5.0 out of 5 stars This one did it!
Published on Sept. 11 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Effort!
Published on March 1 2004 by Rolf Dobelli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This one did it!, Sept. 11 2003
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Stand Up for Your Life: A Practical Step-by-Step Plan to Build Inner Confidence and Personal Power (Paperback)
I've been reading self help books for 30 years but this one is the one that changed my life. the questions she asked helped me to find my answers. I had always tried to be what you (ALL of you!) wanted me to be. That is a lot of work, and it is dishonest. I've lost 50 pounds, reconnected with my husband and I have done the thing I wrote down in answer to the pivotal question (for me) in this book: "If you knew you were going to die tomorrow what is the one thing you'd regret never doing?" My answer, which shocked me, was "to sing". so, at the magic age of 50, I got up and belted out the blues, and I am having the time of my life! After 2 or 3 months of open mics, I have my 1st paying gig (together with a friend and my husband on guitars) in a couple of weeks! Why would a person hide a gift her whole life? Why are we so afraid? What are we so afraid of? This book taught me how to be fearless. Or at least to "act as if." Thank you, Cheryl!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Effort!, March 1 2004
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
If you want to run your own life - and who doesn't? - Cheryl Richardson will tell you how. The first step in her program is getting a clear sense of who you are and what you want. Then, tap into your inner power to develop the courage and confidence to move ahead. Richardson's examples from her personal life and from her clients' stories add lively human interest, and her comprehensive step-by-step program might intrigue many readers, particularly those who have just started reading self-help literature. Otherwise, this is a repeat of a frequently taught lesson about how to decide what you want and take steps to get it. Her exercises can help you clarify your goals as well as find and destroy any emotional barriers standing in your way. We recommend this book to readers, particularly women, who haven't already been down this path and absorbed this message; you will find that Richardson is an encouraging cheerleader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Author delivers another excellent book that will help you!, Sept. 9 2002
Blaine Greenfield "eclectic reader" (Belle Meade, NJ) - See all my reviews
Read another excellent book by Cheryl Richardson, author
of TAKE TIME FOR YOUR LIFE and LIFE MAKEOVERS--both
of which I enjoyed immensely . . . her latest is STAND UP
FOR YOUR LIFE, and the subtitle says it all: DEVELOP THE COURAGE, CONFIDENCE, AND CHARACTER TO FULFILL YOUR GREATEST POTENTIAL.
Richardson, a master certified coach, takes you through an
interactive training program that will help you transform
internal obstacles such as self-doubt, conflict phobia and a
feat of what others think into a new foundation of courage,
confidence and self-esteem.
I particularly liked her use of real life stories and examples
(including her own) . . . also, the accompanying exercises
were very insightful.
There were many memorable passages; among them:
We are all here for a very short, indeterminate amount of time. It's imperative that we use this time well by making our spiritual development a top priority. As you do, I can assure you that you will begin to understand and fulfill you unique purpose here on Earth. This commitment takes time, energy, and a willingness to open your heart and your mind to change. The first step is to realize that you are the force for change in your life. No one else can set your destiny, settle your grievances, heal you wounds, or tell you what to do. You must take full responsibility for an amazing gift that was bestowed upon you at birth--the power to create you life as a work of art.
With this perspective in mind, you naturally begin to view each
life experience through the lens of the question "How can I use this situation to serve my personal growth?" For example, when a driver cuts you off in traffic, you see it as a sign that you may need to slow down or not take things so personally, rather than view it as someone doing something to you. Or when you lose your job unexpectedly, you decide to reevaluate the direction of your life's work instead of seeing it as life handing you a raw deal. Of course it's important to allow yourself to experience and express all of the feelings that accompany these types of situations. The point is to move beyond blame and criticism to a more empowering position--one where you recognize that you have the creative power to use any situation to your advantage.
Check out the list below for some ideas on how to shift
your language:
Old Words: New Words
"I think": "I know"
"I'll try": "I will"
"Maybe": "Definitely"
"I'm not sure": "I'm positive"
"I guess": "I'll confirm that"
"I'm sorry": "I'm confident"
"I'm so stupid": "I need a break"
"It doesn't matter": "Here's what I want"
"We'll see": "I will"

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for Transformation, April 24 2002
By A Customer
Cheryl Richardson's new book "Stand Up For Your Life" is great and offers very practical advice to support you in becoming aware of who you are and what you need to function as a satisfied human being. I find her suggestions infinitely helpful and practical. She invites the reader on a journey of self discovery and transformation, a life-long process that will not stop after you close the book but hopefully send you on an on-going path of satisfaction, awareness, self expression, joy and will allow you to contribute to the world around you.
If you are interested in transformation I also recommend that you read "Working On Yourself Doesn't Work" by Ariel and Shya Kane. This is an extraordinary book which presents the possibility of transformation without endlessly working on yourself to improve yourself. Awareness and the seeing of what is, is enough to create a quantum shift and transformation. This is a novel idea and I started experiencing the shift simply out of reading the book. A must read if you've had enough of working on yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding guide to doing the inner work!, April 3 2002
By A Customer
Cheryl Richardson has done it again! I loved her first book(s) as they helped me to clean up obstacles in my environment so I could focus on what was really important - me! Now that I have more space and time to concentrate on me thanks to her, she comes out with a book to help me work on none other than, me. Perfect timing, Cheryl!
It's a shame that other reader didn't get the intention of the book at all. If all he or she got from reading it was tears, that person is certainly not at a mature enough place in his or her life to handle a book of this magnitude. Someone who could write something so negative clearly was looking for Cheryl (and other people in his or her life I presume) to "fix" all his or her problems. Guess what? You gotta do that yourself, Charlie Brown. Once you realize that, maybe you'd be able to handle and take Cheryl's beautiful guidance and advice.
Cheryl, I thank you for what you do. If everyone was mature enough to do the work you suggest, this world would surely be a better place!

1.0 out of 5 stars Give me Dr. Phil anyday., Sept. 24 2003
Though this three cassette audio version offers some sound ideas, they certainly are not anything worth your changing your life over, I'm not even sure they WOULD change your life. Neither are they anything self-help lovers have not heard before or read before in some fashion. Also, read by the author Cheryl Richardson, these 3 cassettes tend to have a monotone that could lull the poor listener into a coma. On more than a few occasions, I wondered where the author came up with an idea, since in the next paragraph or later on another cassette, she would clearly relate a story of her own life that contradicted the entire idea she presented in the first place. In fairness, Cheryl Richardson makes it clear she was not intending to "practice what she preaches" when she does that, but it just leaves the listener confused. I'm sure this was unintentional, but there's no therapy here folks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate Your Life - Buy This Book, April 4 2002
By A Customer
Stand Up for Your Life is Cheryl Richardson's best book yet! Each chapter - based on an eloquent and pivotal concept - truly challenges and inspires the reader to take a bite out of life. I feel like Cheryl is my own personal coach encouraging me to be the best me I can be! The "Build Your Courage Muscles" chapter hit home the most! I have actually stepped out of my comfort zone, pushed my boundaries in the world and have never felt more vital and alive. Everything is better - my marriage, my work, my fitness, my friendships, my private time - all because I am finally willing to embody my own strength and honesty. Buy this book if you are longing to crack your world open and discover a new empowered you who plunges into a challenge with the courage to fly higher than ever before. Trust me - if Cheryl can't light a fire under you, no one can :)))

4.0 out of 5 stars much-needed help!, April 4 2002
By A Customer
cheryl richardson has hit the nail on the head. as kids, we have so many hopes and dreams, and are so fearless... fearless to go after what we want, learn more about ourselves, speak our minds... as we get older, we are trained to do what others want us to -- society, our parents, friends, etc. and we start to lose sight of our "me-ness". cheryl's book will help you to work on finding yourself again, finding your own voice, and go after those things that you've let fall by the wayside. personally, after spending years in a corporate job, i'm exploring community theatre auditions in my area so i can get back into my lifetime love of musical theater... and i'm getting myself out of debt, and saving to buy a house someday, after spending the last 10 years deep in debt. she's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand up for your life, April 5 2002
By A Customer
Cheryl Richardson has done it again. I give this book a 5 star rating. The author shares personal experiences which I find to be the most motivational tool their is. I had to write this review because I read some of the negative feedback and was blown away. I know there is no accounting for taste but get real, this book is informative, helpful, inspiration and down right motivating. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who is motivated to stand up for their life. Thank you Cheryl for another fabulous book, keep up the great work.
One other thing, I had the pleasure of seeing Cheryl speak and found her to be a delightful, humorous and very passionate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jealousy is abound!, April 4 2002
By A Customer
Wow.... there is one angry person out there. Clearly all those negative reviews are written by the same person. If you have such a great life, why are you spending all your time on here trying to hide behind different geographic locations? Go live your amazing life!
Cheryl, I just finished reading your book. A friend gave it to me as a gift as he knows how much I enjoyed your first two, and how much I got out of them. Thank you for the work you do. You are making a difference in a lot of lives - lives of people who are introspective enough to take the necessary steps.
Keep doing what you are doing girl. I can't get enough of your guidance!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›