4.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, but touching
Published on Nov. 15 2003 by Jen. M.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Boring and Predictable
Published on Jan. 28 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Boring and Predictable, Jan. 28 2005
By A Customer
I wasn't sure I should read this book after being disturbed by the incestual theme in Wideacre. This book was much more boring than Wideacre. The incest theme was also carried on. I got tired of page after page of descriptions of Wideacre and it's crops, smells, colors, etc. The heroine, Julia, is as much in love with the land as Beatrice was in Wideacre but she is an entirely different character. I got tired of waiting for her to stand up for herself against her crazy brother who had inherited the control/masochistic gene. Nothing much happens in this book until near the end. I would not recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars First book purchased and not read to the end!, Sept. 7 2005
By A Customer
I am pleased that I read "The Queen's Fool" and "The Other Boleyn Girl" which both daughters have since enjoyed. Indeed, this wonderful reading experience enticed me to purchase and read the rest of Gregory's works .
"Favoured Child" and the rest of the trilogy is the first time in my life, I have not finished a book and also the first time I have returned a book ( actually the entire trilogy). I just could not get past the first few chapters in any of them and found myself "skimming" just to get it over with.
The characters and plot are such a farce it is extremely difficult to get "lost in". Both, appear as though they are intended only to titillate or shock.

1.0 out of 5 stars If it had been poorly written, I would have rated it 0, Feb. 26 2004
M.J. Ross (bloomfield, nj United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
I can only say after reading these books that I am glad that I read "The Queen's Fool" and "The Other Bolyn Girl" first. If I hadn't, nothing could have inspired me to pick up another of this author's books. This book was marginally more enjoyable than its predecessor, "Wideacre."
Although they are beautifully written, the characters are thoroughly unlikable and unbelievable. The story lines are trite and predictable. In this trilogy, the author has seemed to forget the tales' integrity and instead gone for shock value. Most of the characters in these books just need to be slapped or put out of their misery.
If you like drama-queen stories intended to shock, I would suggest reading any book by V.C. Andrews rather than this trilogy. At least most of the characters in the V.C. Andrews books cannot do anything to improve their situations merely by standing up and being human.
I have always said that no book read is a waste of time. I am sad to say I was wrong. These books have wasted valuable time that I could have spent on something more worthwhile.
I would recommend to ANY reader two other books by this author, and those would be the aforementioned "The Queen's Fool" and "The Other Boleyn Girl." Both are great reads and worth 5 stars--more if it were possible to rate them that highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, but touching, Nov. 15 2003
Jen. M. "murrayj51" (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
I was eager to read the second book in the Wideacre trilogy, and I found it just as well written and excellent as the first book. The heroine, Julia, is a tragic figure and any reader would easily feel sympathy for her and her life. In the wake of Beatrice's destructive path, Julia and her cousin/brother Richard grow up in the ruins of Wideacre. Both are determined that the estate should be restored to its former glory, but Julia is the 'favored child', the one with Beatrice's gift for healing the land. Being the favored child is a blessing and a curse. The people of the village love her, but Richard, her cousin/brother is consumed with jealousy and ruins their lives by destroying everything Julia loves. The ending is riddled with mystery as Julia gives her only daughter to the gypsy's so that she may grow up to escape the Wideacre curse. I cannot wait to read the third book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictively Infuriating!!!, May 12 2004
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
I have become a fast fan of Philippa Gregory, starting first with The Other Boleyn Girl before beginning the Wideacre trilogy. I cannot put them down. In this second work I find myself sad for Julia Lacey but infuriated with her at the same time. I want to jump into the book and strangle her for her stupidity and weakness but then check myself on the time which her character lives. You cannot help but pity little Julia and hope that she will summon the strength of her mama/aunt Beatrice, the Wideacre witch, and break from the intolerably cruel rule of her cousin/brother/husband Richard and give him his just desserts. I cannot wait to learn how it all ends. This trilogy makes great summer reading. A MUST READ!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favoured Child - amazing book!, Oct. 12 2010
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
Great book. If you like learning a bit about history while enjoying a great piece of fiction, then you would enjoy this book. This is the second book in the Wideacre Trilogy. It keeps in line with characters and themes from the previous book. Keeps you on your toes, takes you up and down and even more down. This book isn't about fairytales. The author is not afraid to get gritty and talk about raw topics. Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the others, Jan. 1 2010
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
I was looking for something to read and I found the favored child. I thought I would enjoy it since I read some of the authors other works. I was wrong. After the first two chapter, I was ticked off that the author would make such a weak and pathetic character. Philippa Gregory usually had strong heroines, but I hated this one. It also dragged on forever. I had to restart twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first !, June 24 2004
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
After reading Wideacre I expected this book's heroine to be evil and manipulative. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Phillipa Gregory had created a good, yet incredibly deep character. Julia Lacey is definately not a one dimensional herione and is no carbon copy of Beatrice. I can't wait til I read the third book, Meridon!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, June 5 2014
I really liked this book too! I love that it is a story that carries through from book to book. Was very excited to start reading the next book of the trilogy. Julia wanted so much to make it right. My heart went out to her!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Favored Child, April 10 2014
Julie Gilbert - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Favored Child: A Novel (Paperback)
This is the second book in the Wideacre trilogy and I really enjoy reading Philippa Gregory, so if you like historical fiction I highly recommend her books.

The Favored Child: A Novel
The Favored Child: A Novel by Philippa Gregory (Paperback - July 2 2003)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43