5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective - Result Oriented
I bought this book along with another called "5 Days to a Perfect Night's Sleep for Your Child" by Eduard Estivill. I strongly recommend that you buy both and start with the latter.
Published on Jan. 22 2009 by Walker Pautz

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware, does NOT work for all babies!!!!!
I liked some of the sleep facts in this book and was determined to give it a good try. Did not work at all for my son at 7 months or at 10 months. At 7 months I thought it was working after 3 nights as his crying was reduced and he did fall asleep on his own, but was unpleasently surprised when all of a sudden the next day he would cry EVERY TIME we brought him into his...
Published on Feb. 19 2010 by Chelsea

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective - Result Oriented, Jan. 22 2009
Walker Pautz (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: New, Revised, and Expanded Edition (Paperback)
Estivill's book recommends a method that is basically the same. Ferber calls it the "progressive waiting technique" because after putting your baby to sleep, you go visit him (or her) every now and then until he falls asleep, but the time between those visits gets progressively longer.
This may sound simple and really it is, but of course it is very difficult for some people to hear their baby cry, even if it is only for 1 or 2 minutes. People think it is cruel, there is even an expression "to Ferberize your baby". Sadly that is a wide-spread misconception. This is NOT a cry out method. A cry it out method would have you leave your baby to cry at 7:30 or 8 pm and not return until morning regardless of the amount of crying. Ferber says right in the intro that would be cruel.
His method allows your baby to know that he is not abandoned or forgotten, but also that he cannot control your movements and that he may as well fall asleep. And more importantly, it allows his environment to be the same during his night wakings, as it was when he fell asleep. Nobody who was there then is suddenly disappeared now, vanished into thin air.
Once he can fall asleep on his own at bedtime, he can also fall back asleep on his own after nighttime wakings. Teaching your baby to fall asleep, or back asleep, on his or her own is an important gift you need to give him or her. It would actually be cruel do to otherwise. If you are too weak to hear him cry for a few minutes during this method, you are going to instead make him cry several times a night for months if not years. Every time he wakes he cries, and every time you go through your crazy routine you steal precious sleep time from his night. That is unhealthy, not just psychologically but physiologically to.
I say all this because I know that you are probably considering the No-Cry sleep solution. You may have read that there is a debate, that Sears and Ferber are at two extremes of a spectrum, that Sears is compassionate and Ferber is for heartless vulcans. Well, I have not read the Sears books, but I would recommend that you avoid them. The parents I know who have bought it are still having trouble with sleeping.
Everybody is jealous of our baby and how much sleep we get. They may think it is genetic, that he is a natural good sleeper. While there may some truth to that, I think that the genetic lottery is at most half the story. If anything, this method is even more important if you don't have a natural good sleeper, if such a thing exists.
I recommend that you buy and start with the Estivill book because it is very short yet everything you need to know is there. Ferber is much thicker, goes into much more detail and covers many more types of situations, like sleep walking for example. So it is also a long term investment. We may need it again is some years.
I urge BOTH PARENTS to read the books before starting the method. At the very least you should both read Estivill, then you will be tempted to start. Do so and read Ferber the next day. We did it when our son was only 4 months old, so we only had to read chapters 1,3,4 and 6 in Ferber.
That is perhaps its one main weakness. It is sometimes unclear if some technique he explains is applicable to 4 month old babies, 4 year old toddlers or both.
Also, try to phase out the night feedings before starting this method. And of course bedtime routines. Every night around the same time we give him a warm bath in a vertical tub, take him to our bedroom to rub some balm around the diaper area, go to his bedroom for some breastfeeding, then the same book, then the same song, then it is time for night-night. My girlfriend does all of this except I sometimes give him the bath.
Now 6 months he sleeps from 8pm to 8am. He still gets a night feeding around 5am, but does not usually cry out before or after that. So yes, 9 hours generally uninterrupted, then another 3 hours uninterrupted. We could and should get rid of that last night feeding, but my girlfriend seems OK with it so I don't insist.
I'd say good luck, but again, luck has nothing to do with it. Be smart and talk it over.

5.0 out of 5 stars A turned believer, Oct. 16 2012
As a first time mom, I'd heard about the "Cry it out" Method and was adamant that it was cruel, heartless and worse that it would psychologically damage and create an insecure cry baby. For this reason, I subscribed to Sears "Attachment Parenting" for 6 + months of my son's life. I ended up being SUPER exhausted, depressed and wondering if I will ever have the energy to have another one. This is because what Sears fails to tell you is that "Attachment Parenting" is UNREALISTIC! You are on demand 24/7 and contrary to advice that your baby will sleep through the night! They do NOT! Mine was erratic with his nighttime wakings, some nights he was up 3-4 times a night, some nights 1-2. I did everything to make sure my son slept through the night with the "no cry solution" i.e. bedtime routine, nursing on demand, cluster feeding, dream feeds and nothing worked. I started to label my son as a "bad sleeper". I decided to take a poll of parents around me and started to ask who had used a cry it out and who hadn't. Without fail, I found that parents who didn't have the courage to do the cry it out STILL had sleep issues. The worst I'd heard was a parent whose son didn't sleep through the night until the age of 7!!!!! All these parents advice to me was that they regretted not having tried the a cry it out type of method. All the parents that had sleep trained through a cry it out method had babies and kids that slept through the night. I decided to investigate cry it out methods and realized all my beliefs about this technique were wrong. To make your child cry will NOT damage them and is the GREATEST gift you can give them as it allows them to learn coping tools to self rely and put themselves to sleep. My husband and I decided to take the plunge and picked Ferber's method as it allowed our son to know we are still here. To hear him cry was REALLY hard. I always say, I wish I could hear my son's cry with my ears not my heart. But the truth is I don't. But within days I saw MAJOR improvements, he was pulling 8-9 hours of sleep. Something he has NEVER done. And his crying became less dramatic. The best part is he was playful and super happy, unlike what I feared that his happy demeanor before would disappear. That is why I think Ferber really understands sleep problems and as an earlier reviewer said, it would be cruel not to teach your child how to sleep. Sleep deprivation over the years will accumulate and yes that will impact their potential in life. I think a big part of being a parent is the acceptance that we may have to do things that require courage and will not be pleasing to our children but they are to teach them valuable lessons. They look to us to guide them to give them the best chance at life. Sleep training is the beginning of that lesson for both parents and child. PLEASE DO NOT FORGO THIS CHANCE FOR YOUR FAMILY! The No Cry Solutions do not work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best advice you can get!, March 8 2014
After 4 months of limited sleep and great difficulty putting our daughter to bed this book and the methods outlined did the trick. The issues and solutions outlined are logical and easy to follow. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone with a child having difficulty sleeping

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Aug. 22 2013
Very helpful, good suggestions, read it before your baby develops trouble. Helps to create good habits. Wouldn't be without this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby went from 6 night waking to 0 in 2 days!, Nov. 24 2012
So I bought this book when my daughter was 4 months old. She went from waking 1 - 2 times a night to 6 times overnight it seemed. I didn't feel right trying this method out while she was that young and not eating solids. So now at 8 months after our family vacation I decided to give it a try. My daughter always went down awake, but that did not prevent her from waking almost every 1-2 hours at night. I would feed her back to sleep. Anyhow... since she was now 8 months and eating really well I decided to give it a try.

I fed her, put her down in her crib awake (as usual) and thought I was in for a bad night. She went to sleep easily around 7, woke at 10 and cried for about 45 min. I followed the schedule in the book and went in accordingly. After 45 min she fell asleep and didn't wake up until 7 am the next morning! The next night she went to bed at 7 and woke up at 1:30. She cried about 30 min (and I went in based on schedule) and slept until 7 am again!

After those 2 nights, she has been going to bed at 6 and sometimes waking at 5 (at which I feed her since its been 11 hours) and then she sleeps until 7. This program was great...only 2 nights and they were not as bad as I expected. A surprise benefit was that my daughter who was a 30 min cat napper... is now sleeping between 1- 2 hours during her day naps.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I know every baby is different but the book does say by day 3 you should see improvement which I did. His idea that sleep is habit is true, she now goes to bed happy and awakes happy. I am super rested.

I do expect some bad nights (teething and all) but I will stick to the schedule because the benefits have been well worth it. Good luck to other parents!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sections on confusional arounsals and enuresis, March 22 2013
LCB "YogaMom" (Halifax, NS CAN) - See all my reviews
This was a excellent guide for sleep training. I am a certified infant and sleep consultant. This is not my favorite book, because I don't agree with the later bedtime for already tired children that you're trying to sleep train, but it's obviously worked for some. This is an excellent method for parents that aren't ready for "extinction" and want to be able to check and console, but this habit in itself may prove to be problematic int he long run. Excellent sections for parents on night terrors, sleepwalking, confusional arounsals, and enuresis and how to deal with these and the young child that may be embarrassed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book a must have!, March 23 2012
I love this book. For new Mom's that is having trouble with baby sleep this is great book. Informative and educational. Easy to follow and lots of explanation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Researched Mom, May 20 2008
I purchased both this book and The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. Two vastly different books on how to get your baby to sleep. I read both and decided not to use the Ferber Method based on the research in the No-Cry book. The book by Dr. Ferber provides much information on the science of sleep and I found it very useful from this perspective to learn how my child falls asleep. However, I am not a mother who can listen to her baby cry, so I chose to go a different route. If you don't mind listening to your baby cry, then based on the science Dr. Ferber presents, use his method. Friends who have used it say it is very effective. If you can't stand your baby crying and you want to comfort her to sleep rather than cry her to sleep I recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution. It takes longer, but I found it so much gentler than crying-it-out. This book is still worth reading though to learn more about the science of sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeps without a peep, Sept. 30 2013
Daughter now goes to bed without a tantrum or forever getting up with a million little excuses. She simply says goodnight cuddles her teddy and falls asleep. Thank you Richard Ferber

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, March 24 2013
It has so much information about different sleep problems! Our 4 month old was having trouble staying asleep at night because of a soother. She no longer needs the soother and I don't have to rock her to sleep either. Without this book I would still be so frustrated and not getting any sleep! This book contains information for many ages of children, so it may come in handy when she is older as well.

Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: New, Revised, and Expanded Edition
Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: New, Revised, and Expanded Edition by Richard Ferber (Paperback - April 30 2006)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43