER: Of course, "First Break All the Rules" by Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman [either before or after this book]. "The Effective Executive" by Peter F. Drucker.

4.0 out of 5 stars A point well taken, but..., July 7 2006
The idea of the book is to help you find your talents, build your strengths, which will in turn, improve your performance.

Building your strengths is indeed somthing that is often overlooked, as most of the time we seek to improve our weaknesses- that's a point well taken- and a good reason to buy the book. However two more things also need to be mentioned. First, why can't we work on building both our strengths AND our weaknesses? In other words, why do we have to necessarily pick just one? I feel that many weaknesses can be improved upon.

Secondly, discovering your talents and doing what you're good at may not necessarily improve your performance. Why? Because there are lots of things we're good at, but still hate to do nonetheless. For instance, I'm really good at cleaning houses and debating, but I don't like to really do either one. People really perform well when its something that they know how to do AND when there's something meaningful/important in it for them. Anyway, just some food for thought. Readers may also be interested in The Sixty-Second Motivator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!, April 15 2014
I was exteremely inpressed that my strengths are exactly what I thought.

This book should be available for everyone in all organizations. So much people could learn about themselves.

Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, April 14 2014
This book helped me realize that my greatest assets (that I always thought were a hindrance) are indeed what will propel me to success. Fantastic book with spot on advice and guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars or StrengthFinder 2.0, Jan. 28 2014
probably the most influential book in self awareness and understanding the natural tendencies of my supervisors, peers, client, and staff
a more multi-dimensional assessment model of the personality strengths that allow business to suceed

2.0 out of 5 stars The $ is in the test, Oct. 9 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Must Must have!, Aug. 5 2013
If you don't know how you can contribute to your organization, team, and where you can be all that you can be, you should definitely get this!! It gave me such a wonderful insight into myself and the strengths that I have that I didn't even know I possess. All of my friends who I've given this book to loves the insight this book has allowed them to see and learn which fields of work they can go into and how they may help their teams. Even if you don't need this, it'd be great to see what others like you have succeed into fulfilling and becoming just by drawing on the strengths they have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight., June 26 2013
This book was fabulous. It really helped me gain insight into what I'm already good at and build on those strengths instead of suppressing them. It's given me more confidence to follow the path that I have in my heart rather than slaving away to make ends meet.
Though I don't take it as gospel, it will be interesting to take the test again in a couple of years and see how the results compare. (they claim that they remain similar through your life which I actually kind of doubt).
But it gave me a really good starting point of things that I can be working on to maximize my strengths. Also it gave me insight into building a future organization built on people's strengths.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book provides access to Strengthsfinder tool, March 11 2013
The book and the strengthsfinder tool, help you learn more about your own strengths. It provides you with a description of the real you, the strong you!

ARRAY(0xb1247c24)