4.0 out of 5 stars beware of used copies
Published on July 3 2004 by WeaverGrace

3.0 out of 5 stars Good message but ...
The authors definitely presented some contrarian - if not completely original - thinking. The book started out promising and did indeed contain some gems, but I was left somewhat unsatisfied, given some of the stellar reviews I had read here.
I felt they included a good bit of filler to make 257 pages. I would have rather they spent more time on a complete review of...
Published on May 3 2003 by Shannon Gaw

4.0 out of 5 stars beware of used copies, July 3 2004
WeaverGrace (Syracuse area, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now, Discover Your Strengths: How to Build Your Strengths and the Strengths of Every Person in Your Organization (Hardcover)
An integral part of this book is the online profile. Each copy of this book comes with a unique PIN number inside the book jacket. If you buy a used copy, the PIN number may be already used, and thus will not allow you to use the online profile. However, the book is still interesting if you enjoy reading through the signature themes and guessing what your profile would have uncovered. It is also fun to read each theme and think of people you know who come to mind, and consider ways in which you can support their strengths.
I would give this book 5 stars if an unlimited number of people could use the online profile with each book purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take these lessons beyond the work place, July 1 2004
By A Customer
Excellent read, Clifton gives clarity and tools for success. I enjoyed the online inner strength tests very much and found it fascinating. While Clifton gives us the the key to unlocking our abilities and the confidence to pursue the path, it is up to us to take the journey.
I have taken this book and its philosophies into my personal life as well, filling everyday.
Everyone has different things that can free them further.
I started singing because I had always secretly found that to be exhilerating. I bought singing lessons on CD off of Amazon,
"Voice lessons To Go" by Vaccarino- fantastic!
I also purchased and carefully followed the "New Sex Now" video by Arte with my husband- it was mind blowing for us.
Just those two examples show how much I have removed my own personal fear in life. The kind that held me back and locked my strengths in. You know the strength is there in any crisis, why not manifest them into your eveyday? How powerful is that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Now, Discover Your Strengths, June 6 2004
anthony (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
The main theme of this book centers around the fact that we focus so much on our weaknesses that we sometimes don't realize what our strengths are. Essentially, our strengths are usually neglected, while we work to correct our obvious weaknesses. As the title states, this book will help you identify your strengths via a strengthfinder Profile that you take over the internet. (You will receive a identification number that allows you access to the Strengthfinder Profile) This Web-based interview analyzes your answers and then presents you with your five most powerful signature themes. Once your themes have been identified, you can then utilize the book to show you how to most effectively work utilizing those identified strengths. Equally important, reading this book will help you gain an understanding of other people's strengths as well. This alone could make you a more effective team member. The book's purpose is to help both your individual development and your managerial development if applicable. This book shows how a total of 34 dominant "themes" can best be translated into personal and career success. You will learn a lot about yourself by completing the Strengthfinder Profile. That, alone, is well worth your time. Yet, the book is a tremendous compliment to the profile. Where else can you receive the opportunity to identify your strengths and then learn to use those strengths effectively?

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has strengths . . . and a weakness or two., May 11 2004
Before I begin, first let me state that this is an excellent book. It is valuable for everyone to read.
STRENGTHS: Like most programs of this sort, the StrengthsFinder inventory repeats back to you just what you told it. It doesn't create your profile, it reveals it. This book will help you become more self aware. This book is written in a simple style with easy to read "bullets" that will help you get the most out of your particular make up. The strengths covered by this book are phrased differently than the typical personality profile, a welcome relief for those who know only the Myers/Briggs format.
WEAKNESSES: First, I am not convinced that we are predisposed with a particular make up. There is truth to our makeups, but we can also be changed by outside influences. I took this inventory and read the book as part of a training seminar in a room filled with religious people. You might imagine the internal struggle that took place in that room when the instructor reported that some people are more religious than others, not because they really have a religious belief, but because their make up was predisposed toward religion. The book is not so blunt as that instructor, but this will be one idea you may wrestle with.
Second, as with all such books and inventories, they sometimes become self-fullfilling prophecies. It is possible to act a certain way because that is the way we BELIEVE we are wired. I've taken MANY inventories through the years and taken them many times. I am not so impressed with how similar they all turn out, as by how different I am.
My opinion: This book is interesting and refreshing. Do not let my negative comments stop you from reading it. I would not have given it **** had it not been worth the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Constructive Reading, Jan. 31 2004
"Now, Discover Your Strengths" by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O.
Clifton is a fun and useful read. The premise is that we spend
too much time trying to understand and repair our weaknesses when
we should instead be developing our natural strengths.
The Gallup International Research & Education Center developed a
strengths profile based on psychological information gathered
over many years of study. The book comes with a code you can plug
into Strengthsfinder.com and enter your responses to profile
questions. Strengthsfinder then analyzes your information and
provides a report of your five top strengths.
I completed the Strengthsfinder profile and found it to be quite
accurate and helpful in pointing out my greatest strengths.
Another part I found very useful was the chapter on how to manage
other people based on their strengths profiles. When I read how a
person with my strengths should be managed I truly thought, "Wow,
I wish I had a boss that managed me like this! I'd be a top
performer!" Again, I thought their analysis was right on.
I recommend this book as an enjoyable and practical business and
career builder tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book defective--no review possible--UPDATE, Nov. 23 2003
J. Tortorelli - See all my reviews
This is a follow-on to "First, Break All The Rules"
I paid for the new book, but it arrived without the code required to conduct that partnered web profile. Amazon initially said I would have to contact the publisher for resolution, although from the generic nature of the reply I doubt my customer service request was even read by a human.
Eventually, a real person contacted me and sent a replacement/exchange.
This book did not have the same systematic rigor as its predecessor. There was no clear relationship between the many strengths that were listed. It would have been very useful if there was some kind of comparison table or a taxonomic tree/flow chart that relates the strengths. It was also unclear how the 'talents' of the first book related to the 'strengths' of this book.
All that said, these two books represent the ONLY business study I would consider scientific. I do not know of another study that looked at average or poor performers and compared them with the top performers to find the real differences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mentoring, not hand-holding, Oct. 15 2003
By A Customer
I've read quite a few of these kinds of books starting way back when with "What Color is Your Parachute," through "The Acorn Principle" and "Please Understand Me." This has been a long-term process of discovering my interests, talents, abilities, skills, knowledge, preferences, and potential - always with the intention of finding my true calling in life.
But this book is not just another addition to that list; this is a superior method for focusing in on very specific talents and strengths and clarifying your own thinking about your life choices. The assessment and categories of strengths are more straightforward than taking the Meyers-Briggs or other similar tests. The book confirms some of what I already knew, but completely clarified the concept of natural talent combined with skills and knowledge creating the strengths that one can use throughout their life.
People have complained in other reviews that some of the book is "fluff" or that it doesn't tell you what job to go get. This is only true for people who want one 250-page book to answer some of the greatest of life's questions. I greatly appreciate that the authors give simple, straightforward examples and their own theories quickly and pointedly. They leave it up to ME to make decisions based on that information.
If you are prepared to do the work over the course of time and use this book as a mentor (not a nanny who tells you what to do) you will gain great insight into yourself and your path.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Follow-Up, Oct. 2 2003
K. Kaczmarek "The things you own, end up owni... (Allen Park, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
Now, Discover your Strengths (NDYS) is the follow-up of First, Break all the Rules and generates answers to many of those burning questions left from FBATR. The book starts out with three chapters discussing what a strength based organization is, and provides an overview of some concepts taken from FBATR. If you recently read FBATR, you could easily skip to the assessment test, and work thru the rest of the book with your test results.
The 4th chapter is an overview of all 34 strength possibilities. While it is good to know each of the strengths to understand your employees/co-workers, you could easily just breeze thru the chapter and save your disection of each of the strengths till chapter six, where they discuss how to manage an employee of each strenght.
The final chapter gives an implementation plan to make your organization a strengths based organization. Overall the book is laid out very similiarly to FBATR, and at times overlaps stories and concepts, but does provide additional insight into the workings of people.
Lastly, if you are like me, and wanted to take the assessment test before you read the book, see the reverse side of your book jacket. Hopefully this little tidbit will save you an email to their tech support

5.0 out of 5 stars Know Thyself, Sept. 23 2003
A Reader (Montclair, NJ) - See all my reviews
In our culture, there is a strong emphasis on identifying our perceived weaknesses and shortcomings and trying to fix what we believe to be wrong with us in relationships, in the workplace and in all aspects of our lives. In Now, Discover Your Strengths, authors Marcus Buckingham & Donald O. Clifton offer a refreshing and exciting approach to living with excellence and success. Rather than focusing on our weaknesses, discovering our strengths and becoming aware of our natural talents allows for growth and consistent excellence. I especially appreciated the authors' discussion of people's habitual reluctance to examine, discover or even acknowledge their strengths and our tendency to credit successes to luck or circumstances. This reveals how there is so much more available to people in the way of success and satisfaction by including and taking credit for our strengths in our identity. Noticing and identifying our natural behaviors and innate talents - our strengths - that set us apart and support us allows these strengths to expand and develop with consistency. Another excellent book that explores all that is possible when you discover that you are not your weaknesses is Working On Yourself Doesn't Work: A Book About Instantaneous Transformation by Ariel and Shya Kane. Like Now, Discover Your Strengths, this book identifies the traditional and habitual ways that people relate to their lives and environment and offers a different approach that is revolutionary. The Kanes suggest that simply with awareness, which they define as a "non-judgemental way of seeing," you can act appropriately and naturally in your life. This book is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in having it all.

1.0 out of 5 stars So, what?, Sept. 20 2003
By A Customer
Do not buy the book for your own use. You get to know your strengths, basically things you see anyway through how you do things, but there is no advice in the book on how actually apply this knowledge about yourself!!!
An I am doubtful about the quality of the test, since I took it twice, one with a time limit, another without, since I had to use a dictionary an understand the questions without an adrenalin rush; AND THE RESULTS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!
So which test is right then? When one just pushes some buttons in a rush or thinks about how one is approaching tasks or people generally in his life?
Probably this is due to English as a second language, but I even had to think about a simple questions.
The problem with the test I believe is that there are strange pairings of the questions whether one eigher always inclined to push a little bit to the right or to the left in order not to be mediocre by saying neutral. Or actually wonders how do they use ones neutral answer as both answers weighted equally or as non of the above???
And to say it once more what do I do with the answers about myself?
I expected more from the book.

CDN$ 38.00 CDN$ 23.83