5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Restaurant Favorites and They Taste Great Too!!!
Published on April 20 2003 by Daniel F. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, not the worst
I will admit my expectations were a bit too high with this cookbook, and while the recipes are good, and easy to follow, they are not restaurant quality or even a close second. I would not recommend this book on a whole. I have several WW books, and I prefer those over this. There isn't enough variety in the recipes per section either (Italian, Chinese, etc)
Published 7 months ago by Chantalle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Restaurant Favorites and They Taste Great Too!!!, April 20 2003
Daniel F. Moore (Yarmouth, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weight Watchers Take-Out Tonight!: 150+ Restaurant Favorites to Make at Home--All Recipes With POINTS Value of 8 or Less (Paperback)
This may be the best book published under the Weight Watchers' umbrella. It is a wonderful collection of favorite recipes from eight culinary genres. Chinese, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Italian, Greek, Japanese and Deli cuisine is featured. I love food (that's my problem) and delights such as General Tso's Chicken, Chicken Saltimbocca, Spanakopita, Shrimp Pad Thai and Moo Goo Gai Pan are now healthy, tasty and guiltless. You will not believe that these recipes are all 8 points or less. What is even more remarkable is that the family or guests will not suspect that these recipes came from Weight Watchers. This is a great leap forward for Weight Watchers as it makes the most popular restaurant meals not only available in your home, but healthy and delicious.
The book, unlike some earlier Weight Watchers' cookbooks, is very well laid out. The chapters are color coded and the index is arranged by cooking cuisine, with the recipes listed alphabetically. There are many beautiful illustrations as well. Many of the recipes come with a box called Clever Cook's Tips that give the user some useful suggestions, techniques and recipe substitutions.
You don't have to be a Weight Watchers' client to appreciate this book. The recipes are just good, dieting or not! Buy this one...you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Healthy Book Ever, April 10 2004
By A Customer
I've lost count of all the healthy cookbooks I've bought over the years, with many of them now gathering dust at the back of a cupboard somewhere. This one however has become my new favourite cookbook ever - healthy or not! In the month since it arrived on my doorstep I've made at least a dozen of the recipes - and not a bad meal among them. I've served up several of the recipes to guests, each time I've been asked for the recipe I used. The Szechuan Chicken & Lamb Biriyani are probably the favourites so far.
The book is easy to follow, the recipes are all quick to prepare and use easily available ingredients. Almost everything I've tried is suitable for making on a busy weeknight after work (in terms of time taken). The fact that there's a dozen or so recipes in each of 8 different cuisines means you never get bored - and can meet the whole family's tastes and preferences. The "pantry tips" for each type of cuisine are really useful and following them has bascically enabled me to have a choice of 150 meals each night!
Even though it's written for the US market, the ingredients and instructions are easy to follow here in Australia (the conversion tables for US to Metric are invaluable).
The fact that the recipes are all healthy and have all the nutritional information (including WW points) is just a bonus - I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to eat. Don't only buy it if you're trying to loose weight - it's much better than a diet cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, Sept. 25 2003
I was just starting WW and it was going well, but I was bored. I had found a bunch of safe foods with just the right point values, but BOY was I craving take-out food and all those yummy things you can only get when cheating on a diet! I wanted Thai food most, which is notoriously filled with coconut cream and salt. Argh!
When I found this book at Amazon, I immediately ordered it... and thank goodness I did! Not only does it have Thai, but Italian, Indian, Japanese, Mexican, Greek -- and more. There are foods in here that I never thought I'd be able to have while on Weight Watchers! The recipes are straightforward and actually authentic -- I was worried that they would be too far from the originals but have been pleasantly surprised. The Thai "fresh" spring rolls (also known as Vietnamese Goi Cuon) are SPOT ON! I've even served them to guests, who couldn't stop complimenting them.
One of the best things about this book is that not only do they provide the nutritional information about each serving, but they actually say the size of each serving. This seems like such a small thing - but in another WW book I ordered, the recipe only tells you how many servings for the whole recipe. Maybe I'm just not good at dividing, maybe I'm lazy... but just knowing that I can have a 1-cup serving of something *before* I start making something is helpful.
I'm usually one of those "make it up as you go" people with cooking (this could be why I'm on WW!) but I find myself actually using this cookbook quite often! Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Cookbook!, Aug. 19 2003
I must say, this cookbook is outstanding. Every recipe I've tried has come out incredibly good, and most of the recipes I've tried are only 4 or 5 points (Weight Watchers will know what I mean!).
This is a collection of ethnic recipes that you might be able to order take-out, but they are done the Weight Watchers healthy way. Although, I must admit that my local Thai restaurant doesn't have all of these great dishes! The Coconut Curry Pork Satay is to die for, as is the Thai Velvet Corn Soup! And there are great Indian, Mexican, Deli, Italian, and Chinese recipes too.
I can imagine that, depending on where you live, some readers may find some of the ingredients hard to find, but here on the West Coast, our local supermarkets carry Thai fish sauce, coconut milk, and the like.
The cookbook is designed really well, attractive and easy to read with photos to guide you.
Full of interesting flavors, these recipes are pretty quick to make. I'm impressing the heck out of my family with these exotic dinners, and I'm not telling them that they are quick and easy!--I'll just let them be impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars another wonderful WW cookbook, April 14 2003
T. Reinhardt "olivia lee" (east coast) - See all my reviews
I have several WW cookbooks and this was a great addition. The recipes are easy to prepare with easy to find, in general, ingredients. Some ethnic foods require ingredients that might be a bit harder to get (particulary the asian ingredients).
WW recipes are great when you are on the program as all the point values are included. Easy. This could be incrporated in another low fat, lower calorie diet. Also a dibetic diet, altho WW in general uses natural sweeteners.
These recipes are not *diet food*... they wont make you feel deprived and your whole famly will love them. You might have to adjust the portion size for non-dieters as I find them a bit small for most people not dieting.
If i had to pick *just* one WW cookbook, i would pick a more general one but this one is a great addition if you already have one of their *main* cookbooks. Staying on a diet is hard when it gets boring. With this cookbook you get a lot of new ideas for dinner

4.0 out of 5 stars Two yums up!, Aug. 14 2003
Excellent, excellent cookbook. The recipes are easy to follow, the ingredients are simple and found in virtually most grocery stores, and the results are tasty. You won't miss the fat. This cookbook has become the most popular one in my collection. For those who are in WW, the points are there per portion. For those people who are watching their nutritional intake, the breakdown is available.
I made the Chicken Empanadas last night, which were a hit with my husband and myself. The Shrimp and Snow Peas dish was incredible and tasted just like it came from a restaurant. I also tried the Chicken Wraps which were surprisingly filling. I don't consider this type of eating "dieting"...it tastes too good! I am very happy with this cookbook and plan on purchasing more in the future.
The binding is the only thing problematic with this cookbook. It cracked and some of the pages are now loose. This is why it got 4 stars from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and nutritious recipes for your favorite tastes!, Sept. 7 2003
Lara (Princeton, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
This is a super cookbook! My boyfriend and I love spicy food: Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Indian. But we also want to eat healthy and lose weight. (I'm doing Weight Watchers Online.) This book satisfies our need for "take-out"-flavored food but with lower calories and saturated fat. We just had the Shrimp Pad Thai for dinner tonight, and it's terrific! So many lowfat recipes taste bland, but the pad Thai had a great kick from the chili sauce. All the recipes make at least 4 servings, so we have plenty of leftovers for healthy lunches! So we save money on dining out too! This is a great value. Finally, there are many recipes for appetizers that make a whole lot of servings, so I can make tasty hors d'oeuvres that I can eat without guilt! This book is great for anyone who wants to enjoy great-tasting lowfat food. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than eating at a restaurant, Nov. 18 2003
This cookbook is yet another great example how Weight Watchers makes it SO easy to eat wonderful dishes and lose weight. I bought this book because take-out in the American sense is rarely available where I live (Italy). My husband and I love Italian food, but needed some variety. We were especially missing Chinese food. This book has satisfied all of our cravings to the point that I do not know if we are ever going to get take-out again (when we return to the States).
I HIGHLY recommend this cookbook and any other cookbook put forth by Weight Watchers. The dishes may come from a "diet" cookbook, but they do not taste "diet" in any way, shape or form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with near-authentic recipes, March 28 2003
"katestraw" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great cookbook! I just bought it a few weeks ago and already I have made six recipes from it. This cookbook would appeal not only to those looking to lose weight but also aspiring cooks who are hooked on take-out. I would say that although these recipes are not exactly authentic versions of the take-out favorites, they are even better! I especially love the "clever cook's tips" that are featured on most of the recipes that tell you what substitutes to make in order to make the dish vegetarian or how to change a dish to make it better. The Spicy Orange Chicken so far is my favorite. Bon appetit!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll wear this one out with use!, July 2 2004
"kreeves1754" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've tried more than half of the recipes in this cookbook and enjoyed every one of them. Taste and variety are as important to me as calories and 'points' and this cookbook doesn't disappoint. For those of you with a spouse who isn't 'diet' conscious, you know how difficult it is to serve meals that please both palates. I can assure you that this cookbook will do the trick...for the first time in many dieting attempts, I feel satisfied by my meals and my husband doesn't feel like he's also on a diet!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›