Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on October 14, 2011
The description of the book was accurate, arrived quickly and I would purchase from again from the person as well as Amazon. Overall a good experience.
on March 1, 2004
If you want to run your own life - and who doesn't? - Cheryl Richardson will tell you how. The first step in her program is getting a clear sense of who you are and what you want. Then, tap into your inner power to develop the courage and confidence to move ahead. Richardson's examples from her personal life and from her clients' stories add lively human interest, and her comprehensive step-by-step program might intrigue many readers, particularly those who have just started reading self-help literature. Otherwise, this is a repeat of a frequently taught lesson about how to decide what you want and take steps to get it. Her exercises can help you clarify your goals as well as find and destroy any emotional barriers standing in your way. We recommend this book to readers, particularly women, who haven't already been down this path and absorbed this message; you will find that Richardson is an encouraging cheerleader.
on September 24, 2003
Though this three cassette audio version offers some sound ideas, they certainly are not anything worth your changing your life over, I'm not even sure they WOULD change your life. Neither are they anything self-help lovers have not heard before or read before in some fashion. Also, read by the author Cheryl Richardson, these 3 cassettes tend to have a monotone that could lull the poor listener into a coma. On more than a few occasions, I wondered where the author came up with an idea, since in the next paragraph or later on another cassette, she would clearly relate a story of her own life that contradicted the entire idea she presented in the first place. In fairness, Cheryl Richardson makes it clear she was not intending to "practice what she preaches" when she does that, but it just leaves the listener confused. I'm sure this was unintentional, but there's no therapy here folks.
on September 11, 2003
I've been reading self help books for 30 years but this one is the one that changed my life. the questions she asked helped me to find my answers. I had always tried to be what you (ALL of you!) wanted me to be. That is a lot of work, and it is dishonest. I've lost 50 pounds, reconnected with my husband and I have done the thing I wrote down in answer to the pivotal question (for me) in this book: "If you knew you were going to die tomorrow what is the one thing you'd regret never doing?" My answer, which shocked me, was "to sing". so, at the magic age of 50, I got up and belted out the blues, and I am having the time of my life! After 2 or 3 months of open mics, I have my 1st paying gig (together with a friend and my husband on guitars) in a couple of weeks! Why would a person hide a gift her whole life? Why are we so afraid? What are we so afraid of? This book taught me how to be fearless. Or at least to "act as if." Thank you, Cheryl!
on August 20, 2003
This book is PHENOMENAL! I have read Cheryl's first two books - Take Time for Your Life and Life Makeovers. Really enjoyed them both. But this one is by far my favorite. It really helps you take ownership of what is not working in your life and gets you on the road to clearing things up. No victim mentality allowed here! I love it!!
Cheryl, if you read this, THANK YOU for the work you do. I have seen you speak, and you are an AMAZING woman who has not only found her passion, but her gift and her purpose. Thank you for following your path and bringing your wisdom to us.
on September 9, 2002
Read another excellent book by Cheryl Richardson, author
of which I enjoyed immensely . . . her latest is STAND UP
Richardson, a master certified coach, takes you through an
interactive training program that will help you transform
internal obstacles such as self-doubt, conflict phobia and a
feat of what others think into a new foundation of courage,
confidence and self-esteem.
I particularly liked her use of real life stories and examples
(including her own) . . . also, the accompanying exercises
were very insightful.
There were many memorable passages; among them:
We are all here for a very short, indeterminate amount of time. It's imperative that we use this time well by making our spiritual development a top priority. As you do, I can assure you that you will begin to understand and fulfill you unique purpose here on Earth. This commitment takes time, energy, and a willingness to open your heart and your mind to change. The first step is to realize that you are the force for change in your life. No one else can set your destiny, settle your grievances, heal you wounds, or tell you what to do. You must take full responsibility for an amazing gift that was bestowed upon you at birth--the power to create you life as a work of art.
With this perspective in mind, you naturally begin to view each
life experience through the lens of the question "How can I use this situation to serve my personal growth?" For example, when a driver cuts you off in traffic, you see it as a sign that you may need to slow down or not take things so personally, rather than view it as someone doing something to you. Or when you lose your job unexpectedly, you decide to reevaluate the direction of your life's work instead of seeing it as life handing you a raw deal. Of course it's important to allow yourself to experience and express all of the feelings that accompany these types of situations. The point is to move beyond blame and criticism to a more empowering position--one where you recognize that you have the creative power to use any situation to your advantage.
Check out the list below for some ideas on how to shift
your language:
Old Words: New Words
"I think": "I know"
"I'll try": "I will"
"Maybe": "Definitely"
"I'm not sure": "I'm positive"
"I guess": "I'll confirm that"
"I'm sorry": "I'm confident"
"I'm so stupid": "I need a break"
"It doesn't matter": "Here's what I want"
"We'll see": "I will"
on August 23, 2002
Cheryl Richardson is a team leader for the Lifestyle Makeover Series on Oprah, and a certified Master Coach. In her book she prescribes an empowering program for expressing your true potential and talks about how to develop the courage, confidence, and character to fulfill your greatest potential.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you are after a hands-on guide for self-improvment, I think "Stand Up For Yourself" by Cheryl Richardson will force you to ask the otherwise obvious questions that help you to understand yourself. A necessary precedent to developing courage, confidence, and character is understanding the principles that underlie those traits. As an instructor in a self-improvment course, I have received excellent responses to the book I have recently been suggesting to students, "West Point: Character Leadership Education...." by Norman Thomas Remick.
on May 18, 2002
This book is for those of us who aren't as assertive as we'd like to be, who let our passiveness keep us from enjoying our lives, jobs, and relationships as we should. This book presents a new attitude and is backed by many sound psychological principals.
on May 7, 2002
I had the opportunity to see Cheryl after reading this book. If you want to see someone walk their talk, find the opportunity to see Cheryl. Her book brings advanced consciousness principles into practical down to earth realities. In person, she is just as authentic as her writing and she possesses an integrity that is found rarely. Applying the principles that are presented in Stand Up For Your Life will have a positive impact on both your personal and professional life. This book is a perfect gift to give yourself and others. Thank you Cheryl Richardson for allowing your light to shine brilliantly!