5.0 out of 5 stars Found hard to put down
This book has it all -- from the gory details of private relationships to the forgeries of america's youth trying to escape daily obligations, this book contains a wealth of propaganda difficult to put down.
Published on May 19 2004 by Chris Pesko

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Enjoy
I bought this book thinking that it would be filled with cute, interesting, odd, and humourous things found around the world. Instead, I have been very disappointed by the content. My first shock was that the entire book is in black and white, while I was definitely expecting it to be in full colour. Secondly, many of the found items (if not the majority, the most of...
Published on Sept. 29 2008 by C. Barke

5.0 out of 5 stars Found hard to put down, May 19 2004
Chris Pesko (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
Content ranges from humorous to touching. Raw material from people's every day lives requires the reader's imagination to put it all into context. Enlightening and enjoyable to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Booty Don't Stop, June 21 2004
amh (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
I keep this on my coffee table. Everyone who comes by my place picks it up, leafs through for a minute or two, then sits down and starts reading. And then we're always late, as I try to get them to put the book down and they read "just one more." Not that I blame them. Each page is more than a collage of worn notes or ripped photographs - they are untold stories, mysteries that will never be resolved. Did the lovers reconcile? Was the note discarded in anger by the recipent or was it never sent at all? Did Mario ever clear his muddied name? Now I walk with my eyes cast downward, looking for a crumpled bit of paper that could be ordinary trash, but just might be something worth finding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 24 2007
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
I don't read non-fiction all that often, but I was intrigued by FOUND when it was nominated as a 2007 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults. And I'm very glad I picked up a copy!

FOUND is, quite simply, a book filled with notes, letters, lists, pictures, and other miscellaneous items that have been found--either in the trash, on a sidewalk, stuck on a windshield, or just about anywhere else--that people have sent to the editors of FOUND Magazine for inclusion.

There is no real index to allow you to search for specific found items, but you can search by state. It doesn't really matter, though, because once you get started, you'll want to read the entire book. There are found items ranging from the funny, to the heartbreaking, to the downright insane ramblings of someone who obviously needs medication.

Some of my personal favorites include:

THIS PHASE OF YOURS found in Hoffman Estates, IL
FIND GOD, START DRINKING found in Lincoln, NE
MY OWN PRIVATE LIBRARY found in Casper, WY
AARON'S ALGEBRA TEST found in Portland, ME

This is definitely an informative and funny read. I'm looking forward to the release of FOUND II on May 2nd, which should be very educational, indeed!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars Not "found" but truly reborn..., May 18 2004
Barbara Brodsky (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
I laughed and cried my way through this book, couldn't put it down. It mixes the ludicrous, the joyful and the heartbreaking, offering a clear view into human nature. I see myself and those around me on every page, but with a loving heart fostered by Davy's sense of humor. I find myself wanting to know these people, actually seeing I DO know them, for they are me!
What I love most is that Davy had the wisdom to take these scraps we all see as trash and recognize them as rich compost, ready to be reborn into a fascinating source of wisdom, to delight us, surprise us, and to foster our ability to laugh at ourselves and our world. They show us at our best, worst and most vulnerable, show all our loves and fears. The book is a true teacher of compassion!
While Davy says there's no special order, the book fit together perfectly for me, leading me from one insight to another, one laugh to another. The layout that looks like a collection of scraps is perfect for the contents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novelty book, April 30 2004
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
Dave Rothbert had the clever idea of asking people to send him all those bits of scrap paper that you find in second-hand furniture or blowing in the wind with hand-written messages on them. Then he pasted them into a book.
Some of these little notes are laugh-out-loud funny. One woman excoriated her lover in a note left under the windshield wipers of a car parked outside a rival girlfriend's house that she thought belonged to him. She finished her letter with a postscript that read: Please call me. What was she thinking of?
It's amazing how many people curse out inconsiderate neighbors or car-parkers a blue streak and then politely end their message with "Thanks." The entertainment in the book is mostly in the incongruity of the messages. On the other hand, after a few pages the humor fades. Either the notes aren't especially amusing or they're obviously deliberate attempts at humor. At least, I hope the person asking for information on a lost cobra "answering to Psycho" was making a joke.
A couple of items are an odd choice for a mostly funny book. There's a heart-breaking letter from a woman incarcerated in the Nazi concentration camp at Theresienstadt signed "Widow" (underlined in German). Then there's a sooty, burned toothbrush found at Waco. The missing star on this review reflects the sense that not all readers will approve this juxtaposition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live it. Love it., May 7 2004
C. Ryono "my heart is a series of tubes" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
Davy Rothbart has created a wonderful thing with "Found." It's not just a magazine. It's a philosophy. His magazine and this equally amazing book is about seeing the beauty behind all things. Each of the notes and photographs have a story behind them. You resurrect the note when you pick it up off the sidewalk. You find value in a forgotten photo. One of my favorite notes is a conversation of a couple of teenage girls -- passing notes in class and fighting over a borrowed pen. The language is angry, but you can't tell how serious they are. But - it seems from the ending that some feelings have been hurt. The more aggressive of the two has gone too far when she taunts the other about having sex on a dryer and having to go to summer school. A community has formed around "Found" - hundreds of people who look twice at a scrap of paper on the sidewalk. Some of these treasures will make you cry, some will make you laugh. This colletion is enriching and fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars What have you found?, July 2 2004
John Matlock "Gunny" (Winnemucca, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
It reminds me a lot of cleaning off my desk (It's been said that my desk is messy). The things I find. Some of which I had been looking for for months, some of which I don't recognize at all.
This is a collection of things (mostly paper) that got found somewhere. Sometimes it's a shopping list. Sometimes it's a nasty note found on a windshield. Once it was a play, four pages long, except that they didn't find Page 3. Or a note, "After leaving the building, please lock this door. It will prevent unauthorized people from entering the building and defecating in the washing machines." From that you can make up any kind of story you want.
One time I got a letter. It was well reasoned and talked about some business related subject that I've forgotten. Only thing, it was written in crayon. After the signature was written, "Please excuse the crayon, they won't let us have anything sharp."

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Novel Really, May 18 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
The Found book is one of the best works of literature out there. It's written by all of us and masterfully crafted by Davy into a journey that is both heartbreaking and hysterical. It mirrors the way we experience life and how our own memory is mapped. It taps into one of our deepest urges -- to connect with one another and understand through them our own desires, fears, joy, pain...
If you read it you will undoubtably find your own anthem, "It stayed on the grill" or "I love you (when I'm on Zoloft)" or "It's small enough (when asked to reduce a mathmatical equation)" or "Page me Later" or "Roach Spray, Batteries, Watermelon" or "Reasons not to Love me...P.S. I want to build a life together," and the list goes on.
And if you find something really great, there's a kind of celebrity that comes with it-- you'll end up with a credit in a really great magazine.
The Captain

5.0 out of 5 stars earth beautification & anthropological observation, May 20 2004
janelle (new york, ny United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
ever since i learned about FOUND magazine i have been recommending it to friends, and even strangers. the book is just like the magazine, only larger and with praise from respected critics, writers and drew barrymore on the back cover... a compliation of many new found items and the best items from past issues of the magazine version. notes, photographs, letters, business cards, keys, a cat... all items lost or discarded that were later collected from all across the world, accompanied by speculations on the object and circumstances of the discovery of the objects, as written by the finders. a collaborative art project with thousands of contributors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry on my wayward son, They'll be peace when you are found, May 19 2004
Tim Smith (Middle America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Found (Paperback)
Quite simply, "Found, The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten" is taking the reigns of recognition in a long overlooked and uncredited self-publishing phenomenon. Like the chapbooks of old, this collection of snapshots showing the human experience are an honest effort that deserves any readers immediate attention. Rothbart and faithful followers have formed a fellowship that cherishes many of the great and not-so-great things in this world that have fallen by the wayside. This will change your perception of the day-to-day toil.

Found
Found by Davy Rothbart (Paperback - May 4 2004)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 15.19