4.0 out of 5 stars Focus on Daily Little Victory
Published on March 16 2002 by Matthew M. Yau

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercise advice is great but still missing a vital key
I have read this book, along with dozens of others over the years and although Bob's information is correct, I still feel that most of what Greene offers (like keeping a exercise/diet journal, ugh) instills that diet mentality that I've fought to get over.
Published on Aug. 8 2002 by Alexa Craft

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercise advice is great but still missing a vital key, Aug. 8 2002
This review is from: Get with the Program!: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health, and Emotional Well-Being (Spiral-bound)
I read the other reviews and agreed with many, especially the one reader, Reese. I too read the book, "The Quest for Peace, Love & a 24-Inch Waist" and it's fresh perspective of feeding the spiritual aspect of who we are was far more inspiring and effective. In fact, I've lost 18 pounds being inspired! Do the exercises in Deborah Low's book first and you won't need to buy both books like I did. As the other review mentioned, her website was a help too.
Overall, this book is clear and basic, and really good for exercise advice but still lacked what I needed to lose all of my excess weight over the past 5 months!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Focus on Daily Little Victory, March 16 2002
Matthew M. Yau "Voracious reader" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Interesting. When I picked up Bob Greene's GET WITH THE PROGRAM, the guidelines look familiar-this is almost exactly what my fitness friend told me to do few years ago to lose weight. GET WITH THE PROGRAM is a reiteration, reformulation of the basic "double E" principles we all know-eat healthy and exercise. So there is nothing new. But unlike another recent hot pick EAT MORE, WEIGHT LESS, Greene's program is more practical and will stimulate those who want to make a difference in their physique and lifestyle.
GET WITH THE PROGRAM has 4 stages that emphasize gradual change in eating and exercise habit. Phase 1 is easy but very little people will even try because of laziness and procrastination. Phase 1 includes exercises that get us going: some stretches, some aerobic exercises, some situps, and curls for couple times a week. By doing these exercises couple twice a week, we formulate a routine which builds a mindset not to give up. I call these daily little victories. We certainly can't just go to the gym and start lifting 300 pounds hoping to change our body metabolism. But aerobic and cardiovascular excersies can help retune our strength. Start with maybe 10 situps and curls then increase to 15, 20, then 25 a set and do 2 reps of sets. These are daily victories.
Phase 2 picks up the exercise and let you perform more sets. As the program progresses toward Phase 3 and 4, you will start changing the diet and watch what you're eating. Many people misunderstood about working out as burining fat. When you work out, you burn calories. Until you create a deficit of calories in diet, you will never get rid of body fat. When all calories from food have been consumed, then the body will go about the fat stored. So incorporating a diet to workout/exercise is the key. Greene's program will help you achieve this balance. I'm excited about how GET WITH THE PROGRAM has put into a written account of what my fitness friend had told me to do. From 195 lbs (5 feet 8 inches tall), I alternated between aerobics and cardiovascular execises with increasing repetition (the daily victories), changed the diet around to create deficit in calories (about a deficit of 600 calories a day, but 1 pound of fat equal 3500 calories), I started jogging after 2 months of aerboic and cardiovascular, I lost a total of 52 pounds and got down to 143 lbs in 8 months. Focus on the little victories, start the exercises and gradually increase the repetition to create endurance and strength. Change the diet completely, cut all high-fat food like junk food, McDonalds, desserts, high-carbohydrates like pasta and rice. Cut processed sugar products like sodas and ice cream. Drink lots of water and natural freshly sueezed juices. Many programs are out there in the markets like GET WITH THE PROGRAM, success depends on personal determination and perseverance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, June 21 2004
Bob Greene's book should not be labeled a diet book, so much as a book about changing one's lifestyle. Using his four-step process, I was able to rejuvenate my exercise and diet regimen and managed to lose about 20 pounds. Much of this was fat, as the fourth phase of Greene's plan emphasizes muscle building.
This book is probably best suited for beginners. Greene's message addresses losing weight, improving cardiovascular health, understanding why you eat (emotional eating, ala Dr. Phil), and improving self-esteem. Greene also advises people not to eat after 7pm, which I believe may be based on the false premise that a person's metabolism shuts off during sleep. According to Greene's plan, you should change your lifestyle in fours phases: 1) find out where you are at, what got you there, and what you want to achieve; 2) implement an aerobic exercise routine; 3) get to know what emotions are working to cause you to eat in excess of your body's needs; and, 4) build muscle with anerobic exercise.
If you already exercise regularly and are knowledgeable of sound nutrition concepts, you may not need this book. However, if you're like me, you may find Greene's book motivational and thus worth the money and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars book hits nail on the head, May 16 2004
By A Customer
I recently purchased this book. After much debate I dived into it. We all have emotional issues and this book makes you stop and think about it. Awareness of these issues will allow you to recognize those triggers. Its not a fad, its a way of life that you can include on a daily basis. No points to watch, no big calorie counting, only encouragement every step of the way. No tricks or "buy my powders". Nothing but guidance to help you through. I should know.....I bought the pills, the equipment- now a clothes holder, the bars and powders. I can stick with this program. It has four phases and I am well on my to seeing the light at the end of phase one. For some weightloss comes easy (like my mom, boy I didnt get her genes) and for others it something we battle everyday.
I bought the book and the philosphy because it was time to get honest with myself. :P
I even cleared the clothes off that exercise machine. :)))

5.0 out of 5 stars Broader Benefits than Other Diet-Exercise Programs, Jan. 25 2004
By A Customer
Excellent book. Practical advice that moves beyond just eating recommendations and exercise recommendations. Covers emotional eating, dealing with needs. Very well rounded and more practical and reasonable than a lot of ther programs. There are nice journal pages also. To improve wellness even more, and to help make good authentic changes--like weight loss, one of the best book I have seen in a long long time is "Effortless Wellbeing: The Missing Ingredients for Authentic Wellness" by Evan Finer. Get with the Program and Effortless Wellbeing combined can really help as a combination. HIGHLY recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, Dec 27 2006
Get with the program, indeed! I AM a health freak! And I do care about my looks. Bob's book provides a lot of good, useful information that make a lot of sense to me. In my opinion, the only author that can compete with Mr. Green is Dr. Tombak, the author of some European bestsellers, known in North America for his title "Can We Live 150 Year?" that is also sold on Amazon. Tombak focuses more on a healthy life style in general, rather then on just losing weight. Therefore he does not offer so many food recipes as Mr. Green, but he does additionally offer numerous herbal solutions to various ailments. He also has a special chapter on juicing. Both authors give good advice not only WHAT to eat, but also HOW and WHEN to eat. Tombak gives a lot of emphasis on everything being as close to nature as possible. For example, he suggests what kind of foods we are supposed to eat at a particular season to be in agreement with nature's cycles... He is a great believer in biological rhythms. Both authors suggest balance, moderation, and variety; both authors suggest drinking a lot of water, not eating before going to bed, or while watching TV (a typical couch potato habit), and so on, etc. These two books are very different, but at the same time they have so much in common. I strongly recommend getting both of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!!, Nov. 7 2002
By A Customer
I've been on Weight Watchers for 13 weeks and have lost 27 pounds but I needed a program to get me "going" again because I have reached a plateau. Having seen Bob Greene on Oprah I decided to try his book. I started reading and couldn't put it down. I've never read a "self-help" book that I didn't get totally bored with after the first chapter. This book explains why my body functions as it does, why I gain a couple of pounds after loosing 4, etc. I have a much better understanding of my body and my emotions. I am also a smoker and I feel that this book will be the catalyst I need to stop the nasty habit once and for all. Thanks for such an eye-opening and informative book and thanks to Oprah for really putting it out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!! It's all about habits, Nov. 18 2003
By A Customer
The key to permanent weight loss is lifestyle change
and that is exactly what this book is all about. Walk 20 min a day, take the stairs instead of the elevator, jump rope when you walk. Diets alone won't do it...you have to make it a habit to MOVE. You should also check out anthoer great book I just read called "The Power of Positive Habits"...excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive approach to lifestyle change!, Aug. 28 2003
By A Customer
This book is truly excellent. Of course we know if we are overweight that eating right and exercising regularly is the cure to our problem. However, few books address the "why?" behind the problem, the underlying mechanisms of WHY we overeat, WHY we are lazy, WHY we make excuses for ourselves. He starts off by saying "this is not a diet book", which is great because the pressure is instantly reduced. The book addresses your mental state of being, your life goals, stress, and emotional overeating, really forcing you to look inside of yourself. From there, he gradually builds in aerobic exercise, and not until the end are you even considerig food choices. You do not worry about being on a "diet", which is very relieving. You're very unlikely to fail at this program, you can only feel better about yourself! Try it, it literally does change your life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really learned a lot here, April 3 2003
One of the things I learned was about personal commitment to one's self. By regards of others I may not have a huge amount of weight to lose but I've benn procrstinating about it and worried that this will become a lifestyle choice. Sure I look fine now but I'm still pretty young and this has to be a lifelong commitment. I got moving with Oprah and Bob in the 90's and did a massive turnaround but then I got into the work swing and got complacent, not to mention being so close to Delmonicos! I love food, to eat it and to cook it but the simple mathematics is that I have to exercise more calories than I consume. Simple as that. And something really BIG, you're suppose to feel slightly hungry. I think thats a great point, most peopel believe you're suppose to constantly be full.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›