5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered
Published on Oct. 20 2003 by David R. Munson

1.0 out of 5 stars All Hype and Nothing I Didn't Already Know
Very, very basic information. As for those 100 web sites, you don't need to buy this book to find them. Go to any news web site (CNBC, ABCNEWS.COM or MARKETWATCH) and you'll get the information in this book plus more web links than you could ever want. Sorry Beth but this is old, old news.
Published on July 19 2000 by Tom, a recent college graduate

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered, Oct. 20 2003
David R. Munson (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
My father bought this book for me and it's been absolutely great to read and take notes from. It isn't deep, it isn't complicated, but it does have some very good information in it. I'm 21, about to graduate from college, and admittedly don't exactly have the best financial practices in the world. This book has already helped me get more organized and on-the-ball with my finances, though, and I think it's something I'll keep around as reference for some time. A previous reviewer complained that the book is shortsighted and only targeted at people in their 20s and 30s. Well, so what? If you want more in-depth, there are more than enough books out there to cover all the things you could possibly want to know. This isn't meant to be a guiding light for your personal finance from now until you die. it is meant for younger people and it serves them quite well, I think. It's not a limitless resource or something for people already well-versed in good personal finance management. If you're looking for a handy book with practical, real-world advice, though, then this should serve you quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finances made easier, June 20 2003
Finally, a book that doesn't assume your money woes are allowing your heirs to intherit their trust funds with as little tax as possible, finding the best long term care insurance, or how to save money by clipping coupons and doing every house project yourself. (I even read a book on frugality once that suggested getting a goat, because you won't have to mow your lawn anymore and you can have fresh milk everyday)
How about a book for someone who knows that the best time to invest is when you are young, but is intimidated by the purposefully complicated langauge of the financial world? That would be this book. It is written very comprehensively, occasionally so much so that it feels a little "dumbed down", but that is okay.
Get a financial life starts with the basics of the basics. Setting up a checking account and an emergency savings fund, and avoiding bank fees while you do it. I couldn't help but to think, if you are in your thirties and don't have a checking account yet, you need more help than this book could provide...but anyway, this book then goes on to cover credit cards, auto insurance, health insurance, 401k plans vs. IRAs and Roth IRA's, mutual funds. It does it in a way which is not so dry to read that you feel like falling asleep, and not so demanding that you know you will never be able to accomplish your finacial goals without spending your life huddled over a calculator.
I would gladly loan this book to anyone who is going to be on their own for the first time. You HAVE TO know this stuff if you are going to make it in the real world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Financial Book for Planning Ahead, June 19 2003
By A Customer
I read this book when I turned 21. It was the best decision financially I had ever made. I was already in debt from educational loans, credit cards, and charges. After reading this book and 2yrs later, I'm on my way to financial freedom as well as the knowledge of things to look for when making large purchases, investing, retiring, and budgeting. I got an excellent deal on a great car by reading this book before purchasing. Its a must have for anyone between the ages of 18-40.
I even purchased a copy for my mother, who is 50 and she has made drastic financial changes based on suggestions made in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Guide to a Financial Life, April 27 2003
By A Customer
Beth Kobliner's guide to getting a financial life is an easy to understand book. Kobliner broke the book up into different chapters such as banking, debt, insurance, etc. so that you can read the book straight through or read the various sections pertaining to you. Also, the first chapter is "Crib Notes" containing eight important steps to having a good financial life for time-pressed readers, or simply those who will never read the whole book.
Although the book is geared to those in their twenties and thirties, it has helpful information for anyone dealing with finances and how to secure your financial future. Kobliner not only advises you on what to do, but also gives you the resources, such as companies to contact for information on loans, insurance, and consolidating your debt.
The book is most helpful, because it gives you all the information that you should know, but probably don't. It covers just about everything one needs to know to establish a good financial life, and it's an easy book to get through.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent advice in an easy-to-understand format, Jan. 2 2003
momazon "cjd" (Astoria, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Many of us are in poor financial health -- if not, all-out financial trouble -- due to fear and lack of understanding. Due to the stigma of financial ignorance, we allow ourselves to stay mired in debt or not organize our investments so we get better returns, rather than ask for help.
Well, help is here in a great little book by Beth Kobliner. She covers the basics -- even synopsizes them in her first chapter if you don't have time to read the whole book just yet. Everything from tracking your expenses to getting out of debt to understanding a 401(k) to buying your own home. This book is a must-have and a must-keep --- if you plan to earn money, plan on having a copy of this book handy. It will serve you well past your 30s!

4.0 out of 5 stars Advice for young adults, Nov. 22 2002
Mark D. Wolfinger (Evanston, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This book covers many of the basic requirements needed by those in the early stages of their financial lives. The advice is excellent and the author points out the importance of beginning a savings and investing program while still young. In addition, she covers many topics offering good guidance for her readers everyday lives, including how to decide between renting or buying, how to find a bank and choose the right type of account to open, etc. My only complaint with her advice is the suggestion readers "consider mutual funds your entire investment universe, at least for now." That is bad advice. Now is the time for learning how to invest in individual stocks and how to use options to make those investments safer. Learning how to make careful stock selections is worth the time and effort, and IMHO, using mutual funds is not the path to financial success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for College Students!, Sept. 21 2002
Sarah Wu - See all my reviews
I bought this book when I was in college and 4 years later I still refer to it when I'm in need of information. Kobliner outlines the basic, yet pretty important, financial topics. Definitely good for beginners, maybe not for those with a complex understanding of finance. Regardless, if you feel out of control, this book will help.
I found the following information the most helpful:
Chapter 2 - Taking Stock of Your Financial life
Chapter 6 - 401K Planning
Chapter 7 - Renters and Homeownership
Chapter 8 - Insurance
Every 6 months I refer back to page 42, Kobliner's guide to what financial information you need to hang onto and what you can throw out now.
Overall great information (but you need to apply it to make it work for you)!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will get your life in order, Sept. 10 2002
By A Customer
Easy to read and use, this very practical guide for taking charge of your finances will help you get out of debt, learn to save money (even if you don't make that much) and plan for your future. Very recommendable for people fresh out of college and couples about to get married. This will save you awkward moments and hard conversations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting copies for all my friends!, July 26 2002
Michele Mellott (Annapolis, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I'm 27 years old and I wish I'd discovered this book when I was in high school or college. The world of personal financial management was a mystery to me before reading this book. Kobliner writes in a direct way, defining terms and cutting to the chase. She offers sound advice on anything from basic goal setting to investments, home-buying, retirement, you name it. I really appreciated her demystification of financial jargon and the fact that the advice provided in each chapter builds on information learned from previous chapters in a logical way. I cannot recommend this book enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars I teach with this book!, April 19 2002
Naomi Tzril Saks (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great, simple, straight forward book for people in their 20's and 30's. I use much of the information in workshops I teach on personal and professional finanaces for people is these age ranges. It's the basic info people want clearly organized.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›