summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 4, 2010
I read a lot of the other reviews before purchasing this book, and i have to say they were right on the money. Not only does this book give you the fact to deal with as a new father but presents them in a way that most guys would appreciate (taking on of the biggest challenges in your life and making it a fun adventure) Definately a must have for all us new dad's out there.
on June 18, 2004
I was so excited to give this book to my brother on the occasion of his wife's baby shower (why should he be left out of the fun!) He has since let me know that he has learned much and laughed often while reading his new baby guide. He also thinks the look of the book is cool - retro boy scout-style illustrations teamed with witty, practical information. My sister-in-law likes it, too! She loves that it gets him prepared not only for the baby, but also for the changes she's going through. Thanks for helping the Auntie-to-be and my family!
on January 4, 2010
Very easy to read, funny book. Really enjoyed the retro-styled illustrations. As a new parent of a 9 month old baby, the information provided in the book is useful and current.
on June 15, 2004
how about a new grandparent?- Actually it works for any caregiver. And serves as a refresher for those who raised kids long ago. I read it before I gave it to my son on the occasion of new-dadhood. So many child care books are serious and a bit scary but this is so much fun! -as well as enlightening on many baby care specifics. Just what a new parent (or grandparent) needs.
on June 19, 2004
Gary Greenberg and Jeannie Hayden have written a parenting book that is both highly informative and really funny. As a father-to-be (5 months and counting), "Be Prepared" has become my constant companion. Three words for anyone in need of solid parenting advice: Buy This Book.
on May 11, 2004
I love this book! It's hilarious, and at the same time, unbelievably helpful. It captures a new dad's state of mind perfectly.
There are illustrations everywhere, on how to do everything, like swaddling, burping, and babyproofing, and all these inventive ways to soothe a screaming baby, and how to keep yourself awake at work.
I read a couple of other books for new dads, and my eyes started to glaze over. But this book was so much fun that I couldn't put it down.
An added bonus: some pages in the book point you to a companion website where you can download audio files and video files and other helpful documents.
Highly recommended!
on July 13, 2004
Great, practical advice, except for getting a baby to sleep. It sounds harsh, but being a father of 4, including 4-month old twins, I found it better to simplify the bedtime ritual. For infants, put them in bed, kiss them goodnight, turn out the light, and close the door. For the twins, we let them put themselves to sleep. No rocking, no white noise, no music, no art of the transfer this time around. Much easier, and they sleep. Also, avoid using pacifiers. They become a crutch and god help you if you don't have one when you need them. Other then that, great advice.
on October 29, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and refer to it often. I'm a first time Dad and both Mom and I find this manual helpful, especially the short and concise sections.

We have a detailed Penelope Leach book that we refer to for 'heavy' reading covering more in depth issues and the psychology of child rearing, but Be Prepared has been a far more valuable day-to-day reference.

What you'll get:

*A well organized, insightful, easy to use manual on basic baby care

*Covers the newborn up to 12 months including feeding, changing, pets, toys, travel, camping and parental relationships (sexy time)

*Useful facts and techniques that you can instantly apply to help understand and soothe your baby

*Humour and cool art- the authors actually went to the trouble to make this book both informative and a fun journey to read and remember

An especially good book for Dad. Its the kind of gift I would have loved to receive as an expecting Father.

Todd Millar
on November 17, 2010
I had purchased this book for a friend who was expecting based on the reviews on Amazon. I just purchased another copy for my husband as we are now too expecting. It's a fabulous book (especially for those hubbies out there who would rather have their noses in ESPN magazine then ANY book). It's written in small chunks which makes perfect (let's be honest) bathroom reading material. My hubby is learning so much about what to expect in the upcoming months without me forcing him to read about it in some clinical book. Highly recommend this to any new Dad!!
on July 30, 2014
This book is great. I purchased it for a stocking stuffer at Christmas for my husband as I was pregnant. I didn't really expect him to read it. After our daughter was born he started to quote the book. As difficult situations arose he would look them up in the table of contents and tell me what to do. I also found myself reading it, for good ideas, easy short to the point and it's really funny. I have recommended it to all my friends for their husbands. A must have.