5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Well-written; the best book I've read on the subject. The commentary on the social aspects of narcissism makes this author's approach relevant to every reader. Practical, realistic coping strategies as well as models for good-enough parenting. Great book for parents and teenagers to read together!
Synopsis: Narcissism is a healthy, necessary stage twice in a...
Published on Oct. 30 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars good overview
I admit to being disappointed in this book. Even so, it was a useful overview of a pervasive problem, one that faces most of us much of the time: how do we deal with self-absorbed narrcisists without being untrue to ourselves?
Things I liked about the book include the use of illuminating examples, the checklists and suggested courses of action in dealing with...
Published on Aug. 27 2002 by Marcy L. Thompson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, Oct. 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Why Is It Always About You?: The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism (Paperback)
Synopsis: Narcissism is a healthy, necessary stage twice in a person's life, during the toddler and teen years, and gives an individual an inflated sense of confidence that enables him or her to leave the security of the parental bond to explore the world with newly acquired abilities. If children receive good-enough parenting when reality deflates this bubble of omnipotence, they reach the end of their narcissistic explorations with a newly integrated sense of self and awareness of the separateness of other people. If they are traumatized or are insecure in their attachment to primary caregivers at these crucial stages, they never "graduate" from the school of narcissism, and become "toxic people," viewing others merely as extensions of themselves and therefore without separate needs and feelings. You probably encounter narcissistic people every day without understanding why they are so rude, have an unfounded sense of entitlement, poor boundaries, or seem to be more "special" than other people. Many of us have been raised in families that pass down narcissitic vulnerabilities, leaving us prey to narcissists, who are always on the lookout for people who can be manipulated into supplying external validation of their "specialness," either by annexing you and your talents to serve them or by deflating you so as to inflate themselves. The current cultural endorsement and social approval of narcissistic traits also prepares us to be victims, even if we are otherwise psychologically healthy.
An encounter with a narcissist can disrupt your life and leave you wondering what on earth you could possibly have done to have earned such abuse. This book will explain who it's really about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer, May 15 2004
By A Customer
I had reached rock-bottom when a friend recommended this book to me: I found myself on my knees, begging my husband not to be angry at me. This book had everything I needed to pull myself out of the gutter: clarity, insight, intelligence, and page after page of perfect descriptions of what I had been living with for many years. Then came strong, simple advice on how to live a sane life. The descriptions helped me let go of my fantasy that he could change; the advice helped me turn my own path into one of optimism and strength. Thank you, SH.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great unexplored areas of the mind, Aug. 6 2004
I once worked for a boss who had the following sign on his desk: "People who think they know everything are particularly irritating to those of us who do." I laughed. Six months later, while still working for the same man I had stopped laughing. It wasn't a joke--the guy meant it. If only I had had this book then. It seems to me that far too much energy and time is spent on the "bigger" mental problems of society and not enough on this one. For really, most of these other problems seem to stem from narcissism. Most narcissistics see themselves as "healthy," so what can you do? This book is a must for those interested in toxic people and if you're older than the age of five, you know just how many there are. Highly, highly recommended. Would also recommend an interesting read (fiction) that deals with MAJOR personality disordererd individuals, family dysfunction, and definitely narcissism: "The Bark of the Dogwood" by Jackson McCrae.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is it Always about you, May 28 2003
This book help me more than any theraphy could have helped me. If you want validation for the difficult people (Personality disorder) you have to deal with, this is the book. It describes Narcissism for what it is. Narcissist prey on those who have been shamed, so they can take on their disowned shame that their ego can not tolerate. Most of us are walking around with projections that don't even belong to us, they belong to them!!!!!! Best book on the subject. Best line in the book is - Narcissism breeds a new narcissist generation-- as well as people who seem to be magnets for this personality type.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally an answer, June 9 2003
By A Customer
Ms. Hotchkiss's insight into Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) finally gave a voice to what I have been thinking for many years. After attracting narcissists of varying degrees into my life, I always found myself in the end either in complete disbelief at the behaviour I had encountered and tolerated, or believing there was something deeply wrong with me. When I began reading "The Seven Deadly Sins" as she puts it which outline some of the major personality flaws of those affected by NPD, I just wanted to shout out "Yes!, Yes!, this makes it all clear!". While this book primarily focuses on how to identify NPDs, it does provide some insight as to why you may be the personality type that attracts these damaged people into your life and how to manage them. Ms. Hotchkiss writes with, and I certainly believe that she has, empathy for those troubled with NPD, however, she also is very firm in that they most often do not change, and in order to save yourself from a lifetime of being used and emotionally sucked dry, you have to distance yourself. This may not be the most in depth writing on the subject but, for those of you like me who know in your heart that there is something wrong with someone in your life, this book can be a real eye opener, give voice to what you know is there, and set you on a road to recovery. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many light bulbs came on I felt like a Christmas tree!, Sept. 3 2003
By A Customer
Not one but both of my parents were flaming Narcissistic. This book describes what I went through and explains so much that I can accept myself more and understand how I now can make different, positive choices now in my life. After five years of reading many good self help or codependency books that helped a little, this book gives me the underlying reasons for behaviors that caused codependency and other negative behaviors/thoughts. I was finally diagnosed narcissistic by my counselor last year after several other counselors never even mentioned the "n" word to me. This book alone has helped me to change from narcissistic tendencies more than anything else. It is also a wonderful explanation to people who have suffered so long from extremely self-centered people. Thank you Sandy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Try to Cope---Just Be One Step Ahead, Dec 26 2002
Virginia C. Selanik "Virginia Selanik "li... (Indian River. Michigan) - See all my reviews
Understanding a narcissist is not an easy task, and living with one or working with one can be most difficult.Sandy Hotchkiss has written a most helpful book on dealing with narcissists who will only use and abuse you if you fail to give them their narcissistic supply of praise or adulation. This book has helped me in finding the reasons for my doubts and wonderings about family members who are difficult to deal with. I had considered consulting a therapist to ease the pain of conflict. Perhaps I shall, but I will have a better handle on the egocentric behavior of the narcissists in my life. This book is well worth its price, and may in fact be more helpful than a therapist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Provide understanding of the narcissistic mind, Dec 2 2002
Richard Menard (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the best written and useful book I have read on narcissistic personality disorder. This book is written for the non-specialist reader that has to deal with such people in everyday life. In simple and clear terms the author reveals the mind of such people, and covers a lot of ground although only briefly from how to identify them, its origin in childhood, how to defend ourselves and in particular at work, in love relationships, with our adolescents and with aging parents. It also gives a few words of how our modern society contributes to it. This book is written in an entirely non aggressive tone, although I have seen some authors trapped in negative reaction to such people, and which makes this book even more valuable. This book helped me greatly understand narcissistic people in my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plague in society today, Aug. 2 2002
"ejs58" (East Lansing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Hotchkiss provides a simple explanation - that is user-friendly - to explain a complicated problem. Narcissism is a necessary part of human development - I wanted to know what was "healthy" and what was over-the-edge. Hotchkiss answered all my questions and gave the answers on how to deal with the narcissist in my life. I am so relieved to find - it's not about me, it is about their inadequacies. It was also helpful that Hotchkiss explained how difficult it is for therapists to treat a narcissist. This book truly answered many of the relationship questions I have had over the years. Emotionally, I am a healthier person, thanks to this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, March 31 2003
By A Customer
This book is an almost perfect investigation into all things narcissistic. I would have given it five stars, but it fell short of perfection by surprisingly never mentioning me by name or including a photo of me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Why Is It Always About You?: The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism
Why Is It Always About You?: The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss (Paperback - Aug. 7 2003)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24