5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating
Bob Greene's book should not be labeled a diet book, so much as a book about changing one's lifestyle. Using his four-step process, I was able to rejuvenate my exercise and diet regimen and managed to lose about 20 pounds. Much of this was fat, as the fourth phase of Greene's plan emphasizes muscle building.
This book is probably best suited for beginners. Greene's...
Published on June 21 2004 by Ron Atkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercise advice is great but still missing a vital key
I have read this book, along with dozens of others over the years and although Bob's information is correct, I still feel that most of what Greene offers (like keeping a exercise/diet journal, ugh) instills that diet mentality that I've fought to get over.
Published on Aug. 8 2002 by Alexa Craft

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, June 21 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Get with the Program!: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health, and Emotional Well-Being (Spiral-bound)
This book is probably best suited for beginners. Greene's message addresses losing weight, improving cardiovascular health, understanding why you eat (emotional eating, ala Dr. Phil), and improving self-esteem. Greene also advises people not to eat after 7pm, which I believe may be based on the false premise that a person's metabolism shuts off during sleep. According to Greene's plan, you should change your lifestyle in fours phases: 1) find out where you are at, what got you there, and what you want to achieve; 2) implement an aerobic exercise routine; 3) get to know what emotions are working to cause you to eat in excess of your body's needs; and, 4) build muscle with anerobic exercise.
If you already exercise regularly and are knowledgeable of sound nutrition concepts, you may not need this book. However, if you're like me, you may find Greene's book motivational and thus worth the money and time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Focus on Daily Little Victory, March 16 2002
Matthew M. Yau "Voracious reader" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Interesting. When I picked up Bob Greene's GET WITH THE PROGRAM, the guidelines look familiar-this is almost exactly what my fitness friend told me to do few years ago to lose weight. GET WITH THE PROGRAM is a reiteration, reformulation of the basic "double E" principles we all know-eat healthy and exercise. So there is nothing new. But unlike another recent hot pick EAT MORE, WEIGHT LESS, Greene's program is more practical and will stimulate those who want to make a difference in their physique and lifestyle.
GET WITH THE PROGRAM has 4 stages that emphasize gradual change in eating and exercise habit. Phase 1 is easy but very little people will even try because of laziness and procrastination. Phase 1 includes exercises that get us going: some stretches, some aerobic exercises, some situps, and curls for couple times a week. By doing these exercises couple twice a week, we formulate a routine which builds a mindset not to give up. I call these daily little victories. We certainly can't just go to the gym and start lifting 300 pounds hoping to change our body metabolism. But aerobic and cardiovascular excersies can help retune our strength. Start with maybe 10 situps and curls then increase to 15, 20, then 25 a set and do 2 reps of sets. These are daily victories.
Phase 2 picks up the exercise and let you perform more sets. As the program progresses toward Phase 3 and 4, you will start changing the diet and watch what you're eating. Many people misunderstood about working out as burining fat. When you work out, you burn calories. Until you create a deficit of calories in diet, you will never get rid of body fat. When all calories from food have been consumed, then the body will go about the fat stored. So incorporating a diet to workout/exercise is the key. Greene's program will help you achieve this balance. I'm excited about how GET WITH THE PROGRAM has put into a written account of what my fitness friend had told me to do. From 195 lbs (5 feet 8 inches tall), I alternated between aerobics and cardiovascular execises with increasing repetition (the daily victories), changed the diet around to create deficit in calories (about a deficit of 600 calories a day, but 1 pound of fat equal 3500 calories), I started jogging after 2 months of aerboic and cardiovascular, I lost a total of 52 pounds and got down to 143 lbs in 8 months. Focus on the little victories, start the exercises and gradually increase the repetition to create endurance and strength. Change the diet completely, cut all high-fat food like junk food, McDonalds, desserts, high-carbohydrates like pasta and rice. Cut processed sugar products like sodas and ice cream. Drink lots of water and natural freshly sueezed juices. Many programs are out there in the markets like GET WITH THE PROGRAM, success depends on personal determination and perseverance.

5.0 out of 5 stars book hits nail on the head, May 16 2004
By A Customer
I recently purchased this book. After much debate I dived into it. We all have emotional issues and this book makes you stop and think about it. Awareness of these issues will allow you to recognize those triggers. Its not a fad, its a way of life that you can include on a daily basis. No points to watch, no big calorie counting, only encouragement every step of the way. No tricks or "buy my powders". Nothing but guidance to help you through. I should know.....I bought the pills, the equipment- now a clothes holder, the bars and powders. I can stick with this program. It has four phases and I am well on my to seeing the light at the end of phase one. For some weightloss comes easy (like my mom, boy I didnt get her genes) and for others it something we battle everyday.
I bought the book and the philosphy because it was time to get honest with myself. :P
I even cleared the clothes off that exercise machine. :)))

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercise advice is great but still missing a vital key, Aug. 8 2002
I read the other reviews and agreed with many, especially the one reader, Reese. I too read the book, "The Quest for Peace, Love & a 24-Inch Waist" and it's fresh perspective of feeding the spiritual aspect of who we are was far more inspiring and effective. In fact, I've lost 18 pounds being inspired! Do the exercises in Deborah Low's book first and you won't need to buy both books like I did. As the other review mentioned, her website was a help too.
Overall, this book is clear and basic, and really good for exercise advice but still lacked what I needed to lose all of my excess weight over the past 5 months!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Broader Benefits than Other Diet-Exercise Programs, Jan. 25 2004
By A Customer
Excellent book. Practical advice that moves beyond just eating recommendations and exercise recommendations. Covers emotional eating, dealing with needs. Very well rounded and more practical and reasonable than a lot of ther programs. There are nice journal pages also. To improve wellness even more, and to help make good authentic changes--like weight loss, one of the best book I have seen in a long long time is "Effortless Wellbeing: The Missing Ingredients for Authentic Wellness" by Evan Finer. Get with the Program and Effortless Wellbeing combined can really help as a combination. HIGHLY recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, Dec 27 2006
Get with the program, indeed! I AM a health freak! And I do care about my looks. Bob's book provides a lot of good, useful information that make a lot of sense to me. In my opinion, the only author that can compete with Mr. Green is Dr. Tombak, the author of some European bestsellers, known in North America for his title "Can We Live 150 Year?" that is also sold on Amazon. Tombak focuses more on a healthy life style in general, rather then on just losing weight. Therefore he does not offer so many food recipes as Mr. Green, but he does additionally offer numerous herbal solutions to various ailments. He also has a special chapter on juicing. Both authors give good advice not only WHAT to eat, but also HOW and WHEN to eat. Tombak gives a lot of emphasis on everything being as close to nature as possible. For example, he suggests what kind of foods we are supposed to eat at a particular season to be in agreement with nature's cycles... He is a great believer in biological rhythms. Both authors suggest balance, moderation, and variety; both authors suggest drinking a lot of water, not eating before going to bed, or while watching TV (a typical couch potato habit), and so on, etc. These two books are very different, but at the same time they have so much in common. I strongly recommend getting both of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!, Nov. 7 2002
By A Customer
I've been on Weight Watchers for 13 weeks and have lost 27 pounds but I needed a program to get me "going" again because I have reached a plateau. Having seen Bob Greene on Oprah I decided to try his book. I started reading and couldn't put it down. I've never read a "self-help" book that I didn't get totally bored with after the first chapter. This book explains why my body functions as it does, why I gain a couple of pounds after loosing 4, etc. I have a much better understanding of my body and my emotions. I am also a smoker and I feel that this book will be the catalyst I need to stop the nasty habit once and for all. Thanks for such an eye-opening and informative book and thanks to Oprah for really putting it out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily goals work, July 26 2002
By A Customer
Daily goals work. The author lets us know upfront that each day counts. It doesn't matter how small the accomplishmnet might be, it's still a goal. Each day matters and he shows us how to build on that day and move forward with four steps. We work out of our home in a family owned business. With small children underfoot, it gets crazy. We have to make ourselves take breaks to keep our sanity and to help keep the children's self esteem moving and growing as well. One of the children is a little chubby for his age. I am chubby for my height. My husband is in between but has had remarkable success with this book and learned new thought patterns. I have only begun to realize that work, family, home and exercise is all related to health and our body. Quality and quanity of food and exercise is very important. For almost everyone in our family, this book has been a huge change even in small steps. If you are like us and work out of your home, you know it's still hard to maintain an exercise ritual and plan healthy smaller portions of food for a better quality of life. We have just bought The Entrepreneurial Parent, by Paul and Sarah Edwards. Inside this book are words of wisdom from a ton of successful people. Many of those people stress eating better and exercising for a healthy life. Actually, even in some of the books that are recommended in Paul and Sarah's book, like Mommy-CEO (Constantly Evaluating Others) 5 Golden Rules, Revised Edition, by Jodie Lynn, also teaches parents how to begin taking time out for yourself with exercise and better food. Mrs. Lynn suggests moms to take out time to exercise three to four times a week and to follow a healthy life plan in diet and food to become a better parent. She and Bob are right to say it fuels your whole life plan and home life not to mention work. The food and exercise plan is right here in Bob's book and now the secret is out for all of us, even if you're like me and hate exercise and weights. If we can do it and stop with the excuses, believe me, everyone else can do it. I am the queen of fast foods and quick trips to the frig. I was the challenge in our house and in our business. Now, my daily goals are meaningful and doable for me, myself and I. It makes me a better parent and better person.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but still lacking spiritual inspiration, July 21 2002
"readerfan" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I found Bob's book sound and safe but many of the principles such as 'don't eat after 7 pm', still re-inforce the diet mentality that gets so many stuck in this rut in the first place.
I agree with most of what Greene offers, but where he lacks, Deborah Low's book, "The Quest for Peace, Love & a 24-Inch Waist" goes one step further to nurture the spiritual aspect of getting healthy and losing weight.
I used to be overweight and I now manage a womens gym. I know how many people, women in particular, struggle with body image and diets. Different than Bob, Deborah challenges the reader to re-evaluate their diet mentality while inspiring a whole new perspective on staying motivated and getting fit.
I used to recommend Bob's book, but now I use "Quest" with all of my clients who struggle with their weight and I am having great success. Her website is also content rich at deborahlow.com
In my opinion, use anything that helps you make peace with your body. Bob's book is a good start on the physical and emotional side but what about the spiritual? ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic advice on how to get fit, Feb. 5 2002
Let's be clear up front: there are no major breakthroughs or miracles in this book. Most every American alive knows what it would take to get fit (exercise) and lose weight (eat less fat and junk). To a certain extent, therefore, "Get with the Program" is just a re-formulation of the hard facts we all know. What Bob Greene has devised is a realistic and relatively painless way of adopting those healthy practices into your life on a long-term basis. There are 4 incremental stages to the program which are simple and designed for each person to follow at their own pace. This means that you don't have to wake up tomorrow morning, starve yourself and run out the door for 2 hours at the gym. Step 1 is simple: start a minimum of aerobic exercise, basic stretches and some abdominal exercises a couple of times a week. Easy enough. Once you've thoroughly incorporated that into your life, you move on to stage 2 where exercise picks up a little. Not until you reach stage 4 do you begin to actively change your eating habits; that can be months or years later. This is a fitness program that isn't intimidating and isn't going to require you to drastically change your whole lifestyle immediately in order to get results and start feeling better about yourself. This means that a lot of people who haven't been successful in weightloss or exercise programs before are finally going to succeed in making long-term changes to their lives. Again, this isn't a radical fad diet (in fact, the nutritional advice is rather skimpy - follow Greene's principals, but don't hesitate to supplement the nutritional info if you need to)- it's about making gradual changes at a pace you can live with.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›